AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my new NEC VP4 from plasmaexterme.us and I wanted to share some of my initial observations.

Out of the box, set it on the desk stand, plugged in the power cord and svideo cable and within 5min I'm watching plasma TV.

In a word this thing is fantastic, vivid colors, sharp picture, blacks and I mean blacks and no humm (not more than the electric clock on the wall). OBTW I live at 7500' above sea level.

I must admit I don't have any others to do a side by side direct comparision. In fact I bought it on faith, sight unseen. But, I've been to the stores and have seen the pannys and pios and others and I think this NEC is as good as the best. It's everything I ever expected in a plasma and more. So, anyone who lives at high altitude might want to concider it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on the new unit! Any pics flying this way soon so that we can all see the latest and greatest from NEC?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just checked out the specs at plasmaextreme. Why is the contrast ratio listed as "NA"?

Is this an industrial unit? Is it the successor to the MP3?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Some manufacturers do not make this information available to the public(Pioneer for another example) due to the fact that they do not agree on the validity of the different types of tests used to determine the contrast ratio of a unit. And yup, I think this is the replacement for the MP3.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
contrast ratio ratings are a big sham with Panasonic leading the trend of > 3000:1 ratings (which there's no way on earth they can actually meet).

All we all need to know is if it's above 1000:1 (more likely 600:1 in realistic tests) or not. This model definitely is above that number.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Taos Bob - Now that you've had your 42PV4 for a while, what are your observations? Is the unit still impressive? Did you get a solution for the DVD screen power-up problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ArtBee

You Bet! I think it's great and since the first day no tweeking necessary. It works great on everything Dish, DVD, VCR you name it. Now I suppose there are those out there that would feel the need to mess with it but I have not and I watch it a lot, mostly Dish. The National Geographic station (possibly HD) will just blow your socks off. Regular TV stations good also, although it takes a little getting used to as peoples proportions are a bit different depending on the signal ratio and the PDP ratio set up. But all in all we (wife and I) like it a lot and still no hum at 7500' above sea level.

No! We have not resolved the power up issue, but I have all the faith in the world that it will get resolved to my satisfaction. If not I'll call in the big gun Lisa. One of the issues around the service is there is only one NEC service center here in NM and it's 150 mi away in Albuquerque. They won't travel all the way up here to Taos for a service call and I won't bring it all the way down there because of the in house service warranty. Now, you must understand the problem is not earth shattering but only an inconvenience but it will have to get fixed at some point. I talked with the service guy at NEC the other day and I expect to hear from them soon.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Taos Bob, thanks for the update. Does the strange proportions occur in one or both of the stretch modes? The documentation I have shows either "Stadium" or "full". I assume one is for anamorphic movies and the other is to fill the screen with standard 1.33 material. Does it happen on both??

Thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ArtBee;

I use mostly stadium for TV and Zoom for DVD. There is an auto selection mode that picks the best setting for the particular input. When in doubt I hit the auto select and let the PDP do the selecting for me. It seems to work pretty well for me. It's not really a big deal, in stadium mode and regular programing people seem to look a little heavier than expected but then again in full mode after having watched stadium mode for a while I think they look a little tall and thin. But isn't that the way of it; if we're thin we want to be heavier and if we're heavy we want to be thinner.

I'm just happy to have my NEC, the depth of picture, color and crispness are overwhelming to the point that everything else is second and I have the sound system to go with it. Life is very good!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just received my 42VP4 from Lisa. I couldn't be more impressed. We auditioned all the big players including Fujitsu, and the NEC is the equal of any so far. We only are using composite until I can re-wire everything, but the initial results are spectacular. Great blacks, terrific scalar, and the adjustable zoom is super. No complaints on the stretch mode at all. Had a ground loop type problem, floating lines on sat, but Lisa suggested hooking up her cables and it worked. Lisa has been terrific to work with. I will be posting pics after everything is configured and it breaks in so I can steam some rat. Yes Taos Bob, life is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.