AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Current status (as of last night).

Starting to mark out speaker & spotlight locations, need to move a few pipes / air conditioning tubes around before the isolation / plasterboard goes on, but generally looking good.

You can see a cut out in the floor (which managed to miss the underfloor heating) which will be the line to carry power to the electric seats. That is 440cm back from the far wall, which will be 4m back from the screen - which is my MLP. You can see the stone flooring starts at 623cm back.

Speakers and spotlights will be installed in niches built using the sound proof plasterboard, isolation & sound proofing layer so that we don't have to cut any holes in it once it's finished.

Will keep the updates coming...

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Johnny
I’m just seeing this discussion - but saw your other thread on 4 way masking. What did you find when looking for options? Curious what conclusions you came up with- other than Stewart being pricey (which it is!). Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Update:

Attached are the renders that I have given to my general contractor to inform them how to finish the space.

Unfortunately, the 9 ft high basement will have a final ceiling height lower than anticipated, partly due to installations and partly because the decoupling adds 5cm or so to the depth. Final ceiling height across the basement will be 2.40m (this is the height of the soffits in the cinema area). Star ceiling will start 5cm higher and extend to 2.65m at the top of the slope by the projector.

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Johnny
I’m just seeing this discussion - but saw your other thread on 4 way masking. What did you find when looking for options? Curious what conclusions you came up with- other than Stewart being pricey (which it is!). Thanks

I reached the conclusion that I had to go and physically see these screens to decide. The remaining choices are Screen Research and DT technologies. Key considerations are the depth of the top framing (as the projector is slightly above the top of the screen and I want no shadow) and ease of programming. I am completing the basement, likely including the projector before I decide on the size too.

Incidentally, one benefit of the reduced ceiling height is that I will now have space to conceal any projector in the ceiling, including the Z1 or VW5000

·
Registered
515 Posts
Gorgeous renders. Can't wait to see the final product. Especially interested in your screen choice (size/masking) and projector.

What are you using for control?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Gorgeous renders. Can't wait to see the final product. Especially interested in your screen choice (size/masking) and projector.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

In the renders the screen size is 167.5" diagonal, which seems like the sweet spot. There's space for a little larger but perhaps HDR viewing would be better on slightly smaller. This is why ideally I'm aiming for 4 way masking.

Projector choices now are between Z1 and NX9 - and I will likely couple whichever one I get with an anamorphic lens.

For control, preinstallations are all geared around installing a Control 4 system but nothing nailed down yet. The domotic system for the rest of the house is KNX, so all the planned spotlights, LED lighting, and things like the black-out blinds on the opposite end of the basement are already controlled by that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I reached the conclusion that I had to go and physically see these screens to decide. The remaining choices are Screen Research and DT technologies. Key considerations are the depth of the top framing (as the projector is slightly above the top of the screen and I want no shadow) and ease of programming. I am completing the basement, likely including the projector before I decide on the size too.

Incidentally, one benefit of the reduced ceiling height is that I will now have space to conceal any projector in the ceiling, including the Z1 or VW5000

After much deliberation, I just pulled trigger on the DT Screen 4 way masking. @ccool96 helped me with the purchase. 14.5 ft wide. Will be a few months before install - i will put up a review on forum. 1.2 gain screen. My calibrator reviewed the screen fabric and he really liked its performance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
After much deliberation, I just pulled trigger on the DT Screen 4 way masking. @ccool96 helped me with the purchase. 14.5 ft wide. Will be a few months before install - i will put up a review on forum. 1.2 gain screen. My calibrator reviewed the screen fabric and he really liked its performance.

Fantastic - congrats on the decision! Did you manage to see the screen in action before you committed?

Looking forward to your review - it'll probably still be in time for me :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fantastic - congrats on the decision! Did you manage to see the screen in action before you committed?

Looking forward to your review - it'll probably still be in time for me :)

No I didn’t see it in action. Saw several videos on the masking action and was waiting on my video calibrator to give me thumbs up or down on screen. I was worried about picture quality of a weave fabric. He took fabric sample to the CEDIA HQ and tested it on a Loki and was impressed with it. He’s testing on a Sony 5000 stack this week.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Update on progress - entire basement being built with decoupled ceilings & walls. Steel framing is all suspended from the concrete ceiling, with sound insulating clips in-between (you can see these black blocks at the bottom of each suspended strut). Double layer of heavy-duty plasterboard will follow and rockwool in the cavity. Ceiling itself is double layer reinforced concrete beam and block, with additional layer of under-floor heating, screed & then heavy stone flooring (1 inch thick).

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Update:

- Rockwool going in ceiling void
- Metal frame for glass stair banisters being welded on
- Sliding door enclosure being started (to close off basement)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,923 Posts
That is going to be a very, very attractive room. I am sure, once it is complete, you will have a wonderful space to watch movies.

But I recommend you consider two things:

(1) The space behind your theater will need some kind of passive sound treatment so as not to negatively affect the theater. I have calibrated a theater laid out very similar to yours and the space behind his theater (the theater is treated) is VERY reflective, and even though he is using a Trinnov as a processor, the reflections from the space behind the theater still negatively affect the audio in his theater. He now has a plan to address that.

(2) You may need to consider a substantial amount of "woofage" to pressurize all of that space if you are looking for an LFE tactile response. Again, the same person to whom I referred above has 6 Seaton F18's in his theater. And while the bass is clean, and extended, it simply can not pressurize his current space. Just something to think about.

I really love what you are doing. Looking forward to see your progress.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That is going to be a very, very attractive room. I am sure, once it is complete, you will have a wonderful space to watch movies.

But I recommend you consider two things:

(1) The space behind your theater will need some kind of passive sound treatment so as not to negatively affect the theater. I have calibrated a theater laid out very similar to yours and the space behind his theater (the theater is treated) is VERY reflective, and even though he is using a Trinnov as a processor, the reflections from the space behind the theater still negatively affect the audio in his theater. He now has a plan to address that.

(2) You may need to consider a substantial amount of "woofage" to pressurize all of that space if you are looking for an LFE tactile response. Again, the same person to whom I referred above has 6 Seaton F18's in his theater. And while the bass is clean, and extended, it simply can not pressurize his current space. Just something to think about.

I really love what you are doing. Looking forward to see your progress.
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

I agree completely with both points. I'm going to see what treatment is necessary in the rest of the space once we're in and once the system is up and running. Having sought advice from Steinway and other Steinway customers, I'm told and am hoping that it is in some way beneficial that the 'back' wall of the theater is so far back (approx 20m) to minimise the impact of the reflections back and forth. But we'll see - it may be something I need to address.

Regarding bass, I'm probably more in the camp where accuracy is most important rather than the visceral feeling of my chest thumping with the bass. I've experienced very small rooms with relatively low powered subs which caused a dramatic feeling in the gut, and my space will be extremely hard to achieve the same effect in. I'm sort of OK with, or prepared for that, but I have also experienced a similar setup to what I have planned at the Gecko showroom. They have a larger theater space than mine, also backing onto another home theater space as well as probably the same size space again to the left hand side. With 6 of the boundary woofers placed in the corners, each independently capable of an SPL of 117dB, they are able to achieve as much bass as my taste demands. In fact, Rob was experimenting with additional dedicated LFE subs behind the seats and I preferred the balance without them. We will see, I don't know if I have much scope to expand beyond the planned 6. It strikes me that a common theme on these pages is the constant pursuit for more bass, so perhaps once the novelty of the system wears off, I too will seek the same thing :rolleyes:

The back up solution to both of these issues (should they turn out to be problems for me) is to allow the cinema space to be closed off with some kind of sliding wall when watching films, and open for live sports & other more social occasions. At least the sound proofing for the rest of the basement wouldn't be entirely wasted, as it would lessen the demands for noise isolation on those doors.

Will keep you updated and thanks again!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Update on progress: plasterboard and further sound insulation going on (3 layer system). Enclosure for sliding door completed.

View to the cinema area from the opposite end of the basement:

View from cinema area to opposite end:

Round the corner (far side of basement) showing acoustic insulation layers:

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Very nice cinema chairs! Do you know if they can send internationally ?
I have emailed them to ask - will let you know what they say.

Another product you might wanna check out is King Cloud (my first choice - but slightly more expensive). They definitely ship internationally and the design of the recliners is the best I've seen (very similar, but more refined). Height of these chairs (in default position) is 77cm.

https://www.kingliving.com.au/furniture/sofas-modulars-recliners/king-cloud-iii

They have sales every few months with up to 50% off - the prices seem highly negotiable. I pieced together a quote for a 4 seater config which was 384cm wide, with 70cm chairs and smart consoles in-between. That was about 40% off.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 86 Posts