AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Good to hear they took care of you. Worst case, if the new one is bad you just do the exchange again. I hope you don't approach my record however!

·
Registered
21 Posts
For awhile my infocus X10 would get an effect where the color gradients would come out in bands (I think they call it posterization). Just recently it started flickering on the left hand side of the screen, and I fixed it, so I thought I would share what I did...

At first I tried just opening it up (as other have described above), and cleaning the black duct and metal screens with compressed air, vacuum, and/or alcohol wipes. I also added a fan to pull air away from the color wheel. When I got it all put back together, and on the ceiling. The problems had gotten much worse. Now it only took about 5 minutes for poterization to start. A few minutes after that the screen would start flickering, but now instead of just the left side, it was the whole screen. Also, a new problem occurred, the projector started switching colors. In other words, it would be all red for less than a second, and then all blue, and then all green. It was very psychedelic. When I got close to the projector, I could hear a ticking sound. My guess is this was probably the color wheel sticking, which was causing the crazy color effect.

I figured I had probably destroyed something in the projector beyond repair, but I thought I would give it one more attempt. This time I opened the projector back up, and I also took off the metal plate (which I hadn't done on the first attempt). I sprayed compressed air everywhere I could. I also made sure to spray around the color wheel, and the small fan near the color wheel. When spraying any fans I could see, I made sure to hold their blades, so they wouldn't spin.

I then put the projector back together, and turned it on. When turning it on, I realized something...:The fan on my X10 doesn't suck air in through metal vents on the side and push air out through the vents on the bottom. Instead, it pulls air in through the bottom vents and pushes air out through the side vent. I think this makes sense, as the lamp probably heats the air the most, and it is the last thing the air travels over. Thus, when I put a fan above the color wheel that sucks air out, this fan could pull air from the hot lamp to the color wheel, and actually make the problem at the color wheel worse.

Here is a pic to show the airflow:

Thus, I turned off the projector before it heat back up. I added the external computer fan back to the air holes below the color wheel, but this time I had the air push into the color wheel instead of push out. I also added some foam weather stripping around the fan to keep the air going into the vents below the color wheel (or above if you are on the ceiling). I had to use something as a spacer, because my ceiling mount was partially in the way, and I couldn't put the fan directly on the vents. Here is a picture of it mounted on the ceiling:

This fixed it. I put the projector back on the ceiling, and have had it running for 2 hours with no posterization or flickering. It seems either the reversal of the external fan I added, or the cleaning around the color wheel made the biggest difference. (I didn't test without the fan.)

This brings me to a question. Why are the metal filters on the side there? I thought originally they were to keep dust out, but as the air flow comes out of these screens, instead of going into them, they act instead as dust traps. They actually just keep dust in. (Maybe they dampen fan noise?) I'm thinking next time I need to get in there to clean, I'll just remove these screens entirely. Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had the x10 almost 4 years and other than a premature bulb failure (I replaced it with an OEM bulb and casing) my projector has been fine except for a burned out hdmi port. To heighten the black levels I use a Da-lite HCCV silver/gray screen (110" diag). I had a power surge in my house and the HDMI port was damaged so I started using the DVI port with a converter that came with the projector which makes it a second HDMI port. I had a discussion with a technician who told me that the port boards are very sensitive to heat. I only paid $1200 for the X10 new so it's been a bargain.

As my projector is approaching 4 years should I get a new bulb or a replacement projector?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lampshuts off

Gents,
I have the Infocus 80eu which is the X10 made for the European market. My projector works perfectly for 2 hours or so and then the lamp just shuts off! Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Gents,
I have the Infocus 80eu which is the X10 made for the European market. My projector works perfectly for 2 hours or so and then the lamp just shuts off! Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated....
How is the heat? Is it getting warm? There is an Overtemp status light.

There is also a lamp indicator. How old is the bulb? Does the lamp status indicator com on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How is the heat? Is it getting warm? There is an Overtemp status light.

There is also a lamp indicator. How old is the bulb? Does the lamp status indicator com on?
Hi dengland. The air exiting the unit is quite hot. Not sure of bulb age as bought 2nd hand. 1560hrs showing used in bulb menu? I haven't noticed any indicator lights though looking at it I suppose they are in the little window on top??? Will check thi next time the unit goes down. Thanks for your response, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi dengland. The air exiting the unit is quite hot. Not sure of bulb age as bought 2nd hand. 1560hrs showing used in bulb menu? I haven't noticed any indicator lights though looking at it I suppose they are in the little window on top??? Will check thi next time the unit goes down. Thanks for your response, greatly appreciated.
Oh and by the way I've cleaned the lamp housing grills etc to remove any dust. They weren't that dirty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You mean that it is locked?
I have installed Dark chip 3 in my projector and i would also like to upgrade to in82 firmware but in case this doesnt work i dont have in80 firmware.
Is there any way i could extract it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
What are the best deals on bulbs these days? I see $50 ones on Amazon and $160 OEM bulbs. I am moving in a month and may leave the projector so it doesn't have to be the best. I was thinking the cheap one and if it sucks, I'll keep it for an emergency spare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Issue with Infocus X10

I'm hoping someone here can provide an insight into an issue i'm having with my 1.5 year old x10 projector. I'm quite a novice when it comes to this so please let me know if there is anything i can try as i'm currently assuming the projector is broken and that is that!

Basically whenever i switch on my projector on it just projects a grey screen (no red infocus as i would typically expect when the projector is warming up). There is then nothing, as far as i've found, where i can alter this; the remote fails to have any effect, i can't bring up the setting menu or any sources that i connect to the project do not come up at all.

I'm assuming my projector has had it so i'm expecting the worst, please let me know if this is something any of you have come across before.

Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Infocus X10 Service Menu Code

Anyone know the Service Menu code? My projector had a hard crash and lost its mind (even lost it SN until I power cycled). Everything defaulted to default values.

Picture looks like crap. if I lower the red gain, I can make it better, but that is not the answer.

I think the color wheel index is wrong. I cannot get into the service menu without the correct set of remote key presses.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
CWI index was indeed the problem. I found it to be 56. I adjusted it to 90 to get a good picture back.
Ah I see you did get this fixed now that I dug up this thread. Thanks again for your help. This also fixed the posterization (red blotchy) problem on mine. All I had to do was change it from 91 to 86 in my case.

BTW, a more general question to anyone. Is there a decent replacement lamp that's significantly less than $400 for the X10. I just don't see spending that much when I can probably buy a decent 1080p DLP now for not that much more. I dug these up,

http://www.myprojectorlamps.ca/projector-lamps/Infocus/X10.html

http://www.jaspertronics.com/products/pli01678

https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/infocus-x10-lcd-projector-lamp-cage-assembly-with-high-quality-original-bulb

Of course there's the crap $50 ones, but I do want something that will work for quite a few hours and not blow up in the projector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CWI index was indeed the problem. I found it to be 56. I adjusted it to 90 to get a good picture back.
Hi my infocus x10 is having the blotchy red issue since some time. I see that adjusting the cwi may help. Could you please tell how to get the service menu. I am unable to PM since I am new to the site, please pm me if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is unreal. My posts earlier in this thread bemoaned the blotchy problem. Infocus service in the UK wanted to charge 100s of pounds to fix the problem - what a bunch of crooks

Turns out all you needed to enter the servuce menu and play with the color wheel index value and the blotchyness goes away.

[Can someone explain what is going on here?]

Found elsewhere:

On every color wheel system (FP and RPTV), there is mark of some sort on or in the wheel. This is the color wheel index (CWI) mark. Elsewhere, there is a sensor that "sees" this mark once per revolution and passes a signal to the light engine. There is software in the light engine that keeps the wheel spinning at some multiplication factor of the displayed video by tweeking the color wheel motor controller. The idea is to keep the CWI mark signal at a specific time relationship to the vertical sync signal. Many of these CWI marks are applied to the color wheel by hand during color wheel manufacturing. As such, two specific CWI marks on two specific wheels may not be in the same location with respect to the color segments of the wheels.

The CWI adjustment allows the people in the factory to do fine adjustments to set the timing of the color segments of the wheel with the timing of the display video. That is, it allows them to adjust for someone putting the CWI mark in a slightly different location.

For others - the service code sequence is

1. "resize"
2. "custom"
3. "source"
4. "presets"
5. Down arrowButton
6. Up Arrow button

Explaning

981 - 1000 of 1004 Posts