AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Been a long time lurker, but new member. Looking for a little advice before purchasing a new setup. While I was still in college, I purchased a Yamaha RX-V363 and an inexpensive set of Insignia 5.1 speakers. They have served me pretty well for the last 4 years, but am in a position to get a descent setup.

My desires:

Roughly a $3,000 budget, but am a little flexible.

A real need for flexibility as I will be moving soon. As such, current room size is irrelevant.

I have a tendency to retain large purchases for a long time. Hoping to purchase something that can grow with me over the next 10 years or so.

I greatly prefer detail and accuracy over volume.

Mix of content is roughly 50% movies, 40% music, and 10% TV content.

Here is what I am considering for a 7.1 setup:

LR - Polk RTi-A9

Center - Polk CSi-A6

Side and Rear surround - FXi-A6

Sub - Either HSU VTF-15H or Epik Empire

Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3020 or 3010

I have done a fair amount of auditioning, and have found the A9's to be the best within my budget as I am able to Polk products at a steep discount. Originally, I was going to get a pair of JBL-L890's, because I like how they sounded a lot more. But, I am no longer able to purchase those. I have been unable to find another set of mains in the $500 price range that could compare with the A9's. Also, would150w from the receiver be enough to really drive these? The 3010 and 3020 both have the capability to assign two of the speaker terminals to bi-amp the mains. Not sure if it would make it worthwhile, but would the 300w be capable? Anyone have any alternative suggestions?

In regards to subs, all of my research has driven me to these. However, living in Louisiana severely limits what I have access to for auditions and there are no local dealers. I have been unable to find subwoofer suggested pairings with the A9's. Both of these are more than I was expecting to spend, but found it difficult to find anything good for less. The 7 year warranty on the HSU really has my interest, even though it is $100 more than the Epic. Even though I listen to more movies, I am more concerned with music performance and like very tight bass. Anyone have any suggestions on these two, or others?

I had the 3010 on my shopping list here recently, until the 3020 was released. Depending on the price difference when I purchase, I liked the option of 4k pass through. Again not sure if it would lead to a performance difference, but having a 9 channel amplifier provided the option to drive with mains with the two unused channels from a 7.1 setup.

Any input and or suggestions are welcome and thank you for your time.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
That looks good to me. Personally I would go for some bookshelf speakers over bipole type designs for the surrounds, however bipoles are easier to mount. I think bookshelf speakers would be cheaper and sound better though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what research I have been able to gather, bi/di-poles typically perform better as side and rear surrounds. If you have the room to have your seating position sufficiently spaced from the surround speakers, book shelf speakers may be better though. Without knowing what space arrangement may be in the future, I felt that the fxi speakers provided the best flexibility. Anyone have contrary experience with this, such as using book shelf speakers as part or all of the surround speakers?

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with receivers that have programmable amp terminals? Since I can set a total of 4 amp connections to drive my main towers, would I see any benefit from this with power hungry speakers like the A9's? Or would I be better served by using the other two channels for front high presence speakers in a 9.1 configuration?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts