AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to digital multimedia projectors and am mulling my first purchase for home theater and related.

I am considering the Infocus X1, Epson S1, Benq BP7100 and the Dell MP 2100. Can anybody give me some advice and comparative views on any of these? Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
infocus x1 is the best.

Moderator note: Removed pricing and "where to buy" information. dchow1981, please read the Forum Posting Guidelines which are sticky-posted at the top of the forum... these are not subjects for discussion at this website. Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
dchow1981 has spoken. Everyone sell your current equipment and buy the X1 - it's the best :)

I have an S1 and love it. Search this forum for owner reviews, and also check out projectorcentral.com for some reviews and ratings. Some things I noted when researching my purchase:

Infocus X1 - rainbow effect may be bothersome - test drive before buying. Specs look impressive, but do not represent a properly calibrated (for Home Theatre use) unit.

Epson S1 - personal experience has revealed image quality varies quite a bit from one unit to the next (I am very picky). Picture quality (with a gray screen and no ambient light) appears to be better than the specs suggest.

Panasonic units seem to be well liked, but I could not find any to demo around here.

Sony and Sanyo units seem to have more bulb issues than others - a problem for someone like me, who's on a REALLY tight budget.

Canon LS-V2 - very nice quality unit with amazing opticals. Brighter than specs suggest, but contrast appears worse than specs suggest. Terrible colour 'banding' (not enough different colours available)

I didn't look into the Dell or Benq projectors at all. I wanted to buy from a retail outlet close to home.

Hope I haven't offended anyone with these remarks :) These are just my impressions, and what I based my buying decision on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Dell 2100, I don't notice rainbows but a friend of mine came in and explained exactly what they were and now I see them once in a while. It still doesnt bother me. The picture Quality is excellent, it's really bright and thanks to component input picture looks really sharp. I also use it with my Xbox, Halo has never looked better.. They only problem I can see is the resolution. I compared it with proxima x350 and there is a big difference. All the projectors you listed will be good as long as you don't care about the rainbox effect and 800x600 resolution. I would suggest that go for a used high resolution LCD projector. Offcourse CRTs are the best but my God are they huge? I'd love to own one of those but can't coz I live in an appartment.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My advice - start with the X1. Why? It is clearly the most popular dp currently in production and is cheap. It also has a liberal demo policy. So start with a demo of the X1. If you LOVE it and aren't bothered by rainbows, buy it and enjoy. If you don't LOVE it, there are other fish in the sea, so keep looking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.