Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DylanRare:
I heard that you cannot use UTV's inputs as a pass-through, so what are they for?

e-mail.......

------------------

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)

RCA UTV, Hughes 2 E25 and 1 Hughes E11

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey140:
e-mail.......

Could you be more specific? I don't see how an S-Video cable has anything directly to do with email. Maybe it's for equipment not yet released or developed? Like video-conferencing, for example... I think the manual should mention that these inputs are not for normal use. I'll bet lots of folks have been confused by them. I know I was at first.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think he meant that he emailed you some information. Please post it here for all to consume...

------------------

Brett

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No, by E-Mail he meant that it was for use with Web/MSNTV E-mail. You can use it to insert still shots from a camcorder or digital camera to send to grandma, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfischer:
No, by E-Mail he meant that it was for use with Web/MSNTV E-mail. You can use it to insert still shots from a camcorder or digital camera to send to grandma, etc.
Interesting.. I wonder how many people are actuall utilizing these features on their UTV box. I would think most people who are that tech-savvy are doing these types of things with their personal computers. Maybe the money spent on this technology should have been spent on a faster processor. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ah, I see. I haven't seen this mentioned here before. Is this a current feature?

------------------

Brett

[This message has been edited by BrettStah (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can someone tell us what the inputs on the back of the UTV unit are for? They are barely referred to in any documentation. It's a tease to see an S-Video input when my television set has only one S-Video input, and that is taken up by UTV itself. I am forced to use normal composite video for my DVD player. I heard that you cannot use UTV's inputs as a pass-through, so what are they for?

-Dylan.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think some folks are missing the point... UltimateTV® service is developed by WebTV Networks, Inc. It's design is based on it's business model around WebTV and to promote it's usage. As new webtv features become available along with interactive tv, simple internet activity and email services then in this case UTV is can be very attractive for some. In addition UTV will most likely improve dvr functionality. How well UltimateTV will do depends on consumer acceptance and desire for these features will determine it's success. I think they have their work cut out for them but I also see a very viable market for these services. How much remains to be seen.

If these features are of little or no interest to you then UTV is not likely to be your best choice as a PVR now or in the immediate future.

One should consider all the features and then determine what suits their specific needs.

Grem...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:

If these features are of little or no interest to you then UTV is not likely to be your best choice as a PVR now or in the immediate future.

One should consider all the features and then determine what suits their specific needs.
I chose UTV over TiVo because of its PVR features over those of TiVo's. That, and MS' ad campaign won me over. I have been reading over and over again that if I have no interest in WebTV technology, then UTV might not be for me. Maybe if the UTV unit had an RJ-45 jack so that I could plug it directly into my router and share the DSL connection with the rest of my home computer network, I'd be more compelled to use the WebTV part of UTV. But as it stands now, I balk at the use of a 56k modem when I could simply saunter over to my computer in the next room and look something up. I am, however, interested in checking out the interactive features of UTV. Haven't tried that yet.

Anyway I guess this discussion has turned more into a general PVR philosophy one. I guess I'll contribute that I really don't understand the market viability of WebTV. The internet is so huge these days, and so many people have personal computers, and prices of PCs are so low that I don't understand why someone would want internet access on their TV. Maybe I just don't relate to ma and pa from Nebraska and MS does. Well, this could turn into a holy war so perhaps we should just drop the subject http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

However, (getting back to the original subject) I still think the manual should indicate what those inputs were originally intended for instead of leaving it ambiguous to the user. I still stand by that point. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.