AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well As exciting as looking at my 36" sharp is I've decided to buy a new set.

I started out looking at various HDTV sets around 40" up to 52"... Then I started thinking of going the projector route. Im on a budget here of $2000 so my question to those of you who have experience with PJ setup's (I do not). Can it be done? Im thinking of an Infocus X1 as I here great things about them for the price. Then there's the screen, which I have no idea as far as costs goes (installation nexecssary or can it be done yourself)

Anything else I will need? The ceiling in my basement isnt exaclty easy to work with so can I mount it lower and angle it up?

Or should I just go back to my original idea of a RP HDTV set?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
From what I have read the X1 can be had for $900 US or less. That leaves plenty of money for half decent screen and even some more for light control of your room.

While the X1 isn't a high res projector, I have compared it to numerous RP TV's well over its price and even with the X1 at 1.5 to 2 x the RPTV size it still is better. If you reduce its screen size to a RP TV then picture will be even better.

Here in Australia, your $2000 US would work out to around $4500 AUD and for that you'd be struggling to get any decent flat panel or RP TV with decent size.

I should have had my X1 delivered today but looks like tomorrow GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :(

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Hey. Check out this video of the X1 in action displaying a Spiderman fight scene at about 10 feet diagonal on a textured white wall and I think this will help you decide. Be aware, this footage appears very 3D, so be prepared. lol. Go here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/buyitch...man_Clip_1.avi

It's only 1.68mbs (some pictures are larger than this), but the quality is pretty good if you keep it at no larger than 100%. If it doesn't play than you'll need to download a free divx player at: www.divx.com or download a DIV3 or Mpeg 4 codec.

I have a Toshiba HD Ready TV and the X1 looks as good or better (in a lot of cases). Let me know what you think of the video (remember, it'll look even better with a screen). I also blacked out the walls to keep to much reflection off of the screen which helped A LOT (you won't see any of those improvements in the video though. Check it out! Later

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just went from a Panasonic 43" RPTV to the X1 and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. PQ is outstanding compared to my old RPTV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thansk for all the replies. Ill check out that video when im not on a bandwidth handcipped connection (ie later today)

I knew this would happen. Everyone recommends the hard route. lol. But if it's a better bet for the money then thats all that counts.

As far as the screen goes. Any idea what kind of price range Im looking at for a semi decent one? The more I can myself the more cash I can put into the setup itself so I don't plan on paying anyone to install it for me!

And to you folks with or recieving an X1. Can I have it sit inside, say my coffee cable and angle it up? Ceiling mount is out of the question without running cables directly across it in the open.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Keep in mind though, that unless you have a room with light control the PJ is pretty much useless during "light" hours. I kept my 57" 16:9 HDTV for daylight watching and the PJ is for after dark...

When will I have that ever elusive dedicated HT room.... :(

Just a thought.

Later,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Yea that waon't be a problem! It's a basement so there's only one window in that section. Which would just be blocked off with thick curtain's!

Cheers

·
Registered
577 Posts
A ceiling mount doesnt have to be a CEILING mount.

Let me explain, my first setup with my demo unit was simply placing my old entertainment center on a desk againt the back wall That took the top of the entertainment center almost to the ceiling, I then drilled three holes in one of the shelves, placed it in a position near the top of the entertainment center and let the x1 hang under the shelf. This let me use the rest of the entertainment center for my av gear in one neat short cable package.

When I got my x1, I did things diffrent as this instal was to be semi permanent. I simply got some shelf brackets from the local hardware store, and drilled my holes in a piece of plywood I had laying around, and mounted it all up on the back wall. (tried to take pictures but the batteries in my camera seem to be dead) My entertainment center now holds my av gear, but off in the back corner of the room out of the way. My longest av cable is 12' ( not counting speaker wire ).

My main seat is now directly beneath the x1 a full 16' from the screen, and I am glad I didnt waste time/money on a rptv.

Moral of the story is, your pj cant tell if it is suspended from the ceiling on an elborate mount, or hung upside down on a simple shelf on the wall. I also considered using plastic feet hot glued to the top of the x1, and just sitting it on top of the shelf, but I decided it would be better to have it bolted down (or up in my case) incase something ever snags a cable and attempts to jerk it down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That sheds a little light on the whole placement.

I guess so I can begin thinking of a mounting process I should find out how loud the X1 is ?

If its puts out enough dB's to annoy me in quite scenes I might have to find a way to conseal some of the noise.

Also I see the bulb is rated for 3000 hours (good or not Im not sure)

Anyone have an idea of replacement costs?

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Placement is a personal choice thing as well as whether the PJ is too loud or not. I have mine right over the sweet spot, 4 feet above my head to be exact, and it seems fine. As far as the bulb is concerned, it has been "upgraded" to a 4000 hour bulb now and the cost is around the $300 mark.

Later,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Can'ty be too noisy then I guess. 4000 hours at roughly 5-6 hours a day max is about 2 years out of one bulb. Thats not as bad as I thought.

The X1 is looking like the best bet more & more. Now on to the price hunting to find the best deal.

If someone could answer my question reguarding the screen (cost, recommendations,installation) etc then I should be good to go!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
471 Posts
For price hunting, mosey on over to the Hot Deals forum at Fatwallet and search for Infocus X1. Gateway has the best deal (SAVE10 coupon code) right now, as far as I've been able to determine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Doing my homework on screens before I go buying anything though. Want to find out the best size for the projector etc and the best material to use.

DIY is looking like my only way. Some of the screens I was looking at are $7-800.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've seen that thread at FatWallet before and almost everything "cnIsfg" said about the X1 and/or SP4800 is wrong. He is misinformed. I suggest you just ignore his posts.

I've thought about joining that forum just to correct him, but he obviously isn't very receptive to being corrected (many others have tried), so I haven't bothered.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just a point of reference:

LOTS of people here own this projector. It's reasonable to assume that if many were unhappy, they'd eBay them. Just looked and there is only ONE used X1 on eBay.

You will never buy anything if you are waiting to buy until you find a product with no negative comments.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Point well taken. Especially in my budget!

Main thing that I was worried about from that thread was the bulb life. The way they degrede rather than just conk out makes sense I just hadnt thought of it.

SO how long do you folks actually get untill the image starts looking a little dull?

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a new sony 57" in the bedroom with two large speakers on either side and it looks really good. I like it. The picture and sound quality watching antz (w/ the bedroom sound system) was amazing.

But I just got a new X1 for the den and I'm shooting the picture on the orange peel texture drywall, decatrend antique white - and wow, I don't know if I need a screen. But as good as the picture is, just shooting on the wall , I might just have to get a screen to see how good it can really be. But I gotta lot of set up work to do with the X1 and sound system in the den before I get into getting a screen. The X1's so much less expensive than the rptv that it almost makes bulb expense a non issue.

I like the rptv b/c it looks good in the bedroom even w/o being on, and watching it is fun, but if I did it over I'd probably get two x1's - they're lighter and easier to throw away when your done. If I had to move that Sony, jeepers.

·
Banned
539 Posts
One thing I love about projectors is the viewing angle is virtually unlimited with just about zero loss in brightness. You can sit on the very side and the picture will be the same brightness. As comparison, go to a showroom and look at RPTVs. If you are like me, you will be bending over to get a lower view so you can actually see how the picture looks. The viewing angle of all RPTVs is limited. Projectors don't have this limitation.

I have been shopping recently for a 36" HDTV to use when I don't want to use my projector. It is frustrating in that none of the TVs, even plasma compare to the X1. While the X1 is far from perfect, with good HDTV and DVD signal it beats any of the TVs I see in the showroom. All this for $999.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.