AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my DirecTV receiver connected to the VSX-32 receivers HDMI-1 input terminal. Currently, to select the satellite as the source for the receiver I am using the HDMI input function button on the VSX-32 receiver remote. This is confusing to the wife, she would like to press the "TV" button to watch television via the satellite. Is there a way to "reassign" the "TV" input function button on the receiver remote to switch to the HDMI-1 terminal? Currently, it seems this button is set by default to the TV/SAT analog inputs on the back of the receiver. I see a chart in the manual that seems to indicate this can be done but I have been unable to figure it out. If it makes a difference, I do have the Control with HDMI function set to on as I am utilizing that feature, perhaps that is part of my problem with making the change.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You're right, hdmi control IS the issue. Once it's turned off, you'll be able to go to the receiver's Input Setup and assign TV/SAT to whatever input you wish -- in your case, that's HDMI 1.

The HDMI-CEC "standard" sucks that way; but, believe it or not, it's currently functioning the way it's supposed to. The reason is that it's expecting the input change to be sent from the TV or sat box via hdmi control signals -- not the receiver remote.

IMO, the main problem with HDMI-CEC is that it comes with more cons than pros. You may gain on-screen volume display, but you give up the ability to customize inputs the way most people want them...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and I agree with your comments. Component flexibility/features and component price point just never seem to match my budget! I did make the change and it worked as described of course. But among other things, turning off control with HDMI did cause me to lose the audio return through the HDMI cable which is a function I use with the Panasonic VieraCast. So, choosing the lesser of two evils (ARC vs connecting a digital audio out from the TV) I think it will be easiest for my wife to just learn to select HDMI-1 when wanting to watch the satellite/VieraCast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.