AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a refurbished InFocus X10 1080p DLP projector for $599 at Circuit City. It is my first fling with front projectors. And I had read good reports on Infocus in the past. I prefer to tiptoe into this gingerly. So that is why it seems like a decent deal. Any thoughts on this model...brand...or appraoch? Good idea or terrible one? I'd appreciate any feedback. I currently use a 65" Hitachi F59 model RPCRT HDTV as my HT display. Time to move on. And I like what I've read about DLP front projection.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there who can tell me whether the InFocus X10 is a good deal or bad one?

My room size is 36' x28' with a 12' ceiling. I plan to buy a 92" or 100"+ 1.4 gain Black Diamond screen. Then perhaps upgrade to a better projector later if needed. I have a very elaborate dual 7.2 high-low Audio setup with very esoteric amplifiers, subs and speakers. All converging through a Harman Kardon AVR 745. Native AVR 745 amps power the Highs. And 3 Andromeda Sumo 2's power the lows...with a Marantz mono powering the the low center. Sounds unbelievable! I also have a monoprice 4 by 2 matrix switcher that I will route the projector through for 1080p. My full HD 1080p sources will be PS3 Blu-Ray, Toshiba A35 HD-DVD, XBox 360, and Verizon Fios. My upconverted to 1080i or SD sources will be routed through the AVR via component cabling, SVHS and composite. They will be Sony Laser Disc, Sony SVHS, Original XBox and HK 48 DVD player. The projector will sit on a shelf behind the primary listening chair about 4 feet above the floor and 14-16 feet from the screen.

I hope this provides more info on what I am trying to achieve. Basically I am ready to move on from RPCRT. And I will either go Front Projector or a very big screen Mitsu RPDLP.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The only problem I possibly see is the projector placement. The X10 has a fairly large fixed offset, so shelf mounting generally doesn't work very good. I would guess you'll need a ceiling mount unless you are going to put the screen very high on the wall. Use the projector calculator to see what will work,

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...ulator-pro.htm

I have an X10 and it's been great. Black levels are so-so compared to newer stuff, but it is very bright and has a good calibrated image. You wouldn't need a 1.4 gain screen unless you plan to use it with quite a bit of ambient light.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had the Infocus X10 for more than two years and except for premature bulb failure my experience has been good with Infocus. As the prior reply indicated, black levels might be an issue but I use a 110" grey screen with a 1.1 gain to enhance black levels.

Because of your high ceilings offset is not such a big issue if you ceiling mount. There are ceiling amounts that utilize extenders so you could lower the screen to where it is comfortable to view. I don't know about your equipment placement but try to avoid a very long HDMI run as the signal weakens.

Good luck and I think you are getting a bargain.

John

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 years as well. Its shoots an excellent 2D picture that is razor sharp and very punchy. I paid $1100 new two years ago. Placement options are not that great as others have mentioned so make sure it works in your room before you buy. Not mentioned is the noise level. This thing is LOUD so be aware (high lamp mode). Low lamp mode is loud too but tolerable. For reference my Acer h5360 is whisper quiet in low lamp mode and normal mode it's still much quieter then the X10 in low lamp mode. However my acer can't even hold a candle to the 2D PQ thrown by the X10. Its miles ahead.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. It was very helpful. I am inclined to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one Monday. But with this caveat. I now plan to keep my 65" Hitachi RPCRT HDTV since it sits recessed, flush with the front wall shelves in its dedicated cove. I will mount a 120" projector screen so it lowers right in front of the RPCRT. I will then use the projector for all Optical Disk Movie full 1080p HDTV viewing, Big sport events...like Football games and PS3 & XBox 360 games. I will run all component cables to the Hitachi and use it primarily for FIOS 1080i HDTV viewing of all types including TV edited movies. It will be my main Horse for bulk TV viewing. I still love the silky blacks and film grade image structure of CRT. Plus this setup will allow me to maximize the life of the DLP Lamp. So I will preserve the Hitachi until it dies. Then discard it. But I will cease using the CRT for video gaming and Disk based movie viewing. Can't wait to give the InFocus a spin. Even though I'm a little concerned about the noise issue. But it is so cheap...I can always upgrade later. Again...thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts