Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

Sunday night all the inputs died on my unhacked, refurb-replacement 3030! Yes, it is protected by a ups and yes we had a brown-out that day. Everything was working perfectly Saturday and then Sunday I went to setup recordings and all that was visible was a black screen and the unit would not respond to the remote. I did a soft reboot and got to the please wait screen. Then the replay screen came up and the unit was functioning normally except no inputs work. By this I mean that the unit has the guide data and all my saved shows and will play them with no problem but nothing comes in from the coax, input 1, input rca and input 2 s-video. I tried the coax connection on my Showstopper and it works perfectly so it isn't the cable or cable box. I tried hooking up a vcr playing a tape and got nothing either. I searched the forums and the faq and found a few people with the same problem. The advice was to pull the plug to try to reset a stuck mpeg chip and/or 777-zones. I pulled the plug Sunday night and gave it overnight. Monday, the inputs are all still dead. I have a bunch of shows to offload so I cannot 777-zones right now. I am about to call SonicBlue to see what I can do about repair. I guess I should also mention that before the black screen I had DISABLE DISK SPINDOWN enabled in the clawfoot portal to control the Replay and the Showstopper in the same room. After the initial soft reboot that command was NOT enabled in the clawfoot portal anymore. The unit also has plenty of headroom and is not in a closed cabinet so heat shouldn't be a problem either. This machine was used for conflicts and my Dad got that panicked look and said, "Don't we have another one?" I said, "Yeah, THAT'S mine!" LOL I think I need to look for some backups on Ebay...

-Ed

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It's not the response you wanna hear, but your best bet is the 777-RESET. So you have a choice, lose the shows that you have already recorded or lose the ones that are about to record.

I've been there, so I feel your pain.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I have no reason to think this will work other than a hunch. How about if you change setup settings to something other I.E. phone #, zipcode, cable box, every option in setup and let replay dial in and make changes to the bogus info. Now do this all over again this time with the correct information. As with the "new phone numbers available" message the replay sometimes won't download fresh data unless it recognizes a change in venue. If you try this let us know if it worked.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
I have no reason to think this will work other than a hunch. How about if you change setup settings to something other I.E. phone #, zipcode, cable box, every option in setup and let replay dial in and make changes to the bogus info. Now do this all over again this time with the correct information. As with the "new phone numbers available" message the replay sometimes won't download fresh data unless it recognizes a change in venue. If you try this let us know if it worked.
This solution worked for me once when I also lost an input.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no go.

I did try to just change info to force a new setup on a different input but it didn't work.

Actually, now the modem keeps hanging up!

Last night I did 777-zones. I started to do the setup and part way through, the modem disconnected. I tried it 4 more times and the modem disconnected at different places each time. It almost got through it a couple of times but always disconnects. I tried resetting the modem again by pulling the plug and still no good. I also have a showstopper sharing that line and it dials in just fine. In fact after the inputs died I noticed that the unit would try to do the daily download but only connect and fail partway through. Something is really screwed up here. I think I am going to have to RMA. DAMN!!!

-Ed

·
Registered
58 Posts
LincolnNavigator,

It appears that we are almost in the same boat. My Replay stopped recognizing inputs suddenly Saturday night, after a brown out then a very brief power loss. The brown out shouldn't have made a difference because it's on a UPS, but there was a message about the power loss, so the UPS may not have been protecting it from the brown out either. Mine is also unhacked (hardware, anyway), and I had disk spindown disabled too. It's not a Showstopper, but a ReplayTV brand unit. As far as I know, my modem is still working, so that's different. I had been getting the "new phone number" message the past few days, had checked it and changed to a different one.

I've finished my marathon downloading session of the most important stuff. There are still a few things left, which I'm also going to download if it comes to doing 777-Zones.

Mine did not automatically reset itself to enabling disk spindown.

Mikeyboy suggested I check out this thread, and try the forced dial-in.

This is what has happened so far:

When I was testing all of its inputs, I had to reset co-ax to try it (I don't usually use that one), so it had already forced a connection. Since I couldn't get any input on co-ax either, with direct cable, I reset it back to "nothing" and it connected again. My standard inputs are cable box to Line 2, DVD player to Line 1.

More tests tonight: First, since KenL specified that I have to be sure the disk spins down before unplugging for a cold boot, I tried to reset it to enable disk spindown. It acknowledged the command, but still didn't spin down the disk when I put it in standby mode (the "power" button).

So I tried holding down the power button until it rebooted that way. Shows still intact, and now disk spindown is working again.

I did the cold reboot. Shows are still there, and input's still not recognized.

Changed phone number back the old one, and forced connection again by telling it there was an antenna connected through co-ax. Still no input.

I have a bizarre and paranoid idea. Since we both had brown-outs just before the failure -- could it be that something was failing (short-circuiting, perhaps) within the machine that was bad enough to affect power throughout the rest of the house circuit? There were no storms or anything going on here Saturday to account for the power fluctuations, and since Replay lost its inputs, the lights have been stable again.

I wonder if having had disk spindown disabled had anything to do with it?

Looks like my next step is to finish downloading the stuff I don't care about as much before trying a 777-Zone reset, although since that didn't work for you, I have less hope for it than I did before.

My machine is out of warranty now, so if I have to get it fixed, I'll just have to pay for it.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'm sorry the change of venue didn't work for you.

Quite frankly I'm disappointed but your disappointment runs deeper I'm sure.

Unless lightning struck the replay it should still be a software problem.

If the 777 zones doesn't take care of the problem then a new disk image is the next course of action. I can help you with that.

I still hold out hope that 777 zones will fix the problem. This may prove to be an enlightening event. Up to now I am of the opinion that if the replay boots the operating system is good. If we get to the point that the disk image fixes such problems that will be a revelation.

Best of luck and don't give up!! Email me if you need a disk image. [email protected]

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amethyst Dancer
Mine did not automatically reset itself to enabling disk spindown.

...I tried to reset it to enable disk spindown. It acknowledged the command, but still didn't spin down the disk when I put it in standby mode (the "power" button).

So I tried holding down the power button until it rebooted that way. Shows still intact, and now disk spindown is working again.
Amethyst Dancer I like to hold out some hope that the software restore may once again find your inputs but like you said the brownout could have caused more damage. I think your experience of trying to exorcise your unit of the "disable disk spindown" is normal... it seems to me it doesn't reset that state until after the next reboot of the os so it makes it kind of hard to spin down disks after you once set it. Must first go through at least a "yank" and "pray" or a "push" "hold" and "pray" episode. I really don't like "disable disk spindown" after I had a bad experience with it. But unless your unit might have been "off" and spinning/writing at the time of the brownout I don't think disable disk spindown was the factor. I think you are correct to suspect the brownout but then there is also the mystery that they originally sent you some other unit after the first DOA auction(?) item I hope your investment was minimal but maybe your wounded Replay "PLAYER" can be resurrected to full PVR status. :rolleyes: Best of Luck!

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you ever have to restore factory settings... if you REALLY wanted to keep your shows... couldnt you dump them off to another HD using the hack program... then do factory reset, then upload the shows back?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mikeyboy - you're right, I am extremely disappointed. But I haven't entirely given up yet. There was no lightning; weather here was very nice Saturday. As for a new disk image, I don't entirely understand -- sort of like reformatting, I guess? In any case, I'm not going to worry about it too much until I've tried 777. It is good to know that there's something else to try, though.

Hopefully we will get some useful info out of this.

KenL - If I recall correctly, it wasn't recording or playing when the power was getting flaky. I believe it was "off".

I don't think it's such a mystery that they sent me another unit. Yes, I bought the original one through eBay auction. It was a good bargain, but not unbelievably so. The unit was sold as "new" but without box. When I found it was dead, I started asking questions. The seller told me he had never had it hooked up at all. He's a photographer who bought it for a photo shoot. That's why it wasn't in the box. The Replay people confirmed it had never connected to their system, so it was still under warranty. I sent it back, and they sent me another one. The new one has been working very well for 5 months now. So I have no complaints.

DjPiLL - Perhaps I could, if I had another hard drive handy to dump them to. I've been planning on upgrading to a larger disk, but hadn't done anything about it yet. Nor have I broken the seal on it yet, and now might not be the best time to, in case I have to get it repaired.

I was planning on downloading the remaining shows to tape anyway. Just not Now.

Thanks to all of you! I would be SO lost without this forum! Will let you know how the next test goes. Probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amethyst Dancer,

Sorry to hear of your woes! As I think I said, 777-zones worked on the inputs but the modem seemed to be screwed up beyond repair. After the 777-zones I got to the setup screen and it kept trying to dial into the 800 number to download my areas phone numbers and stuff. It would connect and then loose the connection 90% of the way through. It did this consistently 5 times. Then I let it dial with a phone off the hook to hear the progress. It went through the whole thing that way and finished. I was then able to see that the 777-zones reset had fixed the inputs - they were all working again! However the modem would not connect to the local numbers at all. Oh well. I RMA'd it last week.

Before I did the 777-zones the disable disk spindown could be entered in the box but after exiting and coming back, it would be gone. After the 777-zones, disable disk spindown stayed put and worked. Something bad happened to the software and the 777-zones electro shock treatment seems to have cleared up at least the software stuff.

I can't say whether the brown out did it or not. I mean I have it plugged into a UPS which is plugged into a strip so you would think that would be enough! I have no idea. Perhaps it might be a case of something weak and working looking for an excuse to fail?

I wish you the best of luck!

-Ed

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amethyst Dancer
I don't think it's such a mystery that they sent me another unit. Yes, I bought the original one through eBay auction. It was a good bargain, but not unbelievably so.
Amethyst Dancer all I meant by the "great mystery" was just the "mileage" and "repair" history of the unit they replaced with. (just that we don't know what this unit has been through before you got it.) I'm glad you got a bargain and I haven't given up yet until you've tried again with proven good software. Even if it does turn out to be only a player now maybe you could get another bargain? They really are hard to live without! :D :D :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
KenL - True enough. I obviously misinterpreted your "mystery". :) I can solve a little bit of it, though. I used the special code to see its system information, and it was made in April this year. I got it in June, so it can't have too much mileage on it.

You're right, I certainly couldn't imagine life without it any more! If this one turns out irreparable, I'll just have to get another one.

LincolnNavigator - Thank you! I must've missed it if you posted that your input had come back. I have a lot more hope now!

·
Registered
58 Posts
IT WORKS! :D

After I finished downloading everything I wanted to save, 777-Replay Zones did the trick. It took about 10 minutes total, from starting the reset to being ready to record.

I discovered, though, that my recent results before this may not have been right. After I did all that major input testing, I had forgotten to reconnect the cable box to Line 1. :eek: (I had those backwards in previous posts; cable box on line 1, DVD on line 2.) So there is a chance it had started working before I did the total reset. I doubt it though, because it was also starting to act flaky in other ways.

Now all I have to do is reprogram it, and everything will be back to normal! Thank you thank you!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did I doubt we could resurrect it? Well, having had one that was un-resurrectable, there's always going to be some doubt. But I felt a lot better when you and Mikeyboy had so many things for me to try!

I think I'll hang around more now; the new board hasn't been conflicting with my computer like the old one did. And I see that I've finally shed that "new member" status -- about time!

:cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 2 ShowStoppers -- (1) 20 hr unaltered, (1) 80 hr upgraded.

The 80 hr coax input died. I cleared the shows (took forever). 777-zones, restore factory defaults. --> STILL DEAD. RCA inputs work fine. So, it's my Digital Cable/RCA box.

The 20 hr coax input used to work. I used it as a backup with the Digital Cable/RCA inputs while I cleared the 80 hr. Now, as I try to transition it back to the split analog cable signal on coax, it has decided not to work.

I've cleared the program guide by reconfiguring to no inputs, then reset the inputs -- still nothing. I have not 777-zones this unit, but it didn't do anything for the upgraded unit.

Suspicion/hypothesis: I have to believe this is somehow related to use of the IR blaster and custom cable box setup (I have a Motorola (code 4476 custom)).

Any thoughts on how to correct the 80 hr box since 777-zones did not work?

And, any thoughts on the 20 hr unupgraded?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KingAdRock,

I hate to say this but if 777-zones does not work there isn't much you can do aside from repair. We tend to think the MPEG encoder chip gets "stuck" in a particular state and the total reset clears it somehow but that's when ALL inputs die suddenly and the unit will playback recorded shows fine. If your RCA inputs are still working it is very possible that the analog tuner built onto the motherboard has blown. You might try 777-zones again and also try unplugging the unit for a while (say overnight) and plugging it back in for a hard reboot. You should also test the coax inputs with a straight cable feed or some known good source just to make sure it isn't the cable boxes (I did have a bad Motorola cable box a while back).

You did not mention if all the inputs are dead on the 20 hour unit. I would try 777-zones on that one too.

Also, I have 4 Showstoppers and one Replay all using the 4476 custom codes and they have been fine for a long time. I wish I could be of more help.

-Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.