AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Akai from Costco. I am generally happy with the performance of the unit. It took less than an hour to get it up and running including installation of the wall mount. It is located in the master bedroom and is a huge improvement over the old 27" tabletop TV that it replaced.

I have a question related to 3:2 pull down conversion. The Akai website states that the picture uses a "progressive scan system", which to me would indicate 3:2 conversion. I hooked up my Panasonic DVD player to component 1 and was definately able to notice a difference in the picture when switching back and forth between progressive and interlaced output on the DVD player. This would indicate to me that the monitor is not doing any of this conversion itself.

I am really wondering if I will notice a difference on SD content if I have a monitor with built in 3:2 pull down conversion vs. a monitor that does not seem to have it.

The picture is pretty good from SD sources and great with HD sources. So far I watched two of the NBA game on DTV channel 198 and they were very impressive as is HDNet of course. The NBA games on TNT were not that good; although, the picture was also poor on my 36" JVC analog set. I think that is more a matter of compression by DTV.

I am generally pretty picky with respect to the quality of my electronics and thought I would try this model to see what it was like. I originally expected that I would want to return it right away, but I have liked it so far and think I might actually keep it as I will be viewing HD and DVD most of the time on this monitor and it does a great job with these sources. I did look at the ED Panasonic at a local store via DirecTV and did not notice a significant difference between the two. It might be different if they were side by side. The things I like about the Akai over the Panasonic are the amount of inputs, the included wall mount, ability to return it if I don't like it for any reason and the price.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had an Akai for several month now, and my assessment pretty much matches yours. On the whole, I am quite happy with the set. Around here (AVSForum) it is considered a "second tier" plasma, but I really do like it, and would make the same purchase all over again, if given the choice. It was mostly the generous return policy that helped me make my final decision. I have analog cable (ugh), DVD and a HTPC connected and am pleased with the picture on all - even the analog cable.

There are a couple of old threads you might find interesting. This one has just about everything you could want to know about Akai:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=209196

And here's a FAQ that I contributed:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=234442

I think the consensus is that the Akai does not have 3:3 pulldown and that you would depend on your DVD player for that - of course there's no help there with HDTV.

Anyhow good luck with your Akai. I hope you are as happy with your set as I am with mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.