AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Barco Graphics 801. I plugged it in and turned it on to see if it worked. All three guns lit up. I'm 11'3" from the furthest wall and I didn't know exactly how to focus it so I powered it up and tried to make out what was on the screen. It wasn't at all focused. So I used the built in remote (it's missing the IR remote) and hit enter a couple times (and probably other buttons) hoping I'd do something constructive. This I now wish I hadn't done, btw! The blue gun is now not on. I'm hoping I didn't destroy something. Is there a way I can "reset" this thing if I entered some menu that turned off the blue lens? Is 11' far enough away from the wall to get an image or do I need to be even further back to get it to focus?

I'm a bit of a do-it-yourselfer and have a multimeter. Is there anything I should check for on this CRT PJ to determine if everything is OK?

Thanks for you time!

PS: I left it powered off but plugged in for the last several hours, went and turned it on again the blue gun was off. Within a minute or two the other two went off. I hit standby and then it powered down. I'm getting scared! Did I get a lemon?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Barco splash screen uses only the Red and Geen guns. You'll have to feed it an input or get into the set-up menu to see all three guns in operation.

Don

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! That had me a bit worried. Does anyone know how to focus it? The current focus is so poor I can't make out the words. The wingnuts on the outside edge of the lens is for corner focus right? Are the bolts on the inside used to do a rough focus before you run through the onscreen convergence?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just do the center one for Green and cover the red so you don't get confused. This will get you started because all the menus are green.

-Mike

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would suggest that you download the install manual for the Barco Data 801s from this site:
http://beamer.xs4all.nl/Documents.htm

I think there is another site, but I do not remember the URL, you could do a search here for manuals, you may find it.

It will help you with the basic setup and get you on your way.

I would do a search on this forum for Barco Graphics 801s, you will find a wealth of information here too.

Let us know if you have any problems, there are always people here to help, that is what makes this hobby/addiction great.

I have three BG801s and just upgraded to a BG808s. The BG801s is a great projector.

Good Luck.

Robert van der Veer

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links to the manuals Coyote. They helped a lot. I got the PJ roughly focused in. The install manual for the Barco Data 801s was pretty close. My model is actually the Graphics 801. The install manual for the data 801s says to use washers to shim out the lenses in 3 dif't ways depending on screen size. This doesn't appear correct for my model. As putting any washers in place would obviously leak light. My PJ has the HD-8 lenses. Can anyone confirm that the washer method isn't needed?

When I was doing the raster centering on the CRT, I noticed that a little bit of each corner is outside of the crt face. The manual says this shouldn't happen or it will damage the CRTs. Is it common to have corners outside of the CRT area? Is there a way to fix this?

When I was doing the align crosshairs steps, I noticed that the instructions appear to be incorrect. The data 801s install manual says to loosen bolts A,B,C & D to pivot the red lens. It looks like I have bolts A,B & C. But the only other bolt is not on the top plate (as B & C are), but instead it appears to be a long hex bolt. I couldn't figure out how to align the crosshairs properly as I was afraid to turn them too far as I feared damage to the PJ. (I appeared to get it horizontally lined up, but vertically was not right). I appeared to be making very slow progress using the bottom two long bolts on the red lens. But it seemed like it was getting tighter and I was still a ways off.. I went a little further and the red lens shut down! So I backed the bolt off. Luckily it came back on. So I'm unsure on how to manually align the lenses in the vertical direction on my graphics 801. Any ideas?

The next step in the install menu of my PJ was to adjust the 01 and 00 screw for diagonal. I was unsure of where these screws are. Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

One last question: I have a cable to go from VGA to 5 bnc. The ends are marked for the 3 colors and V and H. So I was going to use input 7. Which I believe is hooking up the RGV & H sync only. Would this be the best way of doing this? I'm using a PC with powerstip, win XP, Nvidia Gforce 2 MX440 (for now). I plan to run it in 720P, 72HZ. Can I just set my PC's resolution and plug it in like this and hooked up as RGB3S without worrying about frying anything? Any thoughts on a better way to do this?

Thanks for all your knowledge and time! I'm lovin' this hobby!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Welcome!

I got a BG800 through Curt and I have several links to other threads that should help you out quite a bit. Unfortunately when I hit the links the AVS server doesn't come up....

On my 800 you have 3 places to loosen the red gun for adjustment. One on the side(hole in the cover) just loosen this one! Then the 2 on top/bottom (depending on your mount) to loosen the top. The gun should swing freely. If it is stuck use this method posted by another AVS member, put your hand between the green gun and the red gun and slowly make a fist with that hand. It will apply gradual pressure to the gun and hopefully break it free. Do the same for the blue gun.

After you are able to read the text, go to the installation menu, it will walk you through setting up the projector. Again let us know if you have problems, everyone here is very helpful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went thru much the same problems with my Barco 1100. Barco has a lens program on their web site which will answer all questions about correct projector placement. You download the lens prog., plug in your lens type, and screen size, and it will give you a precise diagram. Its been some time since I did this, so other than www.barco.com I can't remember precisely where. Poke around on their site. Regarding proper centering of the three guns, assuming you follow the manual and get Rasters centered, then get close using the mechanical adjustments, there are also some electrical adjustments for vertical & horizontal centering. These require adjustments on boards within the projector and are not easily found. I discovered a post that included pictures: http://homefree.sensewave.com/-s173550/bg800_setup.htm. Mine were so far off on blue horizontal that convergence was impossible! Hope this helps-it takes quite a while to get everything right, but is worth it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
frego asked:

> Can anyone confirm that the washer method isn't needed? Is it common to have corners outside of the CRT area? I appeared to be making very slow progress using the bottom two long bolts on the red lens. But it seemed like it was getting tighter and I was still a ways off.. I went a little further and the red lens shut down! So I backed the bolt off. Luckily it came back on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the very informative post. I'll look for the long brass screws to adjust the vertical placement tonight.

Since my remote is the wired one on the rear of the machine, I am considering cutting that wire an splicing a hunk of cat5 in there, so I can hit the buttons while looking into the lenses for the centering steps. Has anyone done this? Is there a better way to do it?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you are referring to the brass screw that adjust vertical placement of the raster, then you won't find it. It is NOT a long brass screw. It is a small brass screw on a card in the projector. It should dotted with a small red circle for the red gun and blue for the blue gun.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.