AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent the last two years reading about HDNet and not getting it (been an OTA/non-HD DISH guy), this week I had Comcast installed.

I've been blown away by the PQ of INHD/2 and havbeen enjoying many of the programs I've seen. But last night I began to wonder what some of the differences may be between INHD and HDNet. So, here are a couple of questions for those who have seen/had both:

PQ - any difference between the two? Unlike anything I've seen OTA, there seems to be hardly any detectable macroblocking in the INHD images - even in fast motion shots.

Program content - An electic mix of stuff from movies to sports, concerts, movie trailers, nature eye-candy . No real specific identity but interesting stuff anyway.

Preference - If you could only have one (Cable or Sat) would the option of HDNet vs. INHD play a role in your choice of provider.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by btokars
PQ - any difference between the two? Unlike anything I've seen OTA, there seems to be hardly any detectable macroblocking in the INHD images - even in fast motion shots.
Any difference in the HD image quality would be attributed to the provider, not the source. I haven't heard any comments comparing HDNet from Dish to HDNet from DirecTV, but I suspect we'll be hearing them soon.

Quote:
Program content - An electic mix of stuff from movies to sports, concerts, movie trailers, nature eye-candy . No real specific identity but interesting stuff anyway.
Programming is a individual preference. See both providers web sites for what they each carry. I personally like sports, and both carry them (HDNet - NHL, college sports, etc.) (INHD - MLB, college sports, etc.), so in that respect they are well matched.

Quote:
Preference - If you could only have one (Cable or Sat) would the option of HDNet vs. INHD play a role in your choice of provider.
This is not really a realistic case. If you can only have one, your choice is already made for you. A better question would be: If both were offered in your area, which would you choose? I chose both; I get HDNet from DirecTV, and INHD from Comcast. When Dish comes out with the 811 or 921, I'll probably get one of those and compare what HDNet looks like on both DBS systems.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Given the availability of both, and only 1 choice, I would stay with DIRECTV. I might possibly change my mind in the spring with a full season of Sox HD games on INHD, but it's doubtful. I am very pleased with DIRECTV.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll chime in.

I think the PQ between HDNet vs. INHD is very comparable. As Ken said, it's all about the source material, and both channels get a lot of beautiful, high quality source material. They are both 1080i, and I would consider most material on either channel to be my favorite demo stuff for guests, along with PBS-HD.

If I had to choose one, it would be INHD without a doubt. This is a no-brainer for me though because I live in Boston. I am a huge sports fan, and INHD2 carries the NESN-HD (New England Sports Network) feeds of both the Red Sox and Bruins home games.:D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Personally, Given a choice I would not subscribe to a system that does not carry HDNET. mcuban and company have done alot in providing us earlier adopters something to watch and they are very responsive to their target audience (us). So in return they have my loyalty. Any new service that wants my business had better be carrying it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
just to chime in. First, we have no problem with InHD. I dont think anyone every has enough HD and the more they see the more they want. That said there is one primary difference between the 2 nets.

InHD is there to be a backdrop network. Much like Fox Sports Net is there to be a backdrop for your local FRox sports broadcast,that is InHD's role, and its a valuable one. InHD doesnt program NESN, your local MSO does. They merely pre empt one of the InHD networks.

This allows InHD to be low cost , which it has to be as a backdrop net. On the flipside with a pre empted primetime, being offered for free or close, and not selling advertising, even with 3 big companies, or possibly because it has 3 public companies behind it, its tough to spend a lot of money on a wide diversity of programming. Not to speak for them, but to me it explains why they would invest in MLB and possibly NBA (with whom they already do alot of business with InDemand distribution of those sports), and why they cant/havent/wont (dont know the answer there) spend on non sports original production shot in HD, and why most of their HD VIdeo programs are shows that HDNet has already licensed or were licensed non exclusively and are available to them. PUt it all together and InHD can have a very successful run as a backdrop network.

Which leads to the differences. HDNet does more original non sports production shot in HD Video than every other network combined. That is a key differentiation that we continue to invest in. Word Report, Across America, True Music, Get Out, Bikini Destinations, Bass Champs, Festivals of the World, Higher Definition , etc, etc, and more to come. Special events like concerts using our HDNet trucks, the California Debate, (and we are looking at carrying the National Political Conventions), and more.

.When we first started up there wasnt a big library of 3rd party HD video. We licensed what we could in HD Video, Texas Wild, Cutter Mohawk , etc and then supplemented it with canceled series shot on film, since those were the least expensive ways to get some level of variety on the network beyond our sports.

You will see fewer and fewer canceled series since we have invested heavily in original series shot in HD Video . Believe it or not, we are already past the 50 eps level for both World Report and True Music, and we will continue to raise the bar daily and move into scripted series and shows that were hits on tv rather than cancelled, and which most of you have never seen in HD. We also will be doing original HD Movies. Shot in HD, for theatrical distribution and play on HDnet and HDnet movies. THese movies will be done in 1080i, some in 24p, some 30fps, NONE of which will ever be seen in standard def, ever.

Because we bougth the landmark theater chain (go to their theaters and let me know what you think ), we also are going to be in a better position to buy movies, and in some cases, particularly those shot in 24p (not the major studio stuff), buy them outright and make sure they are also never seen in SD.

If InHD wants to match our investment in these areas, thats ok, no one ever gets enough HD and as always, the more you see, the more you want. We WANT to be on the same system as them and any other HD provider. As we all know, there is nothing better than great programming that was shot in HD and has never been converted, and we plan on being the leader

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Why are INHD/INHD2, HDNet, and CBS's HD "It's All Here" promos alike? Something like this occurred to me last night while watching CSI on CBS and observing the great crispness of CBS's on-the-set promo 'takes' for their shows. Earlier, before my cable company dropped INHD after U.S. Open tennis, I caught INHD's fantastic preview loop, including the best taped 1080i I've seen, those eye-popping shots of African wildlife. Regret Time Warner Cable here isn't delivering all the HDNet sources.

Recall some earlier threads about CBS's promos, and what seems to be common to all those sources is that most of the material is 1080/60i videotape. By contrast, most of CBS's shows are filmed or taped at 24p and converted to 1080/60i with 2:3 pulldown. (1080/60i = 1080/30i, but doesn't become 30 frames per second until it reaches your brain.) The one exception is CBS's weekday soap, Y&R, also taped at 1080/60i, but with some fairly obvious filtering.

It seems to take a while viewing 1080i before you can distinguish between 24p-originated to 1080/60i-originated material. In rare cases, generally until there's extensive motion, this can be hard to pin down, IMO. Don't think any programmer originates all its material as 1080/60i. -- John

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Mark...If you're still reading this, is there any chance of HDNet working a similar deal with NESN as INHD, and passing through the Red Sox and Bruins HD games?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I started this thread I want to say thank you to those of you who have responded, or will respond. Mr. Cuban, thank you for your detailed response! I, like you, believe there no such thing as too much HD. I really wish I was able to afford more than one paid programming source and I would dearly love to receive HDNet. The choice for me between Comcast and one of the Sat services came down to the issue of locals in HD - something that the Sat services will probably not offer any time soon. So, it is my fervent hope that you will be able to cut a deal with Comcast for carriage. And finally, thank you for keeping he HD flame going and setting the bar so high. I look forward to the day when your networks will light up my screen.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
To mcuban, all I have to say is keep up the good work. It is obvious that HDNet is the leader in high definition programming. And instead of resting on your laurels, you're continuing to improve. When it comes to HD-only channels, no one comes close to HDNet.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I cant compare the two but I will say that I like what I have seen so far on INHD.

I have not seen the NESN Broadcasts because I like in the DC Market which is the O's market. I liked the few movies and I especially love the Nature shows. Nothing like looking at the Earth from Space in HD. I was Awed.

All I can say is instead of setting them up as competitors lets set them up as innovators. These stations are pushing HD out there and lets all be thankful for that.

Oh, GO SOX!

·
Registered
744 Posts
See what I mean. Responsive to their viewers.

Now while I totally agree with the more HD the better and I want it all as much as the next guy. Im just saying that all other channels being equal except INHD and HDNET, Im chosing HDNET.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by btokars
Having spent the last two years reading about HDNet and not getting it (been an OTA/non-HD DISH guy), this week I had Comcast installed.

I've been blown away by the PQ of INHD/2 and havbeen enjoying many of the programs I've seen. Looking forward to hearing your responses.....
Hi btokars:

You are getting INHD on Comcast cable in San Fran?

I just checked the Comcast.com website, clicked the "what's available", typed in a couple of SanFran zip codes (94122, 94118), and get only the same 6 channels as in the mid peninsula: ABC, NBC, PBS, ESPNhd, HBO, SHO. No INHD!

Can you explain a little more? Is the comcast website NOT up-to-date?

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTV888
Hi btokars:

You are getting INHD on Comcast cable in San Fran?

I just checked the Comcast.com website, clicked the "what's available", typed in a couple of SanFran zip codes (94122, 94118), and get only the same 6 channels as in the mid peninsula: ABC, NBC, PBS, ESPNhd, HBO, SHO. No INHD!

Can you explain a little more? Is the comcast website NOT up-to-date?

Thanks
I am getting INHD on Comcast cable in Berkeley. The "what's available" page for me does not list INHD at this time. So I'd say it was not up-to-date :).

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I kinda get the impression that INHD is roughly where HDNet was 2 years ago, though I haven't seen it yet.

HDNet has already become significantly more than a background demo channel. The quality of their self-produced programming goes much further imho than just pretty pictures.

As a half-assed cinema enthusiast I truly find Higher Definition to be about the best movie industry oriented show on the air. This is not one of those Access Hollywood type shows with nothing but tabloid stuff and studio flack pushing whatever blockbuster is openning this weekend. The interviews are far from the fluff pieces found on other entertainment news shows. I'd make a point of watching this show if it were on the worst analog station on the dial.

Although I don't necessarily find Hogan's Heros to be a must see, some of the "cancelled" tv shows are really quite good, and well worth my time. I discovered Wolf Lake on HDNet and wish they would consider putting it back into production.

Finally, the fact that HDNet and it's owner are so responsive to their veiwers is truly refreshing.

Remember when HDNet Movies started and had the black level too high??

Didn't take long for that and the bug issue to be resolved, did it?

Unfortunately I don't think there are any Landmark Theaters in my area. If there were I'd probably go to more movies as I'm sure within a few months one will be able to go to a Landmark theater and not have to suffer thru the usual lousy presentation one finds in theaters these days--subwoofer turned off, lousy scratched film prints, etc. Mark might even find a way to block cellphone signals in them.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Quote:
InHD is there to be a backdrop network. Much like Fox Sports Net is there to be a backdrop for your local FRox sports broadcast,that is InHD's role, and its a valuable one. InHD doesnt program NESN, your local MSO does. They merely pre empt one of the InHD networks.
Well, the HD MLB games carried in InHD in my city are NOT carried by my MSO (in SD or otherwise). They are giving me games I would not normally get.

And when they are blacked out, the channel is black, not showing other non-MLB programming.

That is a good service IMO.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
What does InHD do in terms of on screen logos?
Most of the time there's an annoying logo bug in the right hand lower corner. Exception is movie trailers. And right now I'm watching a college football game and the logo is up top with the score/time/Qtr data.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.