AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might get the TV this weekend from Costco and I the difference in between the Costco and pz80u is that the Costco version ads a d-sub port. My question is what is the best was to connect my source without using the front HDMI(looks ugly)

1)I will have my pc connected by HDMI for blue-ray viewing

2)Xbox 360, not sure whether to use component, VGA, or hdmi. I can use any one of them and I know Panasonic doesn't accept 1080p over component so I am not sure if I will see a difference between 1080p and 1080i for games. Also I do not know what is the maximum resolution of the VGA port on the Panasonic

3)Comcast hd cable box, I haven't received it yet but I think it will have HDMI and component so I don't know if there is an advantage to using the HDMI port since broadcasts are in 1080i anyway.

Basically I want to use the configuration to maximize PQ using the connections that I have.

·
Registered
673 Posts
there is still HDMI inputs on the back of the TV, the costco version does not have a Front HDMI input, thats the regular version

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15571207

there is still HDMI inputs on the back of the TV, the costco version does not have a Front HDMI input, thats the regular version

the front hdmi is irrelevant since I will not be using it but Panasonic does show on their website that there is a front hdmi port, and 2 on the back

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

JACKS .

Integrated ATSC Tuner Yes

SD Memory Card Slot (SDHC Compatible) Yes

HDMI Input 3 (1 front)

Analog Audio Input ( for HDMI) Yes

Composite Video Input 2 (1 front)

S-Video Input 2 (1 front)

Audio Input (for Video) 2 (1 front)

PC Input Mini D-sub 15-pin x 1 (rear)

Audio Input (for PC) Stereo M3 ( 3.5 mm) Jack

Component Video Inputs (Y, PB, PR) 2

Audio Input (for Component Video) 2

RS232C No

Composite Video Output 1

Analog Audio Output 1

Digital Audio Output 1

·
Registered
30 Posts
personally I think I would use 1 HDMI for the PC, 1 HDMI for the xbox and use component for cable, unless you watch more cable than xbox, simply because cable will be 1080i and 720p anyways.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsea /forum/post/15571844

personally I think I would use 1 HDMI for the PC, 1 HDMI for the xbox and use component for cable, unless you watch more cable than xbox, simply because cable will be 1080i and 720p anyways.

Thank You, logically I think it's the best way...I just wasn't sure if maybe either the comcast box or xbox actually differ in picture quality when using component versus hdmi

·
Registered
498 Posts
Comcast may solve the connection problem for you. They have a couple different HD boxes, some with HDMI and some just component. I have one of each and don't notice a difference between the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
was going to go with a 85u model,

but since coscto has the Th-50PZ80U for $ 1199 why not,

is the 2 plasma that much differnt,

beside the Native Contrast Ratio being 20: to 30: to 1,

Thanks,

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_lover /forum/post/15575729

was going to go with a 85u model,

but since coscto has the Th-50PZ80U for $ 1199 why not,

is the 2 plasma that much differnt,

beside the Native Contrast Ratio being 20: to 30: to 1,

Thanks,

the contrast ration is only 30k when a certain feature is turned on(don't remember the name) but everyone reccomends that it stay off anyway

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/15570257

I might get the TV this weekend from Costco and I the difference in between the Costco and pz80u is that the Costco version ads a d-sub port. My question is what is the best was to connect my source without using the front HDMI(looks ugly)

1) I will have my pc connected by HDMI for blue-ray viewing

There is an incompatibility issue with some PC Video Cards when using the rear HDMI inputs on the Panasonics. At first people thought their TV was defective, but it turns out that not all PC Video Cards are compatible with the rear inputs. If your card is one that is not compatible, you can make it work by using a simple inexpensive HDMI Extender as others have.

Here's the thread about the issue with the solutions a few pages in:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13247381

·
Registered
190 Posts
The New 50" Vizio has 4 hdmi inputs, 2 on the back, and 2 on the side. I am torn whether I should get the Vizio, or the Panasonic. Any reasons to pick the Panasonic with fewer HDMI jacks?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 /forum/post/15596260

The New 50" Vizio has 4 hdmi inputs, 2 on the back, and 2 on the side. I am torn whether I should get the Vizio, or the Panasonic. Any reasons to pick the Panasonic with fewer HDMI jacks?

Not sure about the Vizio but the Panasonic gets consistently great reviews in regards to picture quality, also the Samsung plasmas are very good but a little more pricey and off course the Pioneers. The Vizio might be a great tv also, I just don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts