AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Me and my wife are going to buy a new hdtv we have a xbr4 46 inch now and going to pass it down too our son and shopping for another i been researching the xbr6 and samsung 950. From what i have read the xbr6 is disappointing with colors being off and sorry blacks.

The 950 with 0led sounds like sweet spot you can get them for $2199 now and they are alot cheaper then the $4000 xbr8 and have gotten great reviews with on point color deep blacks and standerd even looks good on it from what i read cnet.

I will be useing the hdtv i choose for ps3 gaming/360 gaming.blu-ray movies all via hdmi 1.3 cables and direct tv hd.

My hdtv budget is $2500 and you can get both the xbr6 for the same price as the samsung 950 with 0led you can buy both for $2199. Xbr8 is over priced in my book and not looking to spend $4000 on a tv.

qestions

1.how is the gaming on these 2 sets?

2. if you any experiences with ether of these sets?

3. any other input would be helpful?

·
Registered
238 Posts
have had xbr6 and samsung 850 (not 9 series)

Also have xbr4

xbr6 not as bright as the xbr4. the 6 in my opinion has a very dull picture. real accurate looking colors.

samsung 850 very bright very glossy alot of glare. same brightness and pop as xbr 4.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther25 /forum/post/15489863

Hello all

Me and my wife are going to buy a new hdtv we have a xbr4 46 inch now and going to pass it down too our son and shopping for another i been researching the xbr6 and samsung 950. From what i have read the xbr6 is disappointing with colors being off and sorry blacks.

The 950 with 0led sounds like sweet spot you can get them for $2199 now and they are alot cheaper then the $4000 xbr8 and have gotten great reviews with on point color deep blacks and standerd even looks good on it from what i read cnet.

I will be useing the hdtv i choose for ps3 gaming/360 gaming.blu-ray movies all via hdmi 1.3 cables and direct tv hd.

My hdtv budget is $2500 and you can get both the xbr6 for the same price as the samsung 950 with 0led you can buy both for $2199. Xbr8 is over priced in my book and not looking to spend $4000 on a tv.

qestions

1.how is the gaming on these 2 sets?

2. if you any experiences with ether of these sets?

3. any other input would be helpful?

Where can u get the A950 for 2199?

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim100 /forum/post/15490962

have had xbr6 and samsung 850 (not 9 series)

Also have xbr4

xbr6 not as bright as the xbr4. the 6 in my opinion has a very dull picture. real accurate looking colors.

samsung 850 very bright very glossy alot of glare. same brightness and pop as xbr 4.

Dull picture? Please elaborate. Im about to buy this TV on friday for $2000. Every store i go to has it hooked up to a coax & i havent seen HD,Blu-Ray etc yet on this set. It looked pretty good though for normal programming IMO. I was also eyeing the Sam 750 which i can get for $1800. I wanted to give Sony a try since my last 2 sets have been Sammys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as i thought this is what im hearing every were includeing the internet that the xbr4 is a better looking tv then the xbr6 and don't have as many features as the xbr4.

this is what cnet has to say about the xbr6

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33060608.html

The bad: Expensive; some color accuracy issues; black levels fluctuate somewhat in dark scenes; below-average screen uniformity; dejudder modes produce artifacts.

The bottom lineThe bottom line: The 52-inch Sony KDL-52XBR6 LCD is a bit too expensive for the level of picture quality

Despite delivering nearly perfect primary color accuracy in test patterns, in real life the display let us down

Unfortunately, like the Z4100 or the KDL-46W4100 we tested earlier, the XBR6 didn't maintain a constant level of black regardless of the brightness of the program material. The fluctuation in backlight intensity wasn't as noticeable as with the W4100--indeed, we didn't notice it at all during The Happening--but in certain scenes in other films we did see the XBR6's backlit dim and then brighten noticeably afterward. Our favorite test for this issue occurs at the 12:34 mark in I Am Legend, where the camera pushes into the dark bathroom. On both of the Sony sets, the entire screen became dimmer and when brighter, whereas the other displays maintained a constant level of black.

Color accuracy: The Sony performed well in this area, but still not as good as the Samsung A650 or the higher-end displays in our comparison. According to our measurements, the Sony XBR6 delivered very accurate color for the most part, coming extremely close to the D65 standard for grayscale, hitting the HD standard primary and secondary color points almost perfectly and exhibiting accurate color decoding. That's great, and in many colorful areas, the XBR6 delivered the goods, including the blues of Jess' jeans and the red blood dripping down Mrs. Jones' nose. The Sony's deep blacks also helped with saturation, making colors look a bit richer and more vibrant than on the displays with lighter black levels. However, all wasn't perfect.

First off, like many LCDs we've tested, the Sony veered into blue in its darkest areas, tingeing them a bluish color that became especially noticeable in shadows. One example came during the exterior of the farmhouse in Chapter 15, which had a bluish-purplish look to the skies and shadows and a similar cast on the near-black rooftop. Compared with the Samsung A650, however, which tinged those areas greenish, we still preferred the look of the Sony, although the Samsung A950 LCD and the plasmas were better than any of the other LCD at color accuracy in black and near-black areas.

Second and more puzzling, despite the accuracy of our measurements, we noticed that in program material skin tones especially, along with browns and other midtone areas, appeared more yellowish on the Sony LCDs--the XBR6 and the Z4100--than on our reference Pioneer or any of the other displays in the room. During the opening scene with the two girls sitting on the bench in Central Park, for example, their pale skin appeared more yellowish and slightly less flush than on the comparison sets. The same effect was visible in skin tones in other areas of the film, as well as in similar colors such as the light brown walls of the Moores' apartment. We also noticed that green, as in the plants and fields at Mrs. Jones' house, for example, looked more yellow than our reference displays.

Uniformity: Our review sample was a bit below-average in this category. In very dark or black areas we noticed a brighter patch in the upper-left corner of the XBR6, which also showed up in the letterbox bars of 2.35:1 aspect ratio films such as I Am Legend, and in black screens such as the credits or fields of stars. As usual with LCDs, the edges of the screen also appeared slightly brighter than the middle, although the difference was nearly impossible to detect outside of test patterns. When seen from off-angle, the image on the Sony's screen washed out and discolored at about the same rate as the other LCDs aside from the Samsung A950, which was noticeably worse.

Standard-definition: With standard-definition sources, the Sony fell a bit below-average. While it resolved every line of the DVD format, details in the grass and stone bridge appeared softer than we'd like to see. It removed jagged edges from moving diagonal lines and a waving American flag somewhat, although there were still more jaggies than on the other sets in our comparison. Sony's noise reduction is still excellent, cleaning up the noisiest areas of low-quality material almost completely in its strongest NR mode, and offering a great selection of NR settings between to deal with higher-quality material. Finally, like the W4100 and the Z4100, the XBR6 did engage film mode to remove the moire from the bleachers behind the speeding car on the HQV test disc, but it fell out and then back into film mode quickly, thus failing our 2:3 pulldown test. The results for this test were the same in both Auto 1 and Auto 2 CineMotion settings.

............................................................ ..........................................

To much bad for me and i read some were else that the xbr6 don't do true 1080i and 1080p in moving images only steal images. I think i read that at hdguru.

the 950 is what im getting as well the xbr6 seems like it is a step down from xbr4.

Aand to the guy above bestbuy in store has the 950 marked down to $2200 and so does amazon. other places are $2500. Plus you can't compete with the 0led in the 950 for the price when teh xbr8 is $4000 and yes the xbr8 does rank well and im also a sony fan but when it comes to quailty picture and price the 950 will be the tv i will be getting. My good old xbr4 is going to my son.

on cnet they say even in standerd def the 950 looks great no wavy colors or lines. Hdguru named the 950 as king of lcds and cnet compares it's colors and blacks to plasmas.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther25 /forum/post/15492708

Just as i thought this is what im hearing every were includeing the internet that the xbr4 is a better looking tv then the xbr6 and don't have as many features as the xbr4.

this is what cnet has to say about the xbr6

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33060608.html

The bad: Expensive; some color accuracy issues; black levels fluctuate somewhat in dark scenes; below-average screen uniformity; dejudder modes produce artifacts.

The bottom lineThe bottom line: The 52-inch Sony KDL-52XBR6 LCD is a bit too expensive for the level of picture quality

Despite delivering nearly perfect primary color accuracy in test patterns, in real life the display let us down

Unfortunately, like the Z4100 or the KDL-46W4100 we tested earlier, the XBR6 didn't maintain a constant level of black regardless of the brightness of the program material. The fluctuation in backlight intensity wasn't as noticeable as with the W4100--indeed, we didn't notice it at all during The Happening--but in certain scenes in other films we did see the XBR6's backlit dim and then brighten noticeably afterward. Our favorite test for this issue occurs at the 12:34 mark in I Am Legend, where the camera pushes into the dark bathroom. On both of the Sony sets, the entire screen became dimmer and when brighter, whereas the other displays maintained a constant level of black.

Color accuracy: The Sony performed well in this area, but still not as good as the Samsung A650 or the higher-end displays in our comparison. According to our measurements, the Sony XBR6 delivered very accurate color for the most part, coming extremely close to the D65 standard for grayscale, hitting the HD standard primary and secondary color points almost perfectly and exhibiting accurate color decoding. That's great, and in many colorful areas, the XBR6 delivered the goods, including the blues of Jess' jeans and the red blood dripping down Mrs. Jones' nose. The Sony's deep blacks also helped with saturation, making colors look a bit richer and more vibrant than on the displays with lighter black levels. However, all wasn't perfect.

First off, like many LCDs we've tested, the Sony veered into blue in its darkest areas, tingeing them a bluish color that became especially noticeable in shadows. One example came during the exterior of the farmhouse in Chapter 15, which had a bluish-purplish look to the skies and shadows and a similar cast on the near-black rooftop. Compared with the Samsung A650, however, which tinged those areas greenish, we still preferred the look of the Sony, although the Samsung A950 LCD and the plasmas were better than any of the other LCD at color accuracy in black and near-black areas.

Second and more puzzling, despite the accuracy of our measurements, we noticed that in program material skin tones especially, along with browns and other midtone areas, appeared more yellowish on the Sony LCDs--the XBR6 and the Z4100--than on our reference Pioneer or any of the other displays in the room. During the opening scene with the two girls sitting on the bench in Central Park, for example, their pale skin appeared more yellowish and slightly less flush than on the comparison sets. The same effect was visible in skin tones in other areas of the film, as well as in similar colors such as the light brown walls of the Moores' apartment. We also noticed that green, as in the plants and fields at Mrs. Jones' house, for example, looked more yellow than our reference displays.

Uniformity: Our review sample was a bit below-average in this category. In very dark or black areas we noticed a brighter patch in the upper-left corner of the XBR6, which also showed up in the letterbox bars of 2.35:1 aspect ratio films such as I Am Legend, and in black screens such as the credits or fields of stars. As usual with LCDs, the edges of the screen also appeared slightly brighter than the middle, although the difference was nearly impossible to detect outside of test patterns. When seen from off-angle, the image on the Sony's screen washed out and discolored at about the same rate as the other LCDs aside from the Samsung A950, which was noticeably worse.

Standard-definition: With standard-definition sources, the Sony fell a bit below-average. While it resolved every line of the DVD format, details in the grass and stone bridge appeared softer than we'd like to see. It removed jagged edges from moving diagonal lines and a waving American flag somewhat, although there were still more jaggies than on the other sets in our comparison. Sony's noise reduction is still excellent, cleaning up the noisiest areas of low-quality material almost completely in its strongest NR mode, and offering a great selection of NR settings between to deal with higher-quality material. Finally, like the W4100 and the Z4100, the XBR6 did engage film mode to remove the moire from the bleachers behind the speeding car on the HQV test disc, but it fell out and then back into film mode quickly, thus failing our 2:3 pulldown test. The results for this test were the same in both Auto 1 and Auto 2 CineMotion settings.

............................................................ ..........................................

To much bad for me and i read some were else that the xbr6 don't do true 1080i and 1080p in moving images only steal images. I think i read that at hdguru.

the 950 is what im getting as well the xbr6 seems like it is a step down from xbr4.

Aand to the guy above bestbuy in store has the 950 marked down to $2200 and so does amazon. other places are $2500. Plus you can't compete with the 0led in the 950 for the price when teh xbr8 is $4000 and yes the xbr8 does rank well and im also a sony fan but when it comes to quailty picture and price the 950 will be the tv i will be getting. My good old xbr4 is going to my son.

on cnet they say even in standerd def the 950 looks great no wavy colors or lines. Hdguru named the 950 as king of lcds and cnet compares it's colors and blacks to plasmas.

I see http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A9...393131&sr=8-1#

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215819880072

i would love it for 2100 but i dont see that anywhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN /forum/post/15492795

950. Make sure it is the version though, I think cnet mentioned something about it in their review that the ones dated after Oct are better.

Here it is.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10066772-1.html

yep i know about that the ones in best buy are december and january

and tot he guy above guy to yoru local best buy you can't get the deals online from their website also amazon has them too if they don't any more for $2100 they will have again you just got to catch the specials and deals.

google is your friend lol and so is local stores.

............................................................ ......

sony has been stripping away features that the xbr4 had every since the xbr5 and xbr6 i don't know whats up with that their doing the same thing with their ps3s i guess to cut cost. but yes the 950 and xbr8 is whats competeing but im not throwing down $4000 when the 950 has 0led as well and is on par. The 850 looks better then the xbr6 as well.

here is cnets best tvs list i don't care for plasma cause of burn in but the kuro is a beast for sure

1. Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD - PLASMA

2. Panasonic 50PZ800U - PLASMA

3. Pioneer 5020FD - PLASMA

4. Samsung 46A950 - LCD

5. Panasonic 50PZ850U - PLASMA

6. Sony 54XBR6 - LCD

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I kinda doubt you can get it for $2100. Maybe from some fly-by-night online place that'll try to bait-and-switch or shove expensive 'add-ons' down your throat, but anyone legit? Doubt it.

Maybe when the 2009 models start to ship, it could happen on closeout somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15492845

I kinda doubt you can get it for $2100. Maybe from some fly-by-night online place that'll try to bait-and-switch or shove expensive 'add-ons' down your throat, but anyone legit? Doubt it.

Maybe when the 2009 models start to ship, it could happen on closeout somewhere.

no lie their running a special in best buy right now a950 and free blu-ray player for $2100 no joke and amazon had them for $2200 last night. the averge cost is $2500 to $2600 but alot of places are running speicals i don't spread lies.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther25 /forum/post/15492826

yep i know about that the ones in best buy are december and january

and tot he guy above guy to yoru local best buy you can't get the deals online from their website also amazon has them too if they don't any more for $2100 they will have again you just got to catch the specials and deals.

google is your friend lol and so is local stores.

............................................................ ......

sony has been stripping away features that the xbr4 had every since the xbr5 and xbr6 i don't know whats up with that their doing the same thing with their ps3s i guess to cut cost. but yes the 950 and xbr8 is whats competeing but im not throwing down $4000 when the 950 has 0led as well and is on par. The 850 looks better then the xbr6 as well.

here is cnets best tvs list i don't care for plasma cause of burn in but the kuro is a beast for sure

1. Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD - PLASMA

2. Panasonic 50PZ800U - PLASMA

3. Pioneer 5020FD - PLASMA

4. Samsung 46A950 - LCD

5. Panasonic 50PZ850U - PLASMA

6. Sony 54XBR6 - LCD

Why do you keep saying Samsung has OLED? They don't. I believe you are confusing technologies (OLED and LED backlighting)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther25 /forum/post/15492875

no lie their running a special in best buy right now a950 and free blu-ray player for $2100 no joke and amazon had them for $2200 last night. the averge cost is $2500 to $2600 but alot of places are running speicals i don't spread lies.

Just went to check at Amazon, and it's $2675 there.

Just went to check at Best Buy, and they say $2999.

Not saying you're not legit, but I see zero evidence of what you're sayin'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15492891

Just went to check at Amazon, and it's $2675 there.

Just went to check at Best Buy, and they say $2999.

Not saying you're not legit, but I see zero evidence of what you're sayin'.

it's instore only they always have their prices jacked up on their website and amazon was running a special last night. I tell you what when i go pick my 950 up from best buy ill take my digtal cam with me and take pictures of the special and post them here

1 - 15 of 15 Posts