AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear from owners (or anyone who would

know) about the following :


Reading from the x1's manual (it is great to put it online

infocus, thanks btw !) :
http://www.infocus.com/service/x1/us...ug-english.pdf

On page 12, in the table, for DVD progressive / Component Video,

it says "Component Video [connection] requires third party

breakout cable"

and seems to imply that progressive scan dvd output needs to

go into the vga plug rather than component input ...


What does that breakout cable look like ? what does it do ?

is it common/easy to find ? Does the pj really accept both RGB

and component video through the same plug ? what happens

if progressive scan component is fed through the normal component

input (s-video plug extra pins) ?


A related question is : is the faroudjia internal processing of the

X1 likely to produce as good/better PQ as a medium price range

progressive scan DVD player such as Sony's DVP-NS755V ?


(in other words, is it worth having a prog. scan player with the x1?)


So: Has any lucky owner of the x1 tried progressive scan dvd

connection, how ? any difference between 480i and 480p

in PQ ?


ps: any idea why the "official" thread is locked ??


TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone using progressive scan dvd player with an X1 yet ?


I took the plunge and ordered one anyway, but I'd love

to know what I'll need in term of cabling... (and if the

progressive scan will help... I guess If I don't hear, I

will experiment and report to the forum !)


thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
the cable is about 3 inches long. On one end is the svideo like male plug but it has extra pins, on the other end is 3 separate 3" cables with rca male plugs corresponding to the component colors red, green and blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
i have jet to plug the thing into my dvd player via component. It's not progressive though.


I'm very pleased with the projector. You won't be dissapointed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply !

Quote:
Originally posted by anthonyc
the cable is about 3 inches long. On one end is the svideo like male plug but it has extra pins, on the other end is 3 separate 3" cables with rca male plugs corresponding to the component colors red, green and blue.
But you meant female right ? (As component

cables are male on both sides, so the X1 adapter

needs to be female...)


I'm curious about progressive scan... and that breakout thing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I can't seem to get the progressive input to work. I am using the breakout cable that came with the projector(as described above). The projector displays a dual side by side picture(somewhat distorted). Then it goes into a loop trying to recognize the signal. I finally gave up waiting for someone with more experience to figure it out.


But even at 480i using S-video or component w/ adapter. The picture is amazing! Maybe because of the faroudjia.


If anyone can get the 480p to work, I would like to know how you did it. I don't think I am not alone on this. I read in another thread, someone else was having the same issue. Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I'm getting 480 p to work but it's just from my vb50 running through the vga. At least the signal indicator on the projector is saying 480p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
The Tsunami HT720 would make a great breakout plug for component input.

It does come in pairs though.

See attached file.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
dl, I think kenroyhfp answered the question of what a progressive signal via the S-Video/Componant input looks like :)

There's a site sponser that you can click on at the top of the page (Better cables) that has RCA to DB15 cable you'd need to send a signal to the VGA port (which is the only way this unit can be feed progressive) - but IMO, the cost of a new DVD player to replace my interlaced unit isn't justified based on the feedback of the 480i quality.


Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gks,


Indeed... Unfortunatly I already ordered a new Sony 755 progressive scan (also for the sacd feature, so I guess even if I don't use the progressive scan, the better DACs, etc... should justify the upgrade from my old Apex 600A (I'll test both and report)) and now I will want to see whether it or the x1's processing will produce the best image. I looked at bettercables breakout cable but it is a bit above my price range, maybe I'll get a cheap computer one + bnc-rca adapters instead, for a test. I have a digital camera so I will post pictures (hopefully as soon as tomorrow if my dealer and infocus (it ships directly from there) keeps their promise)

Quote:
Originally posted by gks
dl, I think kenroyhfp answered the question of what a progressive signal via the S-Video/Componant input looks like :)

There's a site sponser that you can click on at the top of the page (Better cables) that has RCA to DB15 cable you'd need to send a signal to the VGA port (which is the only way this unit can be feed progressive) - but IMO, the cost of a new DVD player to replace my interlaced unit isn't justified based on the feedback of the 480i quality.


Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent McCall
The Tsunami HT720 would make a great breakout plug for component input.

It does come in pairs though.

See attached file.
This looks like an S-Video breakout, not a component - vga as the X1 manual seems to imply is required (hopefully just a cable and not a converter ?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top