AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inside Walt Disney's Home Theater

By Jason Knott
Perhaps this 1930's era home theater was Walt's own happiest place on earth.

Walt Disney's old home in Los Angeles is up for sale and it gives us an interesting glimpse of his private home theater.

The four-bedroom, five-bath, 6,388-square-foot Los Feliz-area home is being sold by Sotheby's for $3.65 million. Inside the 12-room chateau-style house, Disney converted a guest room, bath and library into a home theater to watch dailies and enjoy private screenings of his films and other classic movies.

There is not much detail about the equipment in the home theater. According to the LA Times, the room was originally a family room, but when Disney began creating live-action films vs. just animated movies, he decided he needed an area to view the dailies, so the room was converted.

The projector was a 35mm commercial-grade unit built back in the era. There still is a built-in 4x3 aspect ratio film screen encased in a wood wall at one end of the room. There is a clearly a large horizontal center channel in-wall speaker above the screen.

In the other end of the home theater, Disney had a small separate projection booth constructed. The projectionist's room had its own toilet and a small bar. The original sink is still there. It's pretty amazing that subsequent owners of the house have kept the original home theater in place (sans the old projector of course) without updating it.

Click here to continue.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
want

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
how am I supposed to get a ferrari up that drive way...

·
AV Person :)
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsdude /forum/post/20849281

Nice but not what I would expect from Disney.

I expected it would have elements from his films.

Like Mickey Mouse head shaped doorways or castle style exterior.

yeah me too...even I have more 'Disney' stuff than Disney. But he's a class act so personally, I'm good with it the way it is. Wonder what the rest of the interior looks like.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20849238

Really annoying that EVERY click through the slideshow on CEPro takes one to an intermediary ad.

I concur and refuse to read anything from CEPro. I love AVS and have been here for a long time, but I will not stand for this from CEPro, I know of NO other site that pulls that garbage.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't see any Mary Blair or Eyvind Earle influence... even my house has that!

get real walt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interstitial ads like the ones you find at CEPro are usually the sign of a business in trouble. They are trying to monetize absolutely everything on the site to stay alive a little while longer. They obviously don't care about the consumer experience one lick.

The couple images are mildly interesting though.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsdude /forum/post/20849281

Nice but not what I would expect from Disney.

I expected it would have elements from his films.

Like Mickey Mouse head shaped doorways or castle style exterior.

He probably wanted a break once here got home. I am a Police Officer and once I get home I don't run and turn on COps tv show

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Really classy looking theater and something that I can respect. Not what most of us would want, but it really looks like a room that you can relax in and in the end, isn't this what a home theater is supposed to accomplish?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
looks terrible

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.