AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at monitoring heat issues in a variety of places (computer, family room cabinet with fans, Middle Atlantic rack, etc...) and stumbled upon infrared (IR) thermometers at Amazon.

What IR thermometers are people using?

Here are a few links to some I saw:

-
Raytek MT6 MiniTemp Infrared Thermometer

-
Fluke 62 Mini Infrared Thermometer

-
Mastercool MSC52224A Infrared Thermometer

Costs

- Raytek MT6 - $48

- Fluke 62 - $90

- Mastercool MSC52224A - $41

One
reviewer thought that the Fluke was the same as Raytek MT6.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt /forum/post/16983748

Are you asking WRT home theaters, or something else? I don't know of anyone using these for a home theater.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne -

Hi.

I don't know what "WRT" is, but I'm looking at being able to quickly check the temperature of components in various shelf areas in an enclosed cabinet in various areas of my house.

Mike

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It's a "TLA"

"WRT" = With Respect To

Harbor Freight has a budget Infrared Thermometer.

"TLA" = Three Letter Acronym

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/16984319

It's a "TLA"

"WRT" = With Respect To

Harbor Freight has a budget Infrared Thermometer.

"TLA" = Three Letter Acronym

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ahhh, spot radiometers. I use a similar Raytek model at work all the time. A few things to remember for accurate temperature readings.

1. Measure as close to the object as you can (recommended is within 12" or less".

2. Reflective metals (stainless steel, polished aluminum) will throw off the readings.

Can't believe how prices have really dropped in the last several years.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherAaron /forum/post/16987130

Ahhh, spot radiometers. I use a similar Raytek model at work all the time. A few things to remember for accurate temperature readings.

1. Measure as close to the object as you can (recommended is within 12" or less".

2. Reflective metals (stainless steel, polished aluminum) will throw off the readings.

Can't believe how prices have really dropped in the last several years.

Thanks.

Some of them have diagrams and measure of measuring spot "spread" with distance.

It seems like the better meters have a tighter "sensor" area at the same distance.

I was originally looking for a temperature probe for my Middle Atlantic rack but found these IR thermometers.

In the reviews on Amazon people were using them for all sorts of things -- cooking, component heat loss pre/post fans in cabinets, home heat loss, etc.

Looks like a fun toy to play with.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered this one.

Even cheaper now on
Amazon .

Raytek MT6 MiniTemp Infrared Thermometer

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
It's a fun toy and useful to match. My Raytek model only goes up to like 500F, to work on car engines, a higher temp (700F) would be more useful.

I use it for electronics but my wife borrows it to get that perfect water temp for her bath.

In Startrek Enterprise, u often see "Trip" holding a Raytek, but of course they call it molecular sublimator or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts