AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone getting INHD yet in the Bay Area? I talked to a CSR last night and she said it will rollout by the end of this week 9/19.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Let us know if the "reset" works. I got the channels as of 7pm yesterday, but only after the CSR forced me to switch from a "grandfathered" AT&T digital package to a "Comcast" digital package. Alright, didn't "force" me, but absolutely no way to get InHD/InHD2 without doing it. Either pay the same but lose about 20 SD digital channels, or pay more for the same thing (plus InHD & InHD2).

In effect, they are charging for InHD and InHD2 by requiring one to forfeit the AT&T pricing which Comcast is required to honor (until January 1, 2004, I believe, when it could raise rates).

Anybody else in the same situation? You have a digital plan dating back to before the switchover from AT&T (subscription before December 2002) and can't get InHD or InHD2-- regardless of how expensive your grandfathered digital subscription is?

Comcast is doing the same thing in Chicago.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Doesn't seem to have worked. It's been about 45 minutes ... all of the programming info has returned to the onscreen guide ... still Not Authorized. I'm about to call them back, which is what they said to do.

I only got digital cable when they did that thing where your ISP charges were lower with cable teevee (before that, I just used a splitter to get the 70+ channels available that way). So I don't think I'm a grandfathered customer.

BTW, Sonoma, I always appreciate your messages here ... v. useful!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just got off the phone. Was told that they are having some problems getting stuff cranked up in Berkeley. Said their final it-better-be-done date is the 30th, but that they are shooting for the 18th.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sure hope they aren't going to require me to change my subscription. I don't want digital cable from Comcast. I get better SD channels from satellite, and cheaper too. I've been real happy with getting basic and HDTV for about $3 more a month than what I was paying for internet access alone.

If they end up charging I will just have to pass on the InHD channels then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did anyone get any official announcement that InHD channels were only available with the digital packages? Or are we only going by what CSRs tell us, because they aren't very reliable from one to the next.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure what package I fall into (grandfathered or not), but I've had the Gold digital package since 2001 or so. When I had the CSR reset my box, she didn't say anything about having to upgrade the service, though she didn't know anything about InHD/InHD2 either. As of now, I'm still without those channels.

·
Registered
406 Posts
anyone getting anything in berkeley yet? did the box re-authorization, still no inhd. i dont have any issues with the grandfathering, and i have one of the higher service levels (2 premiums)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Summit, I am in Berkeley, and I got INHD/2 yesterday. Don't know if this will help you, but here's how it worked for me:

1) I got a CSR that knew what they were talking about ... he had himself had some problems getting INHD at his house in San Ramon.

2) He talked to his supervisor, who ...

3) Talked to someone "higher up" ... they did something to the diagnostic menu at some deeper level ... I don't know what any of this means, I'm just telling you what they told me. When they were done, I had INHD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Gold package ($70+) plus HDTV ($5) and whatever else they want to screw me with. I still don't have InHD in Fremont.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, according to the buzz in the other thread, AT&T package hold overs are not going to get InHD channels. You need to switch to a Comcast package. (I'm assuming you have AT&T package by mentioning "Gold".)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just wish I could get a definite answer on that. I've called several times, explaining that the fact that I have an old AT&T package could be the reason I'm not getting the InHD channels, however every CSR I've talked to has said it shouldn't matter and that they can't promise being able to switch back to my AT&T package if I decided to change it to a Comcast package. I'd be losing a set of premium channels if I switch, which is why I'm hesitant to do so. I think it's ridiculous if I do have to switch, considering I'm paying an extra $5 for HD channels. Will this mean I won't be getting any new HD channels in the future? It's all crap and I'm pretty displeased.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
mposadas,

As its been said before, consider that you are paying $5/mth for the rental of an HDTV capable box, not for any HDTV channels (which isnt a bad deal considering you have to sink $400+ to buy an HDTV box from the Sat folks).

At least a dozen folks have reported they had to change from ATT package to Comcast package to get InHD. Trust them or trust the CSR's you've talked with, your choice.

Feel free to keep your ATT package with the exact same channels at the exact same price. Comcast is letting you do that to keep you happy (sorry your displeased about that), but don't expect them to keep adding channels to that package, it's not their package and they would prefer to consolidate.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i finally got through to someone who was able to set up the channels for me, but said that it would cost another $5 a month for those two channels. they said something about regional 'sales' which accounted for differences between cities.

i already have a package with 2 premium channels (not from att) and all the other crap, and pay $5 a month for the hd box. has anyone else been told these two channels are another fee?

k

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't heard that one before, most stories are the need to switch digital packages. Do you have a digital package, or are you getting these channels a-la-cart?

I wouldn't mind just paying $5 more a month to get the InHD channels, sounds better than going from $17.25 to $29.95 or more and paying for channels I will never watch.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
summit3907,

That's a new one...I havent seen anything like that on any of the comcast threads. I suspect its just a confused CSR. Take them up on it if you havent already and let us know if an extra $5 charge ends up on your bill (and what the description is). I doubt it will. I think the "regional 'sales'" is just a description of how the cost for the same package can vary slightly between cities depending on the individual franchise agreements.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.