AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just ordered a InFocus X1 and now waiting for it anxiously.

Hope that other X1 users can share with me your experience in selecting the right screen to get a good video experience.

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
stingray:

I just purchased my X1 as well as the Dell 2100mp. I must say the X1 looks great on my DIY Parkland Plastics screen.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Infocus X1 is projecting on a 96" DaLite White screen ($140 delivered) with excellent results. Widescreen fills the entire width and it looks great. I am very happy with the X1 ($1200 delivered).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting what you have.

I am tconsidering painting the wall (or some other board and then hang it up) white initially and then determine which screen would fit my requirement best. I would like a permanent screen instead of pull-down. But I will need to figure out if I need 4:3 or 16:9. I would assume 4:3 is something won't go away as my wife like to sing karaoke.

BTW, what is Parkland DIY that I see in a lot of posts. Can someone give me more info.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

I was experimenting with this options:

1. a Dalite pulldown (finished in matte white) - good image, but blacks

are more like a dark-gray.

2. a DIY screen using a drywall finished in light gray - more accurate

image, the blacks better than the Dalite's, all colors have a deeper,

more brilliant effect

3. and the winner:

my current setup: a DIY screen using a drywall finished in

Digital Gray paint from GooSystems.

The black are really black, the contrast and shadow details are amazing, the colors are more vivid. The so called "mosquito", "screen-door" & "rainbows" are all gone. It just looks...superb!

You can access the link bellow to my home page and see some screen-shoots.

Recommendation: for a better contrast and image quality, use screen masking. It really improves your visual experience.

www.geocities.com/riverarichard_rrr/My_page.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
drahcir,

i'm interested in a DIY screen and yours look great. can you list the materials you used to create your screen? i already know about the goosystem. more interested in the cloth material, etc or was it just a flat drywall?

thanks,

trent

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have tried various different screens with my X1 and I tell you what, my DIY 92 inch wide 16x9 screen with goo systems CRT white base and topcoats killz everything I've had so far. I mean it, you cannot seriously consider paying those outrageous prices for "real screens" after you see a DIY with sprayed on goo...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow Drahcir your website is hell for a po 56k user like me.. 8 )

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just received the InFocus X1 yesterday night. Projected on a beige/yellow wall but the image is still acceptable. Thinking about the right size and ratio for the new screen (may purchase or DIY).

For DIY materail, are there any other beside Goo and Parkland Plastic (not available in my neighbourhood). I lived in Vancouver BC. Please let me know if there are local supplies.

Any suggestion for permanent screen as well. I know Stewart is expensive. No good supplier of Da-lite in my area. The Draper product line is just too confusing. Seems to have more than 5 product for each classification.

Your advice and suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
378 Posts
At first I was projecting on a flat white wall. Then I got a Dalite High Contrast Matt White pull down screen and it is MUCH better. It added a touch of gain, and the image just looks better. It was worth the investment. I have a couple slight waves in the screen, common with this material on an untensioned screen. But watching the movie straight on you don't notice them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Drahcir

Thats a nice site mate, just a few things about your screen shots?

The colours look awsome, the picture looks really furry to me :confused: is it your camara making it look like that?

Apart from that it looks cool :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Currently a white (princton white to be exact) wall for me. Only a 5' wide image. I can't image getting a better image form this thing on a real screen but when my basement is finished I have a tab tensioned Da-lite matte white 80" wide just waiting in the wings.

Randy

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have finally seen Parklands Plastic in person at the "Canuck Shootout". I can now heartily recommend the Parklands Plastic + Goo combination. (use either side, it doesn't matter!) If spraying, go for the CRT White Basecoat, and the Digital Grey Lite Topcoat , if you want a humongous screen.

For slightly smaller screen sizes, the Digital Grey base and Digital Grey Lite Topcoat work fine. If rolling you should use the Digital Grey Basecoat, as this will prevent roller marks from coming through --- which is what happens when you use the CRT White Basecoat when rolling. It can be done with the CRT White Basecoat when rolling, but takes a special sort of painter, one with decent rolling experience. The Digital Grey Basecoat and two Topcoats (Lite and regular) are very forgiving when used together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.