AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i`m searchings shops (uk) for the cheapest price for a x1 and i keep coming across the x1 educator aswell the only differance i see between the x1 and x1 educator is that the educator comes with a spare lamp..

are these exactly the same pj`s or in my noobie way am i missing something

cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
The X1 Educator is indeed the same as a standard X1 but as you say with a spare bulb - I purchased one of these myself recently. It was 50 pounds more expensive than the standard X1. The only other thing to mention is that it will not be supplied with a S-Video to component adaptor which as far as I can tell most UK X1's are still bundled with. Oh, and according to the spec sheet its 1100 ANSI lumens as oppossed to 1000!!

Paul.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Lazy me... I did a search for "X1 Educator" and came up with lots of links. It seems to be a UK package. It looks like most sites sell it for less than a standard X1 + a bulb, so it may be a cheap way to get a backup lamp if you want one.

The first site I found sells the Educator for LESS than the standard X1
http://www.laptopsetc.co.uk/acatalog...rojectors.html

which made me think you'd have to prove you're a teacher or student and entitled to an educational discount or something. But I don't see any sign of that at the site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys :) may as well get that package 6000hrs of lamps worth or 8000hrs according to the new firmware, sounds sweet to me.

pawil how much is this lead you talk off ? do u have a link?

will this lead connect my pc up to the pj and dvd player (my gfx card has s-video out) also its gonna have to be mega long as i`m going to run leads through the walls for neatness..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi LOgiX21

the part number is SP-VIDEO-ADPT and is used to conect comonent interlaced output to the X1 (usually the DVD player). I paid 6 pounds sterling (+P&P) and its rather poor quality. As the X1 uses a modified S-video socket, with extra pins, I don't think an alternative will be available.

Paul

infocus_x1_educator.pdf 169.4619140625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by L0giX21
pawil how much is this lead you talk off ? do u have a link?

will this lead connect my pc up to the pj and dvd player (my gfx card has s-video out) also its gonna have to be mega long as i`m going to run leads through the walls for neatness..
If you are going to use s-video from the DVD player then you won't need the adapter, just use a straight s-video cable. The adapter is used for interlaced component (YPbPr) signals only.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't understand the advice to just use an s-vhs cable. Shouldn't component video be better than s-vhs even if it's interlaced? I was under the impression that the s-vhs to component adapter should produce the very best video since it would be component and would be processed by DCDi?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Actually, I said if he is going to use s-video. I'm not that familiar with SCART and the various connection options available to UK X1 owners, but in this case he stated that he has s-video output so I suggested if he was going to do s-video then he has no need to buy the adapter.

You are correct that interlaced component input via the s-video adapter cable utilizes the DCDi, but so also does the s-video input (and the composite interlaced input). So DCDi is used in either case.

In theory, interlaced component should be better than plain s-video, but in practice many X1 owners have said they see little or no improvement over s-video. Many users have reported much more noticable improvements by going to progressive component, but even that seems to vary depending on the user's equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.