AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could provide a pointer on this. I have just purchased a cable modulator from Radio shack to inject my replay tv signal to the rest of the house on channel 90. It works fine until I combine the signal with my normal cable wire at which point it becomes fuzzy. A friend has done something similar, and he blocked over channel 90 with a filter. After doing the block, the injected signal worked fine. I have digital cable, he does not.

My question is this, is there a filter that will just filter out near channel 90 or some other concise range so as not to block the signal to the rest of the house?

Can anyone recommend where to get a filter that would just block a specific range? I did a search on cable filters on the net, but all the links go to sites for people attempting to steal cable which I am not trying to do so I am unsure if these are similar products.

Anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks!

Rick

·
Registered
851 Posts
You will be able to get a filter from Smarthome.com. What you are referring to is a low pass filter that will filter out the signals from a certain channel and above. For instance, you can buy one that will block out channels 85 and above. The problem I ran into is that it also blocks out your digital signals which usually run higher than channel 85. What you might look into is something called a notch filter which should only block out a certain area of channels, such as 66-85.

Good Luck

·
Registered
805 Posts
Your digital signals might be comming in around 90. Just because you can't see a picture with an analog receiver doesn't mean there isn't a signal there [digital or cable modem for that matter]. You might be best served by trying other frequencies till you find a clear spot [I have to run at 120-122, even though there are no analog channels over 103]. Of course, that might put you in the same boat I'm in -- some of my old sets don't receive that high...

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
The real question is where are the cable companies carrying the digital signal.

In analog cable channel 90 is around 618MHz and only the channels higher than 90 (35 or so) are above 618MHz. So the filter would block out all those channels. This would allow the combining of your 619MHz signal in without a conflict.

But you are dealing in a digital world, not the analog world. What the cable company is doing I don't know. You may want to check with LoneTreeJim (is that the right guy?) he's a cableTV expert. Search for posts here and PM him asking him to look at this thread. If he's got time I'm sure he'd have helpful information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.