AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading 6 months of material in 2 weeks, I came to the conclusion that the X1 was the right projector for me. This is where the adventure begins. Having aquired the money to purchase the unit it was time to strike out, and seek this mythical creature. I made a trip to the local BB with a handful of dead presidents, and upon arriving at the store to my suprise they were sold out. Ok no problem. Right? Well lets see I was told they didn't know when they would be receiving any X1's. I asked about them ordering me one, I was told they couldn't order it. Supposedly they are given an allotment of them. Strike 1

No problem. I proceeded to locate a store within reasonable distance. Great! The BB in Garner, NC. They had three in stock. So I proceeded to drive from Fayetteville, NC. One-way 45minutes. Got the X1, and set out for hometheater heaven. I got the proj. home and fired her up. "Wow, this thing is awesome." I told myself. I used it Thursday, and Friday. HDTV is excellent. Quick sidenote having read all the proported rainbow problems I was sceptical. No rainbows so far. I think some people look for problems. Yea If I were to wave my hand in front of my face there would be rainbows. Thats the only way. Maybe Im lucky. Okay back to the story at hand. Friday night upon finishing up with the movie Heat, I approached the screen to check it over for any problems. Uh oh. Whats this? Oh It can't be. Yes it is. A dead pixel. My heart fell on the floor. Upon futher examination it appeared that it might not have been dead, but looked like the bottom corner was broke off. On a black screen it showed up as a white spot. Saturday morning at 1:00am I packed the proj. up for the trip back. I took it back they exchanged it no problem.They even appologized. Great people at that store, really helpfull. Get my new X1, and head home. Set it up watched tv all day Saturday. Then that night after watching the Arkansas vs. Alabama game in HD. I checked the screen not only there was there a dead pixel there was a wierd round spot about the size of a 50 cent piece. The pixel was in the middle of the screen. It wasn't noticable at all. I thought I can live with this. Sunday morning I got some canned air to blow what I thought was a dust blob out. No go. It was not a blob but something wrong with the optics. Not sure exactly what, but when I defocused it looked like a gash of white. Okay here we go again. I packed her up and took her back. The guy at BB hooked it up and verified what I was seeing. Again no problems, except one they were sold out. Strike 2

Wow, I thought this sucks. Maybe I am cursed. I have know ordered online from BB, and the proj. should be here tommorow. Am I the only one that has had this problem I mean jeez two in a row. I even called Infocus and told them about my experience they were baffled. I know DLP is supposed to be rock solid. After reading the whitepapers I am sure this was a rare occurance. By the way Infocus is awesome they answered everyone of my questions. They are extremely nice people. Hopefully this time I will not have the same problem. I don't want to strike out.

Anyone with similiar experiences or comments please feel free. Do any of you have bad pixels. Do you think it was a fluke?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
why don't you wait a little longer than 30 minutes before bumping your own thread? as far as your questions go you should take a look at the myriad threads on the X1.

on second thought why don't you just try another X1?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Coming from a perfectionist (trust me on this one - i'm obsessed). No technology is perfect. I repeat no technology is perfect.

It's my opinion that if you can't see the "imperfection" whether it be a stuck mirror, dead pixel, dust, blob, or whatever from your "normal viewing distance" then don't worry about it.

For what you have invested in your X1 you could buy 3 X1's for the cost of a compariable unit. Again this is just my opinion.

I have my X1 on order from Dell. Lord knows I hope everything is kosher, because I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with Dell! - #1 Customer Service my @$$ :rolleyes:

At any rate I hope everything works out for you and of course I wish you the best of luck with your Home Theater. I can't wait to watch every DVD in my collection and with the money I saved from not purchase a more expensive projector I can now buy a truckload of new DVD's

Happy viewing!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think after all the hype on the dlp website that it would be dead pixel free. Okay I know nothing is perfect. I can live with the light spill, the supposed rainbows. I cannot stand a dead pixel. Thats why I skipped right over lcd tech. Thanks for the comments. I plan to watch all my movies also. I need to move my Str-Da2es receiver into the living room though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
if you want the best picture with out any flaws buy a direct view crt. the only downside to these are size, weight, and lack of screen real estate. all other technology has more downsides and/or flaws compared to these. granted they are not the most technologically advanced, they are tried and true. in order to experience huge pictures and all that you have to be willing to take a risk and give up some of that tried and true technology.

I know that you will love your projector. You will just have to understand, just like i have, that to be an early adopter of technology that one must sacrifce some things. In this case a true flawless image. then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder or some other nonsense :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True. I can live with a bad pixel as long as its not in the black area of 16:9 material. That makes them really stand out. Hopefully I will get lucky with this next proj. Yes I do love the X1. I couldn't afford a 2500 dollar HDTV RPTV. I told my friend I wouldnt get into HD until the prices came down. The X1 was the answer. It brought me into another niche of the hometheater market. The X1 is awesome.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
I know DLP is supposed to be rock solid.
How do you know this?

Quote:
No technology is perfect. I repeat no technology is perfect.
I want to repeat it with you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after reading all the documention, and whitepapers regarding dlp I made the hypothesis that the technology is highly reliable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I had to take a pj with a dead/stuck mirror, I would prefer it in the black bar area of widescreen movies and just mask the screen.

Better a dead mirror in the unused area than in the viewing area IMO

Good luck with #3 and don't forget to just enjoy it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sent mine back to BB with four out, in the same area. Bought the HT1000 instead.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You said that you did not see any dead pixels, two movies I suggest trying are X-men the beginning sequence, and Moulin Rouge where all the men in tuxedos are approaching Nicole Kidman during her opening sequence. If you do not see rainbows in those two movies then you are not affected and enjoy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optikill
if you want the best picture with out any flaws buy a direct view crt. the only downside to these are size, weight, and lack of screen real estate. all other technology has more downsides and/or flaws compared to these. granted they are not the most technologically advanced, they are tried and true. in order to experience huge pictures and all that you have to be willing to take a risk and give up some of that tried and true technology.
Direct view CRT, at sizes especially above 27" NTSC, isn't all its cracked up to be. What about problems with geometry, absolute signal convergence, even color throughout (ie take a look at any solid screen on many of the 34" direct views out there (ever toshiba for example), you'll see lighter and darker areas), etc.

Plasmas win, I believe. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem. Bought an X1, everything went fine for about a week, then .... got my first dead pixel... I got it at BB and I'm still within the 30 days, but I'm debating wether to try to exchange it (assuming they have it in stock) or not. From what I've been reading quality control is not the greatest on this pj, and who knows what other problems the new one will have, then again it may just work great.

In my case, the dead pixel is about 4 rows up from the black bar when watching an anamorphic movie, and its stuck off, so I only really notice it on a white scene and only if I go looking for it.

I have a solution for it though (well, kinda..) Since most of my use for the X1 is DVDs, and I'm feeding a progressive signal, I use the "vertical shift" feature of the projector and simply shift the image 4 or 5 pixels up and voila.. dead pixel is now within the black bars. Its not a real solution for 4:3 use, which is why I'm still debating wether to try to exchange it or not. But depending on your viewing habits and where the dead pixel is you may try this approach.

Good luck

rushfan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that, for perfectionists like us, everything is defective ;)

bthorn9435: I feel your pain. I have exchanged my Epson S1 4 times in a month. I am considering going for a fifth - my current one is always out of focus in the lower left corner. It usually isn't noticeable when watching movies, but it bugs me anyway. For $1500 CDN, I expect better.

I think the only way I would be 100% happy, is if Epson let me go their factory, hand pick the components, and let me put the unit together myself!!!

Every time I call Epson with a complaint, they assure me that it IS a defect, and they apologize for me getting a defective unit. They then immediately offer a brand new replacement. They are perplexed at the bad luck I'm having. I think they just don't realize that their quality control is crap (IMHO), or that the projectors are cheap junk (relativeley speaking) and you will never find one without issues.

Ignorance truly is bliss. I envy those who don't see rainbows, dead pixels/mirrors, fixed panel noise, etc., etc. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have returned 2 to best buy. One with a dead pixel / bad row and another with a loose lens which caused the picture to move off the screen when I adjusted the focus. They didn't have anymore at the local store so I'm gonna drive 2 hrs to go get one this weekend and make sure it works before I leave the store. I probably should have kept the one with the loose lens but then I would have had to readjust the mount to get the picture back on the screen every time I changed the focus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.