AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I read this thread and figured it was just something else to worry about regarding my PX80U.


I'm using Game Mode, and response time was instant from what I could tell playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 last night. I moved around rapidly for a long period of time to see if I could get input lag or green fringing, and I couldn't manage that either. I did manage to bog the XBOX 360 a bit though with my frantic movements and shooting, first time I've seen my 360 slow down.


I suppose there may be some lag there that I can't detect, but supposedly an LCD has input lag when gaming as well, and I played FPS's competetively on an LCD for many years, and didn't notice myself getting pwnt by players with CRTs.


I'm glad this is a non-issue for me, I have enough plasma worries!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
This is a great thread. I always wanted to test lag on a plasma and appreciate the hard work. Am I right in thinking the results could be better if the Panny did not scale and the Pio had game mode on - would your assesment be that there could be less than one frame of lag? These results so far are better than any LCD TV including Sharp's "vyper drive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deuce /forum/post/13670095


The exact number shown by the timer doesn't matter much. What actually matters is the number of frames that the TV is lagging.. The timer difference, if there is any, will tend to roughly differ by multiples of 30..

It doesn't seem to work that way though. With "Virtual Stopwatch" you get completely random numbers, not multiples of 16 (one frame). I would believe the actual numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hey guys, this is the stuff i've been looking for, please keep it coming.


I'm currently waiting for the new 2008 Panasonics to be released because of their game mode, but I heard the European versions don't have it, and only the US do, which has me worried because I live in Australia and have no idea which models we'll be getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hey again, just thought add a few things i've discovered.


According to hdtvtest.co.uk the Sony Bravia W4000 series, and the 2008 Panasonic Viera PZ series have 0ms Input lag, both were 30ms faster than the reference Samsung F96 which has 30ms Input lag.


by 2009 this should be a non issue for gamers when buying a TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entity X /forum/post/14169766


Hey again, just thought add a few things i've discovered.


According to hdtvtest.co.uk the Sony Bravia W4000 series, and the 2008 Panasonic Viera PZ series have 0ms Input lag, both were 30ms faster than the reference Samsung F96 which has 30ms Input lag.


by 2009 this should be a non issue for gamers when buying a TV.

Hey Entity X, do you have a link to that info?


regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hey, the benchmark test results for the panny are on this page http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-...B/Calibration/

the TV they are using as a reference has 30ms of lag (i don't see why they do it this way). The other TV i mentioned was the Bravia W4000, they comment on the input lag at the bottom of this page http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40...cture-Quality/


Also, in the original AVS input lag thread there's a guy demonstrating that there's no input lag on his Sharp Aquas http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...558125&page=18


So that's 3 HDTV's with CRT levels of lag, it's looking good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I thought I would add my two cents here, too.


While this test is far from scientific, and it's an LCD (not a plasma), I found the most recent Sharp Aquos LCD TVs to be completely lagless. I have a Youtube video demonstrating me playing a variety of timing-sensitive games using 480i signals on them. I'm about as sensitive for timing as any gamer I know, so I recommend you check out this particular model. I should note that any console PS2 and newer will work with absolutely 0 ms of lag on this TV (with component cables, even if the game is 480i). I've tried my N64 on it through composites, and there may be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
I just sent back a 747i due to banding, but with game mode on it had 10ms of input lag. It achieves this by turning off most of the major video processing done by the HQV processor. Without game mode on the input lag is very high at around 160ms. When watching TV, dvd's, HD movies etc. there are lip-sync issues due to this. I have to turn up the audio delay on my receiver all the way to 160ms.


I'll be picking up a PDP-5010FD pretty soon. With game mode on these units are supposed to have ~12ms of input lag.


BTW, I play DOD:S. On my LG 24" I get 22ms of input lag on average. It's not an issue at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
This is a FANTASTIC topic and a long over due discussion. I'm looking at buying a Pioneer Elite. Has anyone done any input tests on it? I'm a hardcore fighting game player and just about ANY lag would kill the deal for me. I'm using a CRT now, so I want to keep the input lag down as far down to zero as I can.


Hopefully someone will post some results for Elite sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe /forum/post/14320651


This is a FANTASTIC topic and a long over due discussion. I'm looking at buying a Pioneer Elite. Has anyone done any input tests on it? I'm a hardcore fighting game player and just about ANY lag would kill the deal for me. I'm using a CRT now, so I want to keep the input lag down as far down to zero as I can.


Hopefully someone will post some results for Elite sets.

I JUST put in my order for the PDP-5010FD. The input lag with game mode on these sets is ~12ms. This is very low and won't be noticeable at all. Not sure what the new Elites are like, but plasmas in general have excellent input lag results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/14320819


I JUST put in my order for the PDP-5010FD. The input lag with game mode on these sets is ~12ms. This is very low and won't be noticeable at all. Not sure what the new Elites are like, but plasmas in general have excellent input lag results.

Please keep us posted with your results. Do you have a CRT to do a CRT side-by-side plasma test like the above posts? That would be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe /forum/post/14321661


Please keep us posted with your results. Do you have a CRT to do a CRT side-by-side plasma test like the above posts? That would be awesome.

Yah man, for sure. I'll hook up my old CRT monitor that's sitting on the ground, and I'll also do the Rock Band input lag test with the drums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
ok so this is interesting but i have one of the few and last CRT 1080i flat TUBE televisions which samsung made. i got it because it was cheap and i knew that CRT monitors were supposed to have very little lag. however, this television get incrementally more lag depending on the viewing. if it's just regular 480p there is almost no lag. 720 roughly 15-20ms. 1080 is almost pointless to even play games on as the lag is 50-60ms which sucks for any timing game (GH or rockband) and gets you fragged alot in FPS games (halo3). has anyone ever heard of this i thought these were supposed to be fast?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiguy /forum/post/14429208


ok so this is interesting but i have one of the few and last CRT 1080i flat TUBE televisions which samsung made. i got it because it was cheap and i knew that CRT monitors were supposed to have very little lag. however, this television get incrementally more lag depending on the viewing. if it's just regular 480p there is almost no lag. 720 roughly 15-20ms. 1080 is almost pointless to even play games on as the lag is 50-60ms which sucks for any timing game (GH or rockband) and gets you fragged alot in FPS games (halo3). has anyone ever heard of this i thought these were supposed to be fast?

The CRT output itself should be incredibly fast. The problem is likely in the processing for HD signals that the set is doing. If that's slow, it doesn't matter what kind of display is being used for the output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias99 /forum/post/14436556


The CRT output itself should be incredibly fast. The problem is likely in the processing for HD signals that the set is doing. If that's slow, it doesn't matter what kind of display is being used for the output.

well that's what i was afraid of. i figured since it was a crt it wouldn't have as much a problem as the LCD's but apparently not. i was mainly wondering if anyone else had heard of this problem in an HD CRT. very disappointing as i figured i had a good solution to the lag problem but i guess not. tried it on both composite and hdmi same problem. last night tried labeling the input to "GAME" as some samsungs use this to put it into game mode with not effect. still the same 480p no lag, 720 20 ms, and 1080i 60 ms. horrible. i talked to a tv repairman who said it might be helped slightly with a firmware update but at this point i think i just need to start looking into a panasonic plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infil /forum/post/14319053


I thought I would add my two cents here, too.


While this test is far from scientific, and it's an LCD (not a plasma), I found the most recent Sharp Aquos LCD TVs to be completely lagless. I have a Youtube video demonstrating me playing a variety of timing-sensitive games using 480i signals on them. I'm about as sensitive for timing as any gamer I know, so I recommend you check out this particular model. I should note that any console PS2 and newer will work with absolutely 0 ms of lag on this TV (with component cables, even if the game is 480i). I've tried my N64 on it through composites, and there may be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Well I am utterly shocked to see the Kuro has over 40ms of input lag over HDMI. As all of my gaming is over PC, HDMI will be my only input. Thank god I found this thread.


Now I'm pretty paralyzed though. I don't know if Panasonic and Samsung plasmas will have the same issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I'm trying to figure out which LCD tv to buy, and I am lost.


I know that I want 1080p, 120 HZ, and the least amount of input lag. What are my options?
 
41 - 60 of 82 Posts
Top