1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the pictures I took while setting up my new X1 :

http://data.demailly.com/x1_pics/

Detail of my setup:

Ordered pj Tuesday late afternoon, shipped directly from Infocus Wednesday, got it Thursday (paid for 1 day shipping to be sure to have it for the week-end); 80x45 dalite B screen; sony 755 dvd player; monster component cables

First impressions :

positive:

- great picture (great colors and contrast, very sharp too)

- great price

negative (though the list is longer, I still think I bought a great pj) / wish list :

- runs quite hot, front blow

- a little rainbow

- screen door is I think more noticeable than lp335 for instance (xga)

- noise is noticeable/quite high (maybe because mine is located just behind the seating position) and mine does have some higher pitch noise

- component -> s-video cable/adapter does not look high quality (see 4th picture above)

- progressive scan dvd needs a special, hard to find cable (I have yet to try that, this week end maybe) [my copy of the manual does not mention that, but the one online does... see my other thread]

- wishes: more zoom, less/no built in vertical tilt (would avoid for me having to use reverse keystone and use more of the center of the lens and would thus probably get even better pq)

Questions/Issues I still have:

- color temperature "cool" seems warmer than the other 2 (because of video mode?)

- how to explicitly turn on/off the white segment ?

- what are the source 1-4 menu options/settings for (you can select s video, composite, or computer) ?

Sample picture from the link above:

For instance this close up of screen door:
http://data.demailly.com/x1_pics/img_3314_std.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi DL,

which material on the Da-lite screen?

haw far away from screen did you start noticing screen door?

regards,

Jose

·
Registered
312 Posts
dl, I set my X1 up yesterday. I have to agree with you on great picture and great price. I do have some questions/comments on your negatives.

negative (though the list is longer, I still think I bought a great pj) / wish list :

- runs quite hot, front blow

mine is sitting on a table in front of a couch. I can hardly hear it. And that is without the sound system working. Although I have not watched a complete movie, just bits and pieces of various ones, I have not noticed very much heat or very much air coming out the front.

- a little rainbow

Not seen any yet.

- screen door is I think more noticeable than lp335 for instance (xga)

On your screendoor pics, it is much more noticeable than mine. When I get my nose against the screen I see what your pictures show. However, the "screen" it appears I am looking through is very much smaller than yours. Could it be because of screen size? Mine is 80 x 60.

- noise is noticeable/quite high (maybe because mine is located just behind the seating position) and mine does have some higher pitch noise

Again, mine is very quite and not noticeable. No high pitch whine either. Maybe this is because mine has yet to be on for more 45 minutes at a time.

- component -> s-video cable/adapter does not look high quality (see 4th picture above)

Agree, seems very cheap!

- progressive scan dvd needs a special, hard to find cable (I have yet to try that, this week end maybe) [my copy of the manual does not mention that, but the one online does... see my other thread]

I need on as well for HD cable connections. let me know where you find one.

- wishes: more zoom, less/no built in vertical tilt (would avoid for me having to use reverse keystone and use more of the center of the lens and would thus probably get even better pq)

Will probably feel the same way when I get to mounting this thing.

Bottom line, I would buy the X1 again.

patrick

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the review and pic's - I've been a little leary about that adaptor. My unit is scheduled to arrive today, and the first test I intend to do is a direct compare of PQ between an interlaced componant DVD via the SVideo port and a HTPC feed via the RGB.

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can the sharpness be softened or the projector slightly defocused to minimize/eliminate the screendoor? There is a good discussion of this by Tom Guitarman in the Sharp Z90 thread.

·
Registered
922 Posts
How big of a picture are you projecting and what material for the screen are you using? Also, what distance do you start to notice screen door?

Got one coming too, pics look great.

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by robpf
Can the sharpness be softened or the projector slightly defocused to minimize/eliminate the screendoor? There is a good discussion of this by Tom Guitarman in the Sharp Z90 thread.
Yes, defocusing helps (the electronic sharpness in the settings don't seem to do much)

Quote:
Originally posted by josesol (and almost same Q by dj7675:)
which material on the Da-lite screen?

haw far away from screen did you start noticing screen door?
Matte White.

in my current sitting position, you sort of still see it (it's 11' or so from the screen), unfortunatly I can't push my futon much further back because there is the projector there (unless I'd go for ceiling mount I guess). It does not bother me on moving images though.

The image is 80" wide.

For patrick21: I would buy it again too, I'm surprised your unit seems cooler and quieter than mine, maybe mine is not normal ? or you're lucky ? How far away from you 80" image do you sit ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
dl,

in my temp setup I sit back about 14 feet. In another thread I posted about screen door. On Monsters Inc at the beginning the words "Walt Disney" are in white and about 10 inches tall. The background is light blue. If I am looking for screendoor I can see it at around 8 feet, if I am looking for it. If not, them i have to get very close, less than 4 feet to see the screendoor without looking.

Maybe I need new glasses.

As for the fan noise, when I turn it on I would guess it is in the presentation mode. If so, then the Infocus picture displayed would be about 30% brighter than video. The fan noise is hardly existent. I do not leave it in that mode for long before switching over to video. Again, I have not had the projector on for more than 45 minutes at a time. When, and if, I get it mounted on the ceiling, I will be leaving it on for considerable more time than 45 minutes. Maybe the fan will get louder. I hope not. If it does, I will let you know.

patrick

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could not find anything locally (bay area; tried cc, gg, radioshack,

compusa, etc...) so I ordered online

a VGA - 5 BNC adapter + 3 BNC - RCA (male unfortunatly)

+ 3 RCA-RCA coupler to get a female component rca - vga cable !

($38 total shipped) and will report when I get it on whether it

is better than the built in processing

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Hi DL,

I've had my projector for about a week now? I think..

I noticed that I can no longer watch any movies, even in absolute darkness, with the default 50 setting for film or video while watching DVD's on my Panasonic DVD 82P. It has progressive but I'm using s-video to s-video.

First dvd i watched was monster's inc. It was nice an bright. I watched it again..and I noticed that I cannot tolerate the darkness of the picture with it set on the defaults anymore. It is too dark. In fact I think it faded a little.

I think this may be me..but can you watch your projector and see if it "fades" on you?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speedy,

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyHTPC
Hi DL,

I've had my projector for about a week now? I think..

I noticed that I can no longer watch any movies, even in absolute darkness, with the default 50 setting for film or video while watching DVD's on my Panasonic DVD 82P. It has progressive but I'm using s-video to s-video.

First dvd i watched was monster's inc. It was nice an bright. I watched it again..and I noticed that I cannot tolerate the darkness of the picture with it set on the defaults anymore. It is too dark. In fact I think it faded a little.

I think this may be me..but can you watch your projector and see if it "fades" on you?
I sure hope my projector won't fade ! I only had it for two evenings so far, and put 10 hours on the lamp... so it is too early to tell... I'll let you know if I find anything odd.

Maybe when you first watched you had the white segment on ? try using the "presentation" settings to put it back ? (or factory settings reset maybe too ?) - though with the white segment it should be too bright, unless you have a lot of ambient light (and then anyway it wouldn't be too good for movies...)

·
Registered
201 Posts
6 hours here no fading that I can see. Try switching between the presentation mode and thatre mode obviously it will grow dimmer but is that what you are noticing?

Or are you talking about while watching a movie with continued steady bright scenes the image dims slightly then brightens for a moment then dims again?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonyc
...Or are you talking about while watching a movie with continued steady bright scenes the image dims slightly then brightens for a moment then dims again?
That would certainly be negative. Have you seen this?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I ran my X1 for about 4 hours today. No fading and no increase in sound. So far it's been very solid with no ambiguities.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
No ..none of the above...I will keep watching myself. No cause for alarm yet..

I don't use presentation. That mode is only for computer as far as I can see. I am using a custom setting, off of the film's preset. I don't see a good contrasting pic or brightness with all 50's. Mine is at 75 contrast with 70 brightness. I project to a wall.

This thing better not fade. Go register for your free warranty on their site.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.