AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let member know that I came back from Best Buy in Fairlakes Virginia (DC Metro) and in the Magnolia room they had an Infocus 7205 hung and were getting ready to hang a Infocus 7210. They were using a Stewart Firehawk screen. The sales people seemed to be knowledgeable and the prices were good. Price for a typical install - projector, screen, 7.1 speaker hung and everything conected and tested $1000.00. I was impressed.

arlie

And no I do not work for Best Buy. The only reason I was there was to pick up a DVD player with HDMI to test with a Infocus 7210 that I purchased from another AVS forum member.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,609 Posts
I also went to a recently opened Magnolia store for the first time (Dulles town center ... that is two stores over from Fairlakes). The 40 year old guy in the 3 piece suit who approached me was pretty green. Didn't know whether they offered projector calibration services (they don't). He had to ask a 20 year old in a polo shirt

They also had a 7205 up and running on a firehawk. It was the only FP running and hey guys you need to pay attention to details. The image was set too small for the screen and left a 1/2 inch grey bar around the edges. If I was working in that store and that was the only running projector I'd be keeping it dialed in properly.

Overall I'd rate my experience as much less than average compared to the other local vendors offering FP.

Still looking for an ISF calibrator in DC, Recommendations?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
I also went to a recently opened Magnolia store for the first time (Dulles town center ... that is two stores over from Fairlakes). The 40 year old guy in the 3 piece suit who approached me was pretty green. Didn't know whether they offered projector calibration services (they don't). He had to ask a 20 year old in a polo shirt

They also had a 7205 up and running on a firehawk. It was the only FP running and hey guys you need to pay attention to details. The image was set too small for the screen and left a 1/2 inch grey bar around the edges. If I was working in that store and that was the only running projector I'd be keeping it dialed in properly.

Overall I'd rate my experience as much less than average compared to the other local vendors offering FP.

Still looking for an ISF calibrator in DC, Recommendations?
That's what we usually hear. :)

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"The image was set too small for the screen and left a 1/2 inch grey bar around the edges."

You're complaining about a lousy 1/2"? How was the picture?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,609 Posts
My initial reaction was not as good as my Optoma 79 on the same firehawk screen. Which made me feel good because I spent a lot more for sure. It most be a torch light though because the room was very bright. I also wasn't sure if it was focussed correctly because it looked a little soft. They had on one of the Pixar films which should have looked sharper.

And yes, I complain about 1/2 an inch, it was very distracting. After all the hoopla about these "Pros" coming to town it should be perfect. The store within a store was empty when I walked in at about 1pm, 3 guys were standing at the desk chewing the fat. If that was my business I would have expected any one of them to spot the problem and fix it . Also once I pointed it out, the guy made no effort to say "you're right let's see if we can fix it" and then do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.