AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback here. I've recently purchased another home and will be building another theater... The room is already "built". I'll try to explain it as best I can here. The room is on the 2nd floor over a 3 car garage. The floor space of the room is 20'6" wide (across the screen wall) and 19'4" long (from the entry to the screen wall) with a max ceiling height of 11 feet. There is a hip roof that angles in 3 of the walls. The 2 side walls begin a 45 degree slope to the ceiling at about 5 feet high. The screen wall begins a 45 degree slope to the ceiling at about 3 feet high. Now, the angled walls are perfect for the pyramid I plan on turning the room into, but I lose space in the room because of them. The side walls are no issue at all. It's the screen wall that is forcing some issues and decisions. If I leave the screen wall where it is set up for now, using the riser calculator dimensions (my riser is set at 13 inches because of how the entry comes into the room), I lose about 46 inches of depth in the room because of the screen and where it needs to be placed. Which puts the first row of seating about 10 feet from a 120" screen and the second row at 15.5 feet away. The measurements using the calculator are as follows:

Bottom of screen to the floor: 28 inches

Top of screen height: 87 inches

Floor space (depth) lost to the screen and wall angle: 46 inches

Riser depth (to accomodate a couch): 5.5 feet

Distance from screen to first row seated eyes: 10 feet

Is this too close to a 120 inch screen from the first row? I will be utilizing a 1080p projector.

·
Registered
412 Posts
yes at the numbers you mention. Those are the exact number I am at right now with my setup. My room is much smaller than your, but the end result is still 10' and 15ft viewing distance from the screen. My current screen is 118 using the Mitsubishi HC4900 1080p projector. Seating in the front row, I can notice the size. From the back row, it's perfect. So why do I still have the size, cause the front row really don't get use unless we have guess over. Eventually I will be downsizing it to a more comfortable size for both rows. During my testing, I found the size between 102 to 108 more pleasing with the smaller size more desirable for the front row.

So another way to answer your question is it really depends.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys... I'm gonna try sitting at 8.5 feet on my current screen/pj and see how that works out... I currently have a 106" screen but I only run 720p right now, so it wont be apples to apples, but I should get an idea...

·
Registered
3 Posts
You must stick with the riser height calculations. If you are overly concerned about losing floor space one option may be to go with a smaller screen as sugested earlier. Bring some chairs into the room for a dry run and see what it feels like.

Congrats on the new crib.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts