AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I recently inherited some Sonus Faber Minuetto's but I don't have an amp/preamp. Supposedly, they recommend 8ohms 25W - 120W power. I'm only going to be connecting a Mac Mini (for Airplay'd audio and movies) and my TV digital audio out but I unfortunately only have about a 4.5" height cabinet shelf so that is quite limiting. Just as an fyi, the room is about 14' by 20'.

I originally was just going to buy the TEAC A-H01 but when I went to a local hi-fi store, they recommended the Peachtree Decco65 or NAD 7050 because of their higher power output and better DAC. Then, in doing some research, I noticed the slim receivers like the Yamaha RX-S600 and Marantz NR1604 which have the added benefit of surround sound for the future but that won't be for at least another 5 years or so for me, so it seems unnecessary.

Do any of you recommend any of the above products? Is it true that the A-H01 probably won't have enough to power the Minuetto's sufficiently? If not, what would be your recommended wattage I should aim for? Is there really a noticeable difference between the sound quality of any of these products, especially when coming out of a Mac Mini? Any other product recommendations? I can't go above $1000.

Thank you for any insight.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmorg  /t/1523899/inherited-sonus-faber-minuettos-need-something-to-power-them#post_24519242

Hey folks,

I recently inherited some Sonus Faber Minuetto's but I don't have anything to power them. Supposedly, they recommend 8ohms 25W - 120W power. I'm only going to be connecting a Mac Mini (for Airplay'd audio and movies) and my TV digital audio out but I unfortunately only have about a 4.5" height cabinet shelf so that is quite limiting. Just as an fyi, the room is about 14' by 20'.

I originally was just going to buy the TEAC A-H01 but when I went to a local hi-fi store, they recommended the Peachtree Decco65 or NAD 7050 because of their higher power output and better DAC. Then, in doing some research, I noticed the slim receivers like the Yamaha RX-S600 and Marantz NR1604 which have the added benefit of surround sound for the future but that won't be for at least another 5 years or so for me, so it seems unnecessary.

Do any of you recommend any of the above products? Is it true that the A-H01 probably won't have enough to power the Minuetto's sufficiently? If not, what would be your recommended wattage I should aim for? Is there really a noticeable difference between the sound quality of any of these products, especially when coming out of a Mac Mini? Any other product recommendations? I can't go above $1000.

Thank you for any insight.
You could also look at the Carvin line of amps if you're looking for more power. They're all American made in San Diego.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/

I would buy one of these to drive mine but I use headphones most of the time anyways so I won't bother my neighbors.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Of course the dealer told you that you should buy one of those other things!  They cost more, and are probably what the dealer sells!  The dealer's job and livelihood depend on parting people like you from their money.  The more money he gets from you, the better off he is.

The Teac should be fine for normal volumes.  [Remember, the manufacturer thought that 25 watts may be enough.]  If you like to listen at deafening levels, then you probably want more power, but otherwise, it is likely unnecessary.  As for the DACs, better ones will not be audibly better.  Good DACs are cheap these days, and common as dirt.  People who buy expensive ones are wasting their money.

Download and read the manual before you buy, so you can make sure that the placement you have in mind allows for adequate ventilation.  If you did not have the height issue, you could get something for less that would give you more power.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Teac is one of the most underrated brands in audio. It will work just as well as the ones the dealer wants you to buy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The Teac A-H01 seems to be rated 30W at 8ohms which seems pretty low for my speakers but maybe I will just purchase it and see what happens...

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Download and read the manual before you buy, so you can make sure that the placement you have in mind allows for adequate ventilation.
This is important.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The best-sounding amplifier I know of for under $1000 is the Music Hall 15.3 which goes for $549. It is only 3.1 inches tall.

It is excellent, and has some very good features. That is probably the best for you. It is a bargain at that price.

Another very good one is the NAD C326BEE, which also sounds very good. It is 4 inches tall.

The Marantz 1604 is not bad, and should have adequate power, but IMO either of the above will sound better with your speakers.

Any amplifier that is rated for 40 watts or above will have plenty of power to drive your speakers.

POWER is not the issue; at least the RATED power, which comes from a lab test with an 8 ohm resistor for a load. That is a joke. It tells you nothing about how it will actually SOUND driving SPEAKERS.

Driving real speakers is 100 times as hard for an amplifier, and that is where you find out how well the amplifier is designed.

Better amplifiers, such as the Music Hall and NAD, will put out less distortion when driving SPEAKERS than amplifiers that are not designed as well.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Arcam A19 is a very good amplifier, but it costs nearly $2000, doesn't it?

For $1500, the Musical Fidelity M3i is also excellent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Listen to Xerosleep and get some great but used electronics on that budget you have. Buying good stuff used for half the price gives you better sound and more power to get your SF's to open up and sing with no strain!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmorg  /t/1523899/inherited-sonus-faber-minuettos-need-integrated-amplifier#post_24519242

Hey folks,

I recently inherited some Sonus Faber Minuetto's but I don't have an amp/preamp. Supposedly, they recommend 8ohms 25W - 120W power. I'm only going to be connecting a Mac Mini (for Airplay'd audio and movies) and my TV digital audio out but I unfortunately only have about a 4.5" height cabinet shelf so that is quite limiting. Just as an fyi, the room is about 14' by 20'.

These are small speakers with a small woofer and relatively low efficiency (85 dB/W)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-minuetto-loudspeaker-measurements
Quote:
I originally was just going to buy the TEAC A-H01

Pricey but small.
Quote:
but when I went to a local hi-fi store, they recommended the Peachtree Decco65 or NAD 7050 because of their higher power output and better DAC.

I agree with Jack's comments about dealers and parting with money.
Quote:
Then, in doing some research, I noticed the slim receivers like the Yamaha RX-S600 and Marantz NR1604 which have the added benefit of surround sound for the future but that won't be for at least another 5 years or so for me, so it seems unnecessary.

Given the price premium in those particular cases I can see your point. AVRs tend to be big empty boxes so it does not take a lot of technology to make them smaller. However it seems that people will pay more money for the convenience of the smaller AVR so here we are - paying more for less!
Quote:
Do any of you recommend any of the above products? Is it true that the A-H01 probably won't have enough to power the Minuetto's sufficiently?

Power requirements are primarily based on 3 things:

(1) Speaker efficiency.

(2) Listening distance.

(3) Preferences for listening sound level.

Right now you hold all the cards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts