AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Sanyo Z1 / Boxlight 1HD today and got it hooked up.

We're using the Z1 to replace my Sony 32" XBR tube TV that I use a Toshiba progressive scan DVD and DirecTV satellite, so I'm used to an excellent picture quality with the 32" XBR (just relatively small picture).

Upon setting up the Z1, the first thing I noticed was screendoor, at pretty much all distances. I didn't do much tweaking yet as I wanted to see how it would perform "right out of the box".

We put in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and the wife and I settled in. We just finished the basement so recently that we literally have no furniture down there yet, so we camped out on the floor probably around 10 feet from the 85 inch (horizontal) screen.

Right away the wife noticed that when the camera panned or when objects in the scene moved, you could often see a little distortion at the edge of the object. For some reason, this was especially noticable on Harry Potter's characteristically round eyeglass frame.

So we settled into the movie a bit and I started playing with the focus (actually defocus) to soften the image a bit. This got rid of most of the screen door, so much that if you are paying attention to what was going on in the movie you would totally forget about screen door.

The screendoor and motion artifacts SEEMED to get less noticable the longer we watched the movie. I assume this is partially due to us just getting used to the image from the LCD projector.

To be fair, we were sitting fairly close to the screen (around 10 feet). Normally we will plan to have the main seating at around 15 feet, but I imagine if we had alot of family over, some would sit on the floor at 10 feet.

I put in Star Wars Ep II and backed up to around 15 feet and the screen door all but disappeared. The motion artifact was much less also.

My question to the group is, when we first started watching the PJ, right away the wife asked if the Panasonic would improve either the screendoor or the motion artifact. I've heard that the Panny 300 is generally better with screen door (possibly the same as defocusing the Z1), but I have no idea about motion artifacts. Does anyone have any experience comparing the Z1 to the 300 in this regard?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think these motion artefacts are caused by the Z1's deinterlacer. If you feed it a progressive scan signal via the component inputs (or VGA) they should disappear.

I had the same problem on my Z1, and with a prog-scan signal the jagged edges are completely gone.

Also remember that films are shot at about 24 frames per second, so you'll always get some motion blur on fast moving objects (like you do in the cinema).

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
defocus that badboy and the screendoor won't be visible....and if you defocus to jsut the right amount, you won't lose any detail or suffer any PQ loss.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr_Belowski - I am using the component output of the DVD player, so I should be using the progressive signal from the DVD.

BrickTop - Thanks for the links to the two scanline (or whatever it should be called) threads. I'll try the service mode tweaks (#13, #14, & #15) that you and others mentioned.

I've read those threads a couple of weeks ago before buying my projector. The content of those threads didn't really sink in at the time because I didn't have a PJ yet and never experienced screendoor or motion artifacts. Now they make complete sense. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can be sending an interlaced feed via component, check your set up. Also some deinterlacers (on DVD players) will trip up on flags for progressive scan and fall into video mode where jagged interlaced artifacts will be very noticable at those screen sizes, and you wouldn't notice them as much at 32" screen.

A good scaler will work wonders on you sd feed as well. Some DVD players do better than others at staying in progressive mode, I think panny RP82 or something like that rated very well. I have a toshiba 4800 and it does ok but does tend to drop into video mode on occassion.

Iscan ultra can be had for less than $900, I know that is close to what we paid for our Z1s but will also do wonders with your satellite feed (football season is getting close and this will help.)

You will get over the screendoor. It drove me crazy for a while but I found the defocus doesn't affect the pq and is still as good as the L300U.

Enjoy your projector!

Don

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don - Thanks for the info. I have a slight suspicion that the DVD player may not be sending a progressive image. I have the Toshiba SD-9200 and I assumed that the component output must be a progressive signal.

I think the I adjusted the focus enough to take care of the screendoor. Now I can't wait to get home and try both the DVD settings and then the projector service menu settings.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is likely a switch for progressive on the back of the DVD player AND a menu setting or button on the remote. It took me a little while to figure this out on my Toshiba.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.