AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to a new place at the end of this month and want to plan how I want to finish the basement. Here is a list of things I would like to achieve:

1. I want to have a HT/media room (not dedicated) along with a small bar area.

2. I also would like to have two rooms and a bathroom. One of the room will be for our nanny and would like it to be somewhat isolated from the rest of the space. In order to achieve the isolation, one thing I would like is to have the bathroom between the nanny's room and the rest of the space (double entrance) so that the nanny doesn't have to walk through the other space to get to the bathroom. The second room will be used as a guest room.

3. For the bathroom, I would like to have a shower built, toilet and sink.

Some challenges/limitations:

1. I would like to incorporate the fireplace with the HT/bar area ideally.

2. The lowest points in the basement are around 6' 8" and is as a result of duct work that runs east to west between the two nooks. The highest point I measured to be over 7'.

I am very open to suggestions at this point as to where the screen should be, etc. I am posting some quick sketchup drawings for your reference. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the side with the fireplace is already finished as one big open space (currently being used as a rec room). Since I am not looking at a dedicated HT and will be using it for general purpose, not too concerned about sound proofing as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Floor plan:

North wall:

East wall:

South wall:

West wall (area west of the furnace area is finished as a rec room, including a fireplace):

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been looking at your plan for about 30 minutes and am having difficulty thinking of a layout that I would recommend. You have a lot of space available, but that furnace room seems to be in bit of an unfortunate spot.

A couple questions I would have for you initially...

1. Is the plumbing already roughed in to more or less dictate the placement of the washroom / wet bar? Looking at the floorplan, I would guess the little nook on the north side is the ideal location for the wet bar?

2. Are you completely set on having 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and a living area/theater room? I would be tempted to cut down to one bedroom in order to give the basement a more open and inviting layout. If 2 bedrooms aren't required, perhaps an open den/office?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hmmm... Would you want the guest bedroom to also have direct access to the same bathroom? If so, that means access from 3 areas to it. As for the nanny room, i'd put it as far away from the theaer area as possible, with as much stuff between the 2.

Going with this layout:

Going through quadrants from top left, clockwise, i would try:

1 - Top Left quadrant = Guest bedroom

2 - Top Right quadrant = Bar area (by the fireplace)

3 - Bottom Right quadrant = Theater area, with screen on the "bottom" wall

4 - Bottom Left quadrant = Nanny's room

And put the bathoom between the nanny's room and the guest bedroom, with a door opening up into the bar area as well.

ETA: Just realized that would put the breaker panel in the nanny's room

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan /forum/post/18275672

ETA: Just realized that would put the breaker panel in the nanny's room

Not sure of building code where OP is located, but I would guess he'd need to add a window into that bedroom as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Played around with sketchup some more incorporating your input and this is where I am now:

Two rooms won't work due to the window issue so making the room with the breaker a den and will install french doors to the entrance keep it open. Nanny's room is not as isolated as I would have liked but should work.

Do you think the seating perpendicular to the screen should be against the other wall?

Also, the ceiling is not high (7'). Do you think I will be able to get a 120" (16:9) screen or that would be pushing it? Feels like I will be wasting AE4000's capabilities by going with a 16:9 setup - wish the wall was wider

Also, where do you guys think I should place the surround & rear speakers, the sub woofer and more importantly the equipment rack?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Some ideas / thoughts:

* Equipment rack: I'd see about putting it in the boiler room's top right corner, facing "North" or "East" (in the picture). It'll allow you to access the wiring etc easily when you go into the boiler room.

* I'd consider moving the sectional seating. It's far away from the screen now (assuming the screen will be on the "bottom" of the picture), and it's not centered. Turn it 90 degrees clockwise, and have the corner butt up against the corner of the section of the wall that pokes out. That way you can have a little table behind the seats that'll be close the to wall on the right, so people have a place to put down drinks etc. Also, it'll line up the main seats better with the screen, and move 'm in a little closer.

* If you indeed put the screen on the bottom wall, you have a perfect opportunity to create a false wall, which allows you to put your speakers behind the screen. Doing so will buy you more room for a bigger (taller) screen.

I mocked up something for you:

The black rectangles are speaker locations. If you want to do 7.1, i'd look at hanging them from the ceiling a few feet behind the main seating. Alternatively you could put them all the way up against the wall (top of picture).

I would consider doing 2 rows of seating instead of the sectional. But it's not a biggie. There's definitely something more social about a sectional. Alternatively i'd make the section "wider" by adding one seat to the row facing the screen and so that the seats that are not facing the screen are up against the wall, out of the line of sight of the main seating.

Oh, and that little area between the nanny's room and the storage room - i'd leave out one of the walls, and either add it as space to the nanny's room, or to the storage room.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gertjan, those are excellent ideas and appreciate the mockup!

So, you are proposing I go for a AT screen, correct?

Regarding the sectional, yeah, I need to figure out how to maximize seating. I am thinking of getting the sectional custom made so should be able to get 4 seats facing the screen and make the corner piece closer to the wall be sort of an endtable/ottoman, then have the seats not facing the screen come off of that. That will achieve what you are proposing, but will need to lose the full table along wall and settle for just a corner piece.

The little area is actually a closet for the nanny's room (there is an entrance).

I like the equipment rack placement in the boiler room but one big unknown is where the sewage pump will go (the house has a septic system and the basement washroom is below the mainline so need a pump). The sump pump is in the boiler room so may make sense to put the sewage pump there as well. Hopefully can fit that under the stairs and still have the area you pointed for equipment rack available.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankanbg /forum/post/18292184

So, you are proposing I go for a AT screen, correct?

Correct

Quote:
Regarding the sectional, yeah, I need to figure out how to maximize seating. I am thinking of getting the sectional custom made so should be able to get 4 seats facing the screen and make the corner piece closer to the wall be sort of an endtable/ottoman, then have the seats not facing the screen come off of that. That will achieve what you are proposing, but will need to lose the full table along wall and settle for just a corner piece.

If you do that, it's really no longer a sectional. 2 sofas / loveseats and 1 / 2 end tables would do the trick just as well in that case i would think. No customization necessary.

Quote:
The little area is actually a closet for the nanny's room (there is an entrance).

Ah, gotcha

Quote:
I like the equipment rack placement in the boiler room but one big unknown is where the sewage pump will go ... Hopefully can fit that under the stairs and still have the area you pointed for equipment rack available.

Where there's a will, there's a way

Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankanbg /forum/post/18280954

Also, the ceiling is not high (7'). Do you think I will be able to get a 120" (16:9) screen or that would be pushing it? Feels like I will be wasting AE4000's capabilities by going with a 16:9 setup - wish the wall was wider

You can definitely fit a 120" 16:9 screen in your space. Here is a mock up I did on sketchup for my basement. I put a 1' riser and I had a beam coming across the ceiling which I boxed in, also 1'. So the inset where my screen is, is actually only 6' high x 11'6" wide and that is a 120" screen. You could get away with roughly the same screen size if the screen is right up against the ceiling.

Of course, if you do go with the AT screen as mentioned by gertjan, then you'll get away with a 2.35 screen which would be ideal! If you haven't already, have a look at the projector calculator at http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...ulator-pro.htm to figure out the best fit for your wall.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankanbg /forum/post/18317208

gtiguy, how deep is the riser you built?

about 2' 6"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question regarding speaker placement in general. The width of the wall where the screen will go is about 11' 6" as shown below, so if I follow the Audyssey guideline and place the L & R on either end of that screen wall, then the ideal listening position is about 10' in front of the screen. Which means, the screen will have to be smaller.

How closely you guys follow speaker placement guidelines in your builds? From what I can see, it looks like most focus on screen size/throw and place speakers based on available space. What do you guys do to figure out speaker placement? Is there a general rule of thumb you follow??

Also, have any of you successfully used "heights" speakers in a basement build?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankanbg /forum/post/18372167

How closely you guys follow speaker placement guidelines in your builds?

They are guidelines
It's all about compromises and practicality. Since you are not building a formal dedicated setup, you can / will have to fudge a bit.

The recommended placement of your L& R speakers is to have about 45-60 degrees between them:

Your screen as depicted would be about 11 feet wide. That means that if you're sitting in the main listening position, your head should be at most 11' away from the screen, preferably a little closer. You can always give or take a foot or two, it's not going to make THAT big a difference. You can always compensate a little with more or less speaker toe-in for example. And looking at your diagram, it looks like you'd in the ballpark with where your seats would be placed

Now, that's based on the audio part. If you go look up recommended seating distances based on screen size, you'll see that recommendations are to be roughly 1.5 the screen size away. Screen size is expressed as the diagonal. If you do a scope screen, people seem to recommend sitting a little closer than that, more like 1.3 time the screen width.

In either case, you can see how based on the display part only, the recommended / ideal theoretical seating distance would be further away than the distance you'd arrive at if you were to go with the audio recommendation only. The ideal is probably somewhere in-between. And seems to me that your seating distance is close enough to those numbers to be OK. That's just my opinion though

BTW - I would not make your screen be exactly wall-to-wall width, especially on the side where there is an actual wall. You probably want to put stuff up on the wall (wall treatments for audio improvements, print to dress the place up, a sconce or two maybe etc). You want your left speaker to have a little room to breathe as well, and not be right smack up against the wall. So take that into account when deciding on the screen size. So in your case, i'd say maybe leave at least a foot from the wall...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts