AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm one of the happy owners of the Infocus Screen Play 4805 since 2006 and am planning to upgrade to the Infocus X9 or Optoma HD65.

Which do you think is the best one in terms of picture quality/sharpness/true colors?

Thanks in advance,

Claudio.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was choosing between the same two, and ended up going with the x9.

The X9 is brighter than the HD65, and I'm in a room that has windows on two sides, and will be using the projector for afternoon football in the fall. Many claim the HD65 has better blacks, though. The Infocus has a 2 year warranty, the Optoma is 1 year. And, the bulbs supposedly last longer on the InFocus.

The HD65 has a 4X color wheel. X9 has 2X. So, in theory, the HD65 is less likely to have the rainbow effect. I tend to think that if you are in the minority that sees rainbows, you will probably see them with either of these projectors, though.

FWIW - My neighbor has the HD71, and I can't tell any difference between his and mine in terms of preformance. Our rooms/setups are quite different, though, so it's a difficult comparison.

Vedict?

It's a tossup. I selected the Infocus because it was cheaper. :)

This is helpful, if you haven't seen it already:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/info...ompetitors.php

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The HD65 will have better contrast. The X9 will have more brightness. So choose between those depending on your needs. HD65 would be my choice.

I would seriously consider a Refub Benq 8720 on closeout. This is a top of the line projector and far superior to the other choices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_in_a_barn /forum/post/16914218

I was choosing between the same two, and ended up going with the x9.

The X9 is brighter than the HD65, and I'm in a room that has windows on two sides, and will be using the projector for afternoon football in the fall. Many claim the HD65 has better blacks, though. The Infocus has a 2 year warranty, the Optoma is 1 year. And, the bulbs supposedly last longer on the InFocus.

The HD65 has a 4X color wheel. X9 has 2X. So, in theory, the HD65 is less likely to have the rainbow effect. I tend to think that if you are in the minority that sees rainbows, you will probably see them with either of these projectors, though.

FWIW - My neighbor has the HD71, and I can't tell any difference between his and mine in terms of preformance. Our rooms/setups are quite different, though, so it's a difficult comparison.

Vedict?

It's a tossup. I selected the Infocus because it was cheaper. :)

This is helpful, if you haven't seen it already:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/info...ompetitors.php

Fortunately, I'm one of those who "-despite all efforts-" cannot see the dreaded rainbow effect. And I must add that I have perfect 20/20 vision (thanks God).

No, I've never seen that link before.

Thank you very much for the info born_in_a_barn. It's much appreciated.

Regards,

Claudio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/16914656

The HD65 will have better contrast. The X9 will have more brightness. So choose between those depending on your needs. HD65 would be my choice.

I would seriously consider a Refub Benq 8720 on closeout. This is a top of the line projector and far superior to the other choices.

Thanks a lot for your input gwlaw99.

Later,

Claudio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts