AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy one of the two mentioned projectors(VT440 or LP 340) for home theatre use. The projector stays 14 feet away from the screen and I have to use a cable of the same length (SVideo or component).

Which projector should I choose?

I have no other option than the two mentioned while the VT440 is slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The lp340 is a hassle for the reasons mentioned. I looked at both the lp340 and vt540 and went with the vt540. The pixel structure is not a problem AT ALL if you use a htpc. I look at these two units very simply: if you have a htpc go with the vt540 if not go with the lp340. You will have to mask the heck out of everything to get the halo to go away but the bottom line is that the lp340's scaler is amazing. Straight s-video into both an lp340 and a vt540 is no contest in my mind. The lp340 would win and that is what I would choose even with the halo problem, horrible rainbow effect, and poor colors.

Just my 2 cents.

JP

·
Registered
342 Posts
I received a Boxlight455(Infocus LP340) last week and have mixed feelings about it. I am projecting on a 8X4' white panel about 16' away. Some movies such as "Saving Private Ryan" look almost perfect while other films that are very dark (Aliens) look poor compared to CRT projectors. The NEC 540 at work has better color than the 455, but the visable pixels bothered me. On the other side some folks seem more bothered by color wheel rainbows (I see them from time to time, but see the LCD pixels constantly).

You must see them to know which you like better. I would say if color is most important, choose the NEC440 and if a film like image with less than perfect color is OK, then the 340/455.

[This message has been edited by jmrobbins (edited 06-07-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.