AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's wife didn't like the aesthetics of my buddy's old Bose single cube 5.1 system he bought years ago so he asked me which Soundbar to get with a total budget of $2500 for TV and sound.

Even though the (very nice) Samsung QLED 65" Q6 was only $1600 I suggested this soundbar after reading the CNet review of the much more expensive Sonos soundbar I initially was pushing him towards.

I'm not a soundbar guy at home, I've installed two prior to yesterday for friends and family and while "decent" would never make them my first recommendation unless it was clear that either aesthetics, simple operation and/or the simple desire for "just better than TV speakers" was the real desire.

So he drove 32 miles as the local Best Buy didn't have it but another one did and he wanted free returns in case it sucked despite CNet's enthusiasm.

Well, it doesn't suck, it's actually very good at what you want most which is sound and IMHO it sounds far better than the Bose system it replaced with better voice clarity, musicality and bass extension. No surprise considering the Polk Command Bar has real tweeters and woofers in the bar and an amplified sub vs single range drivers and a passive mid bass box for the Bose.

Sure it is only a 2.1 system unlike the snazzier Yamaha and Vizio(?) soundbars I've installed before but I think it sounds BETTER to be honest with no whiz bang fake surround effects.

Sound is crystal clear, dialog is perfect and there isn't an apparent "hole" in the frequency response between the main unit and the surprising decent sound little wireless sub.

The wireless plug and play sub is a great little thing and believe it or not, I wish it were sold singly as I have another friend who could use a teeny tiny sub plus it would be even better if you could add a second to the Polk Command bar but even in my friend's 500 sq/ft space it is not truly necessary, (the bassheads in the subwoofer department would be falling over laughing at this point).

My main sub has a msrp of $4500 so it's nothing like that but then again it seems to have reasonably flat frequency response so not a one note boom box at all.

Bluetooth worked great but as I left yesterday he was struggling a bit to set up Alexa via the Polk Smartphone App which to me is irrelevant as I have zero desire to talk to Alexa ever never mind using her to raise and lower the volume on a soundbar! :p

So, highly recommended if the looks don't offend. $300 or less depending on whether there is a sale on or not.

He's keeping it.

Sound bar:
Built-in Amazon Alexa
voice control over volume, sound mode, and source selection
voice control of compatible music streaming services and smart home devices
Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
Polk VoiceAdjust technology for crystal-clear dialogue
sleek cabinet can easily be placed on a TV stand or wall-mounted using built-in keyhole slots

160 watts of amplification

performance-tuned driver array:
two 1-1/4" x 3-1/4" mid/woofers
two 1" tweeters

43"W x 2-1/8"H x 4-1/8"D

weight: 4.95 lbs.

Subwoofer:
connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
requires AC power (power cord included)
subwoofer volume controls (via remote or voice) to customize bass response
7-1/2"W x 14-1/2"H x 15-1/16"D
weight: 8.65 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
2.1-channel system
dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi®
built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI/ARC output (one cable included)
allows pass-through of 4K and HDR content
optical digital audio input (cable included)
deluxe IR remote control
includes integrated Alexa action button which decreases sound bar volume to ensure voice commands are heard
Warranty: 3 years (speakers); 1 year (amplifier)

Alexa voice control requires a home Wi-Fi network

1 - 1 of 1 Posts