AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into an apt. I have a 30" samsung CRT widescreent. The image is great, and the set is great, its just big. I can pretty much sell it for what I paid (minus the $85 it cost me to degauss after moving) so I was thinking about getting a projector. I will be using this 90% of the time to watch DVD moves from a cheapo DVD player (Ill probably just use svideo and let the farudja work its magic) and I might get cable or an OTA tuner down the road. My question is this , based on my floorplan here

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/514098_w.gif

what do you all think about an apartment of this size with a projector. I plan on either putting it on a coffee table or ceiling mount it (Im not sure what it entails, if I can do it with a power drill, I will , but Im not sure what other tools Id need). It will be either on a coffee table in front of a couch (so maybe 4' from the wall ) or ceiling mounted . Ill be projecting on a white painted wall over my bed. (Ill probably have to tilt or prop the projector so Im not projecting onto the bed, which is about 3' off the ground. The room has 1 window (you can see it in the floorplan) and I can shut the blinds to make it pretty dark. Ill probably only use it at night anyway. Id like to hear suggestions/comments on this setup before I sell my CRT . As always, thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That space is made for a projector. Do it, you'll never look back!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the question is X1 or 4805 . I dont know if the extra $200 for the 4805 is worth it. Is the chip in the 4805 a newer chip compared to the x1?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Yes, it uses a newer chip. The x1 is a 4:3 native projector while the 4805 is 16:9 native (perfect for widescreen dvd). The blacks are deeper and the contrast is up to 3x better on the 4805.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Im going to go for the 4805. If I can sell my CRT and break even, Ill do it. I love the CRT, hopefully Ill be equally enthralled with the picture form the PJ.

My main question at this point. Does anyone think a 26/7 inch or 30 inch LCD would be a better choice. Mind you, Id be getting the CHEAPEST LCD possible in that size

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I find it to be a significant difference between a 26-30" display vs an 80+" display. Don't you think? :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Is that an 18ft throw?

I'm doing an install right now with a 4805 and at max size I'm getting a killer 132"!

Victor

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
IMO, 18' would be too much. 4' from the wall (making it 14') would be more ideal with either ceiling mounting or table.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Ja,

I respectfully disagree :D

I (and my client) wanted the biggest image we could get. And with the brightness output the 4805 gives, we're happy

YMMV

Victor

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
with x1/4805 right next to the couch you are going to

be bothered by the noise. Keep in mind that X1 and 4805

are the loudest among the entry level PJ's. Unless you can

ceiling mount it if the apt. people agree to it.

I would keep the CRT as nothing can beat the PQ of a CRT

even though the image is small.

Put the money in a ROTH IRA :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
mprover,

My apartment has a living room of same dimensions as yours. Go for it!

My 4805 and 88" screen fit just right :cool:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd
I (and my client) wanted the biggest image we could get. And with the brightness output the 4805 gives, we're happy
Well it is all a matter of personal opinion but 132" for 4805 is simply ludicrous, not enough light and too much screen door.

Sorry but I think that if you recommend such setups you don't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in a similar sized studio and I got the 76" pull down screen included with my 4805. I'm viewing it at about 17' away and it's plenty big enough, at least for me. Where you mount the PJ will dictate a lot of what you can get away with for screen size. If table mounting it, I'd recommend keeping it several feet in front of you to lessen the impact of it's noise.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments. I sold my CRT today , so I now have the cash to get a PJ. I was able to get what I paid for the CRT (thanks craigslist) I was worried that the image would be too small, but I really did not mess around with the throw/diagonal calc .... till now. I have a white wall that Im going to start out with. I might get a pull down at some point, but would rather not spend any more money than I have to (if I were to spend $100 for a pull down , Id probably be forced into an X1). I assume you would all recomend a ND-2 Filter as well. At this point, Id rather cieling mount it. Ive found a ton of cheap mounts on fleabay. Im assuming Id have to mount the mount on a stud. Im in an apt building (like 20 floors of apts) so I dont know if there are studs in the cieling. Any comments on what I should do?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the X1 mounted to the ceiling only with drywall screws. It works fine, it only weighs 7 pounds after all. I'd highly recommend buying a very cheap CRT TV to use for everyday viewing and using the projector for "special" events, otherwise you'll blow through bulbs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im in med school , so basically the only time Ill be watching TV is for special events. I dont have cable, although I will eventually decide between an OTA box ( I got GREAT reception with the HDTV's built in tuner) or pay comcast $11.50 for basic service, then upgrade it to HDTV for like $5 more a month.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Id have to mount the mount on a stud. Im in an apt building (like 20 floors of apts) so I dont know if there are studs in the cieling. Any comments on what I should do?
I have an all concrete ceiling. I drilled two holes and then screwed flat anchors. The 4805 is not too heavy, so is the "mandarax" mount I used. Check my gallery for pics.

:cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I dont know exactly where I should mount it. Below is a picture of the area of my apt where Ill be sitting. I can build a shelf into the wall or cieling mount (possibly the former, but Im worried about too big an image at that distance , like 17 feet)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../000_00271.jpg

Im also worried about the AC unit thats in the corner by my computer. I know these things arent supposed to be placed close to ACs, but I wonder how many people have crappy floor mounted acs like I do . A couch will most likeley go where the boxes/lax sticks/lamp is. That wall that justs out by the AC will convieniently help me hide the cords, and my PC is right there to possibly feed content.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.