AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowing sorting through the masses of HT information in my brain and coming to a equipment solution that will work in my home. A significant breakthrough was made today when I started thinking of where to put the projector and screen.... run the projector BEHIND the screen.

I have an office that extends off of my living room and I thought that the opening between the living room and office would be a great place to put a screen. If I place the projector in the office and project onto the back of a screen I can view the display from the living room side and the projector is not visible at all.

LIVING ROOM (VIEWING) >>-----> SCREEN

·
Registered
835 Posts
Quick answers:

1. Yes, almost all projectors should have this capability (unless you pick up a very old used one, but even then it should have it)

2. No particular technology is better suited for rear-projection. The same advantages and disadvantages generally hold for rear-projection.

3. Yes that's probably true, it's not as much of a problem. You probably still want to have some black felt or something for the borders to absorb it, but it is not as necessary.

4. You probably want a flexible rear-projection screen if you need to roll it up. I wouldn't recommend a pull-down (look for an electrical instead), especially for rear-projection. I don't think they are as tough as a front-projection screen because they have to be semi-transparent. A good 1.3 gain flexible rear-projection screen should serve you well. Stewart Filmscreen also has a new tinted rear-projection screen call the Filmscreen 100 that provides advantages similar to the Greyhawk, although Stewart will be the most expensive.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was concerned that nobody would make a rollup screen. That Filmscreen100 looks like it will do the trick!

One more question came to mind:

Since the viewing area is exactly opposite the projector, will I have an issue of seeing the bright light of the projector lens? How can I avoid that?

- JP

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sony VPL-CX1, VPL-CS1-2 does not support ceiling nor rear PJ. It's not that old of a PJ though it is a budget PJ ($1500 for XGA LCD 550 lumens)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wow... I'm a little surprised. It's not a very difficult software manipulation, I don't know why they didn't just throw it in... Anyways, there's an answer from someone much more familiar with a wide range of projectors.

You shouldn't see the bright light from the lens, not if you have a good rear-projection screen. It's supposed to diffuse the light from the lens of the projector.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Premium Member
24,501 Posts
There is still an issue with light control in the projector room. Rear screens reflect a fair amount of light off the back, and if the walls are light colored, it will be transmitted through the screen and increase black levels (reduce contrast). And because rear screens transmit light, light from the viewing room can pass through the screen and have the same effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.