AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I just got the call from wife. In-laws want to buy HDTV tonight.

Here are the parameters.

1. Must be cheap/inexpensive. I think $600 is limit.

2. Must be reliable.

3. Must have good picture. They will be watching standard def cable with it.

4. I think we're talking about 32 or 37 inch.

5. They will be about 10-12 feet from TV.

6. It's for bedroom so curtains will be closed.

7. I think my F-I-L is set on LCD, mainly because it uses less electric than plasma.

(He's an accountant and loves numbers...no disrespect to other accountants out there...)

8. Must be current and future proof. Tuners/hook-ups etc.

9. We also have Sam's Club, Walmart, CC, Best Buy nearby. NO Costco.

They were driving back from BJ's Wholesale Club. They saw a Olevia 232V for $600.

I did some quick checking and saw Walmart has a Emerson 32" LCD HDTV with Built-in Digital/Analog Tuners, model LC320EM8 for $498.

Can anyone vouch for any of these TV's or suggest anything else with these parameters? I'm pretty sure that if I can riggle them into a HDTV then I am not far behind to get one as well so I don't want to screw this up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Olevia is very good TV for the $. Consumer Reports Best Value rated.

The 232, 432 and 532 all have tuners included, the 332 is without tuner, so that would not be the right choice for in-laws.

Target should have Olevia now, as well as Sears and Circuit City.

NOTE: LCD HDTVs look superb with HD signals, especially Olevia. But SD channels will actually look better on a 2003 27-inch Sony Wega. The higher resolution HDTV will show all the "warts" of the SD image.

Most people enjoy an HDTV because they can see sports and primetime TV in HD, and they put up with SD. If the in-laws cannot tune HD signals, they may be disappointed. So, get a nice UHF antenna as well as the LCD.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'll save you the hassle of all of the questions. At $600, your FIL will be getting whatever COSTCO/BB offers at $600 regardless of the answers to your questions as that price point really doesn't buy much TV. His point about electricity is a little correct, but equivalent sizes plasmas only use a little more power than LCD's. The picture quality of something like the $800 42" Maxent at costco will blow away any LCD at that price point (not even considering they'd be smaller).

Pretty much any TV at a retailer is current and nothing is futureproof. Given that he's only paying $600, this shouldn't even be a discussion.

The Olevias are nice, but out of the $600 price range. He can get a Vizio or the like for that, but nothing else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. We got the Olevia 237T at BJ's for $799.

Haven't taken it out of the box yet. I just got home and saw that Office Depot has the Olevia 237T for $699 so I'm sure we'll get teh difference or take it back and got to OD.

We were also contemplating the Visio 37".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.