AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

Input lag — help.... what speed is acceptable for PS5 / Xbox X gaming?

2773 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  yadspi
Hi there,

I want to get a PS5 (maybe one day an Xbox X).

I read rtings.com to see the analyses for the different new HDMI 2.1 tvs. Unfortunately, it’s just numbers. I don’t have a feeling for which speeds I will be using most often, and which speeds are acceptable, fast, super fast, too slow, etc. I can only understand it in black and white numbers to read which TV is faster or slower. I don’t know which numbers are important for real-life applications, and possibly I think some numbers are too slow but they are totally fine.

60Hz, 120Hz
1080p, 1440p, 4K
6ms, 8ms, 10ms, 15ms, 18ms

I know what these all are, but I don’t know which target input lags I should care about. Also, how important is native 1440p (vs forced) for me if I game with PS5 or Xbox X? Should I just care about how well the TV does with 60Hz?

Can someone help me understand more about this?

Thank you very much. I think I’m starting to care too much about tiny differences that maybe I will never ever be able to even notice.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I'm not much of a gamer, and assume your not either, otherwise would be using a gaming monitor for really low lag.

TV's are higher, think under 20ms is good and under 50ms acceptable depending on the type of games your playing. If your not very competitive wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

Most console games are going to be 60Hz for quite a while... there are 120Hz games out there, but some of them remove some graphics to run at that rate since current consoles don't have THAT much processing power.

So depends on how much you want to future proof.... but it's new technology, may be a few more model years until things really get working right.
Hi there,

I want to get a PS5 (maybe one day an Xbox X).

I read rtings.com to see the analyses for the different new HDMI 2.1 tvs. Unfortunately, it’s just numbers. I don’t have a feeling for which speeds I will be using most often, and which speeds are acceptable, fast, super fast, too slow, etc. I can only understand it in black and white numbers to read which TV is faster or slower. I don’t know which numbers are important for real-life applications, and possibly I think some numbers are too slow but they are totally fine.

60Hz, 120Hz
1080p, 1440p, 4K
6ms, 8ms, 10ms, 15ms, 18ms

I know what these all are, but I don’t know which target input lags I should care about. Also, how important is native 1440p (vs forced) for me if I game with PS5 or Xbox X? Should I just care about how well the TV does with 60Hz?

Can someone help me understand more about this?

Thank you very much. I think I’m starting to care too much about tiny differences that maybe I will never ever be able to even notice.
If you only use consoles 1440p is useless for TVs, that's for using a PC. As for input lag, any TV with less than 20ms and you'll likely won't notice anything and it'll feel good and snappy, most new TVs nowadays have an average of 10-15ms, some have even less depending if your game is running at 120hz (in Xbox's case you can set 120hz in the menu so the TV always run at 120hz).
If you only use consoles 1440p is useless for TVs, that's for using a PC. As for input lag, any TV with less than 20ms and you'll likely won't notice anything and it'll feel good and snappy, most new TVs nowadays have an average of 10-15ms, some have even less depending if your game is running at 120hz (in Xbox's case you can set 120hz in the menu so the TV always run at 120hz).
Thanks for that info. Ok, so consoles don’t need to worry about 1440p. Good to know. But if I want to just connect a laptop and use Microsoft Word, then I assume 1440p will let me laptop screen fit perfectly maybe, but if not 1440p the screen will get stretched in some way that’s doesn‘t fit snug, right?

Back to input lag on consoles.... If your TV is 16ms and mine is 8ms, can you tell the difference with the all other variables remaining constant?
I'm not much of a gamer, and assume your not either, otherwise would be using a gaming monitor for really low lag.

TV's are higher, think under 20ms is good and under 50ms acceptable depending on the type of games your playing. If your not very competitive wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

Most console games are going to be 60Hz for quite a while... there are 120Hz games out there, but some of them remove some graphics to run at that rate since current consoles don't have THAT much processing power.

So depends on how much you want to future proof.... but it's new technology, may be a few more model years until things really get working right.
Thank you for your reply.

I’m not a competitive gamer, but I do like games, and if I’m going to play I would like to appreciate its proper capabilities. If I’m going to die continuously in an RPG, I want to look good doing it. Regarding a gaming monitor, I just don’t prefer to sit at a desk when I can sit on a nice couch in my living room with a big TV. I do want to get back into gaming so I plan to spend a fair bit of time with a PS5 on open-world games that can show really nice graphics.

As for input lag, what I see is quite low for the TV’s I‘ve been thinking are possible choices. 7ms to 10ms seem to be on the faster side, and 15ms or 18ms in the middle. Higher numbers tend to be upper-20’s.

I wasn’t sure if going from say 8ms to 16ms to 24ms would be noticeable and something I should take into consideration. When will these differences be noticeable? Obviously 24ms is 3 times slower than 8ms. When does this matter?
can anybody answer this....

What types of games or conditions will the difference between 8ms and 24ms be noticeable?

what about 8ms vs 16ms?

Thanks
can anybody answer this....

What types of games or conditions will the difference between 8ms and 24ms be noticeable?

what about 8ms vs 16ms?

Thanks
Only for high end gamers playing shooter games who claim they can tell the difference between 8ms and 24ms. Most people won't be able to tell difference. Remember, this is milliseconds. thousandths of a second... do you really think you would notice a difference of 16 thousandths of a second ? Unless your playing big prize competitive games, don't worry that much about it, other features of TV's matter much more.
Reactions: 1
Thanks for that info. Ok, so consoles don’t need to worry about 1440p. Good to know. But if I want to just connect a laptop and use Microsoft Word, then I assume 1440p will let me laptop screen fit perfectly maybe, but if not 1440p the screen will get stretched in some way that’s doesn‘t fit snug, right?

Back to input lag on consoles.... If your TV is 16ms and mine is 8ms, can you tell the difference with the all other variables remaining constant?
It's more for if you want to run a game at 1440p for better performance, if you connect your laptop to the TV you'll just select 4k and use it. Like the above post said, you'll not notice the difference in MS unless you play outside of game mode at 100s+ of MS.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.