AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the movie opens today. If you haven't heard what Penteo does, here's your chance to hear it in a theater; we did about 80% of the music. Most of the soundtrack is from 1960's recordings that we upmastered to 5.1 for the film, some of which came of the vinyl from Quentin's own record collection. Yes, vinyl through Penteo works.

Interestingly, you can buy the movie soundtrack on CD for $13.95, or for $23, you can get it on ...vinyl.

-John

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was cool dude! How can I acquire the movie soundtrack?

I can't wait to hear it and watch the movie.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround /forum/post/17038491

So the movie opens today. If you haven't heard what Penteo does, here's your chance to hear it in a theater; we did about 80% of the music. Most of the soundtrack is from 1960's recordings that we upmastered to 5.1 for the film, some of which came of the vinyl from Quentin's own record collection. Yes, vinyl through Penteo works.

Interestingly, you can buy the movie soundtrack on CD for $13.95, or for $23, you can get it on ...vinyl.

-John

Why would we want to discuss a two channel re-productions of a multi-chanel encode in the multi chanel music forum?

Where's the SACD/DVD-A release? Where's the BD-Audio release wowing us multi channel listeners?

Interestingly enough a two channel movie soundtrack of what could be a great 5.1 SACD or DVD-A is really a bummer.

Sounds like Penteo needs to promote its multi-channel work on a mult-channel audio release format connection with Sony, Telarc even or another label that actually cares to promote surround music.

I really liked the audio on the Watchmen BD. Pity I can't find it on SACD/DVD-A.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17045836

Why would we want to discuss a two channel re-productions of a multi-chanel encode in the multi chanel music forum?

Where's the SACD/DVD-A release? Where's the BD-Audio release wowing us multi channel listeners?

Interestingly enough a two channel movie soundtrack of what could be a great 5.1 SACD or DVD-A is really a bummer.

Sounds like Penteo needs to promote its multi-channel work on a mult-channel audio release format connection with Sony, Telarc even or another label that actually cares to promote surround music.

I really liked the audio on the Watchmen BD. Pity I can't find it on SACD/DVD-A.

Well, John was discussing the 5.1 format available in the theatrical release, and mentioned the irony of the soundtrack being available only in 2-ch media, and even more ironic that a vinyl version is available when some of the soundtrack material originated from Tarantino's own vinyl collection.

There is so little new media to discuss (compared to BD movies, for example) that I don't think talking about the theatrical soundtrack is off topic, if that is what you were implying.

And yes, some of us would be interested in seeing a 5.1 home format release. I suspect licensing for that niche format is not a part of the studio's vision. But it will be on the eventual BD/DVD release, I would guess.

John: do your licensing agreements for these movies ever go anywhere near the arena of release onto DVD-A or SACD? Or is that still in the "tilting at windmills" stage?

shinksma

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
at this point I'd settle for a dualdisc with 5.1 DD (yes I know they're deader than DVD-A)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma /forum/post/17046917

John: do your licensing agreements for these movies ever go anywhere near the arena of release onto DVD-A or SACD? Or is that still in the "tilting at windmills" stage?

shinksma

It's totally up to the film owners as to what happens. I'm sure the DVD and BluRay will have the Penteo Surround tracks; With BluRay's capacity, it would be great if the Penteo Surround versions of the tracks themselves would be released as musical selections on there too.

I saw it for the first time tonight in a theater with an audience; I was awed by Mike Minkler's mix, and how he used our work.

But (and yes, this is off-topic) Tarantino is absolutely brilliant in his use of previously recorded pieces in the patchwork of his soundtrack. Who would think of using the percussion ending of Jimi Hendrix's "What'd I Say", totaly without the song itself, as a suspense building action rhythm?

-John

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround /forum/post/17047329

It's totally up to the film owners as to what happens. I'm sure the DVD and BluRay will have the Penteo Surround tracks; With BluRay's capacity, it would be great if the Penteo Surround versions of the tracks themselves would be released as musical selections on there too.

I saw it for the first time tonight in a theater with an audience; I was awed by Mike Minkler's mix, and how he used our work.

But (and yes, this is off-topic) Tarantino is absolutely brilliant in his use of previously recorded pieces in the patchwork of his soundtrack. Who would think of using the percussion ending of Jimi Hendrix's "What'd I Say", totaly without the song itself, as a suspense building action rhythm?

-John

So tacitly what John seems to be saying is NO. Forget anything but 2 channel CD/Vinyl and the DVD/BD releases.

John is keeping his mouth shut for obvious reasons known to those in the legal community as it is NOT his material to use or over which to speculate.

I missed the irony earlier - forgive me. It's crystal clear after the above comments.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/17047939

So tacitly what John seems to be saying is NO. Forget anything but 2 channel CD/Vinyl and the DVD/BD releases.

John is keeping his mouth shut for obvious reasons known to those in the legal community as it is NOT his material to use or over which to speculate.

I missed the irony earlier - forgive me. It's crystal clear after the above comments.

Nothing that intense. It's basically just whatever would turn a profit. Unfortunately, the record industry has pretty much adopted Blu Ray and DVD as their only media for future distribution of surround music in these incredibly challenging economic times. Hey, we're available for any format that wants us!!!

I do wish that DVD-V would have allowed 640 kb AC-3. It would have been a great format.

-John

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround /forum/post/17048921

snip......

I do wish that DVD-V would have allowed 640 kb AC-3. It would have been a great format.

-John

Hmmm. I haven't done a music DVD in a bit, don't remember offhand, but I think

the normal AC3 bitrates are allowed.

.....what is wrong with DTS?

I've made a few music DVD's with AC3 and DTS 5.1 (to be compliant).

AFAIK, right off the top of my head, is that it must be 48KHz, but otherwise?

DVDA, which I normally work with, allows different freq's and bit rates.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Pink Floyd's Pulse live DVD had a 640kb DD track. Some players don't know how to deal with it though

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocks /forum/post/17049853

Hmmm. I haven't done a music DVD in a bit, don't remember offhand, but I think

the normal AC3 bitrates are allowed.

.....what is wrong with DTS?

I've made a few music DVD's with AC3 and DTS 5.1 (to be compliant).

AFAIK, right off the top of my head, is that it must be 48KHz, but otherwise?

DVDA, which I normally work with, allows different freq's and bit rates.

The thing is, there are still DVD players that don't understand DTS CDs.

All DVD players play AC3; they have to. But the spec top is 448kb.

That doesn't mean the chip in the DVD player wouldn't blindly decode 640kb (I actually suspect most would), but it doesn't have to.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround /forum/post/17066480

Article in this morning's Mix Magazine blog...
http://blog.mixonline.com/briefingro...nteo-surround/

You know if I could get the soundtracks for all the Terantino films on SACD I would buy them in a heartbeat. That would simply be - awesome. Say like a royale with cheese...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/17078524

That could be very interesting. I would enjoy hearing what your process could do for my CD collection as I enjoy listening in multichannel mode via the built-in PLIIx.

That's what we've been doing in mix rooms all over LA this week. Playing CDs in 5.1. If you haven't seen the pics, they're here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
161 Posts
John: forgive my ignorance, but are most movie soundtracks usually mixed (and somehow experiened by consumers) in surround anyway? (I know it sounds really dumb but since only a handful of OSTs are out in surround I'm not even sure).

IF so, aren't soundtracks commonly mixed in REAL surround anyway? Or maybe they are just "surround stereo" and Penteo is at least an improvement on it (which it is)?...But if it's only usually experienced during the movie itself, does it even matter much (when there are so many sounds happening on top of the music)? Again forgive my ignorance of how music works in movies...

But really. I know you're creating a good business for yourself (and good for you...and well done...from a business perspective), but any seasoned surroundophile should only really be excited about REAL original surround mixing (and GOOD mixing at that - whether you have a more aggressive taste or a more ambient one).

It's the original *mic placements* or *multitracks* that should make up a good surround mix, NOT mere panorama slices from a stereo field. Penteo is only second best to REAL surround mixing. *Penteo is glorified stereo* (and nothing more)! It is *important* for people to realise this and to not be led to think it is some magic discrete 5.1 extraction process!

But guess what. It's being marketed as such a thing (and all this gitzy press paints the same picture), and I believed it for a while!

It doesn't matter how good penteo might be, it is NOT good enough. The FRIGHTENING THING is that the industry thinks it is good enough! (at least hollywood, from what I can see so far). I wonder what Elliot Scheiner thinks of penteo?

Fellow multichannel music lovers on avsforum: do we want penteo, a middleground and second best solution to surround sound, to sweep the music industry and potentially (or maybe I'm too worried) eliminate ANY chances of REAL surround releases to come out in the future (even if those chances were slim)? Why settle for a something which is not even a surround mixing aestethic? It is an "expanded stereo" aesthetic - technically, it is merely a stereo field stretched out in a horseshoe shape across the 5(.1) chanels!

Look - sure, I would love to have penteo in my receiver and have the option of experiencing glorified stereo. It would sure beat all other surround modes I currently have. But penteo'ed records? To a true surroundophile, that would be not much better than the "fake surround" discs by Silverline. But furthermore, penteo is dangerous for the future of multichannel music, and all I can hope is that key music industry players (who care about surround music and have some influence) will always remember that nothing can replace *real* surround mixing for music.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts