AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X1 that will be here tommorrow. I need some help picking out a screen/size. I would like it to be between 106" and 119" (diagonal) and 16:9. Our home theater is in a basement with complete light control and sitting at about 15 feet. Also, should it be white or grey. From the specs it looks like it will have very good contrast.

Appreciate any help...

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I will be getting a Infocus X1 unit in for a few days. I'll have some recommendations after that time.

Initially, without seeing the unit, the Specs suggest a white screen will do just fine, as the Contrast Ratio (CR)is high enough for using white alone. then, your particular set-up may allow for a da-lite high power screen, which will work well with PJ's with High CR's.

For alternative mounting positions,a regular white screen will work well, or depending on what it turns out like,a grey screen may apply. I will try both. If a grey screen is chosen, a smaller image size will be the result, as lumens will be lost on grey screen. With a white screen, and the PJ in the video mode, the lower lumen count will probably dictate that he screen not be large than about100 inches diagonal, to maintain any sort of realistic light out put. too little output ends up resulting in an image that is perceived to be too flat and undimensional. Going with too big a screen can be fun at first, but it does result in an inferior image. Only having the PJ in hand to experiment with, will actually tell.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will probably try 106" 16:9 white with 1.5 gain. The projector should be here today and I will see what that size looks like on a white wall first. Let me know how yours works out and if you think it can go any bigger...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I may be moving soon and I've got a slanted ceiling, so I was thinking about getting a portable screen. I haven't ordered my pj yet, but as soon as I settle on a screen I plan on getting the X1. My seating distance is about 12' and my room depth is about 18'. I was thinking about trying an 11' Draper Luma 2/R. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Initially, without seeing the unit, the Specs suggest a white screen will do just fine, as the Contrast Ratio (CR)is high enough for using white alone. then, your particular set-up may allow for a da-lite high power screen, which will work well with PJ's with High CR's.

The High Power has a gain of 2.8! I'd think that would be too high.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Based on KBK's posts, and my floor pj position, I'm gonna try the HiPower with my X!. I'll let you know how it looks.

mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.