Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have severe ingress problems, with local channel 20 walking all over cable channel 72, as well as some other cable channels in the over Chan 70 band getting bad RFI (herring bone and some windshield wiper effects). Also, local channel 12 is Chan 12 on the cable (in this area chans below 90 are analog, even if you have digital cable service).

Here's the rundown:

If I hook a cable directly from the cable feed coming to the house to a TV, the is NO ingress. It is only after going through a splitter (I forget the brand now, but it is a brand used by professional installers - I am a video engineer with a company that sells broadcast video gear and have a bud that runs a consumer electronics repair shop, so we have access to the "good stuff" not junk). My friend that runs the repair shop suggested using double shielded coax (actually called QUAD SHIELD), which I did - and that minimized the problem to an extent it is usable. The problem is the outlet for the TV in the living room is wired with plain old RG-59, and that TV still has bad ingress. I can't rewire the outlet because the wall it is in was added after the house was built and there is a 2x10 header above the top plate in the wall. So, I can't fish the wire down the wall, and we don't want visible wires.

So (finally) I come to my question: Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the ingress on this one TV without rewiring it? I have tried using a line amp on the main feed to boost the level (to hopefully improve the signal/noise ratio) but that always results in some channels being overloaded (evidently because the cable is not balanced coming into the house, I guess - the cable company sez their feed is OK though). I have tightened all F connectors with a wrench already.

I would like to upgrade to digital cable, but am afraid this ingress problem will be even worse on the upper band signals.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanx.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Best bet is to replace the RG-59 run.

Next best is to try several ferrites (from RS) on the RG-59, placed close to the splitter and at the TV set. Also, try a different set in it's place, to be sure the particular TV is not part of the problem...some allow more ingress than others. If so, you might have to add a ferrite or two right at the tuner........or even filter the power line on the set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.