AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved into a new place and I'm going to try a different setup (space restrictions). I'd like to know some options for the 3 speakers mentioned above that will provide some good quality sound for movies and music without breaking the bank (the magical balance). Any help would be great! I'm not bias towards any one brand but I've mostly had Polk in the past and enjoyed them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I'd like to know some options for the 3 speakers mentioned above that will provide some good quality sound for movies and music without breaking the bank (the magical balance).
Can you give us a budget range? That means different things to different people. :)

Also, what do you hope to improve/keep same as your Polks (and as JP12 pointed out, we need the model number).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you give us a budget range? That means different things to different people. :)

Also, what do you hope to improve/keep same as your Polks (and as JP12 pointed out, we need the model number).
I would like to stay under $1000 for two floor speakers and a new center. I have an old Polk TL2 but would like to upgrade

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I recently moved into a new place and I'm going to try a different setup (space restrictions). I'd like to know some options for the 3 speakers mentioned above that will provide some good quality sound for movies and music without breaking the bank (the magical balance). Any help would be great! I'm not bias towards any one brand but I've mostly had Polk in the past and enjoyed them.

What are the "3 speakers mentioned above" ? I'm not seeing them.:(

Joseph

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Do you have a subwoofer(s) or planning on getting one?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I do have one that i plan on using. It's a 10" Yamaha but I don't have access to the model number at the moment

You are going to have a more impressive sound system by going with good bookshelf speakers and a good sub, rather than good towers and a mediocre sub. But if you are set on towers, those that have been mentioned are a good place to start your research.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are going to have a more impressive sound system by going with good bookshelf speakers and a good sub, rather than good towers and a mediocre sub. But if you are set on towers, those that have been mentioned are a good place to start your research.
With the same $1000 budget, what would you suggest for 2 book shelf, center and sub?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
With the same $1000 budget, what would you suggest for 2 book shelf, center and sub?
That would depend upon the loudness level you are after and how far away you will be seated from the speaker. But for reasonable loudness levels and an AVR of about 90 watts/channel or so, I’d recommend the following (pricing may have changed and check on shipping):

$195 / pair (check on shipping) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html Uses a 1-inch silk dome tweeter and a 6-1/2 inch driver. This rear ported speaker is 6 Ohm w/ 84.5 sensitivity rating. Freq resp: 48Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB.

$225 / pair (includes one-way shipping) RBH/EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php Uses a 1-inch fabric dome tweeter and a 5-1/4 inch driver. This rear ported speaker is 8 Ohm w/85 dB sensitivity rating: Freq resp: 60 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB.

Note: you can use a third R5Bi at $112.50 for your center channel needs (I do and it works great, even on its side).

$230 / pair (check on shipping) Wave Crest HVL-1 bookshelf speaker: http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair This front ported speaker is 8 Ohm w/86 dB sensitivity rating. Freq rep: 63 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB.

$298 / pair (check on shipping, but rather high) Chane A1rx-c bookshelf speaker: http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chane-loudspeakers/A1rx-c Uses a 1-1/4 x 2-1/4 inch panel leaf tweeter and a 5-1/4 inch driver. This rear ported speaker is 8 Ohm w/85 dB sensitivity rating. Freq resp: 55 Hz to 25 kHz +/- 3 dB.

You’ll need to check each website to see what center channel they recommend, but you should be under $500 for your front stage on most of the above, leaving you over $500 for the sub. I’d be looking at the Rythmik LV12R, the EMP Tek I-12, or the SVS PB-1000. If you can stretch the budget a little then the Outlaw Ultra X-12 comes into play. The new kid on the block getting a lot of positive comments is the RSL Speedwoofer 10S at $400.

Reactions: acefr

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would depend upon the loudness level you are after and how far away you will be seated from the speaker. But for reasonable loudness levels and an AVR of about 90 watts/channel or so, I’d recommend the following (pricing may have changed and check on shipping):

$195 / pair (check on shipping) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html Uses a 1-inch silk dome tweeter and a 6-1/2 inch driver. This rear ported speaker is 6 Ohm w/ 84.5 sensitivity rating. Freq resp: 48Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB.

$225 / pair (includes one-way shipping) RBH/EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php Uses a 1-inch fabric dome tweeter and a 5-1/4 inch driver. This rear ported speaker is 8 Ohm w/85 dB sensitivity rating: Freq resp: 60 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB.

Note: you can use a third R5Bi at $112.50 for your center channel needs (I do and it works great, even on its side).

$230 / pair (check on shipping) Wave Crest HVL-1 bookshelf speaker: http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair This front ported speaker is 8 Ohm w/86 dB sensitivity rating. Freq rep: 63 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3 dB.

$298 / pair (check on shipping, but rather high) Chane A1rx-c bookshelf speaker: http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chane-loudspeakers/A1rx-c Uses a 1-1/4 x 2-1/4 inch panel leaf tweeter and a 5-1/4 inch driver. This rear ported speaker is 8 Ohm w/85 dB sensitivity rating. Freq resp: 55 Hz to 25 kHz +/- 3 dB.

You’ll need to check each website to see what center channel they recommend, but you should be under $500 for your front stage on most of the above, leaving you over $500 for the sub. I’d be looking at the Rythmik LV12R, the EMP Tek I-12, or the SVS PB-1000. If you can stretch the budget a little then the Outlaw Ultra X-12 comes into play. The new kid on the block getting a lot of positive comments is the RSL Speedwoofer 10S at $400.
Thanks a lot! I will definitely look into all of these options

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts

dmankey1,

Welcome. Some good ideas in the posts above. Maybe a few good ones here, too.

Some questions, first:
Room/listening area description​
Type and amount of listening (Home Theater, Music, Gaming)​
Open to used eqpt in good/exc condition?​
Are you in/near a major metropolitan area?​
Is powering your speakers likely to be an issue? IOW, low-sensitivity speakers and larger listening area will require more (relative) power.​

You mentioned having had Polk speakers. But, those in-ceiling speakers hardly qualify as real "Polks" or "real speakers" as an entire setup.

Any reason you are not considering Polk speakers, perhaps the RTi A series, or the (older) RTi12/10/8/6/4 series? They are known for high performance/value to cost speakers.

How about used and excellent-condition speakers on CL?

Many ABSOLUTELY SUPERB speakers may be found that way, at an agreeable price, if you are patient.

As you can see from my sig, I do have a number of wonderful Polk and Infinity (Beta and Primus) and Outlaw (sub) speakers. Have had some very large and high-end Klipsch, too. You may want to look around some . . . .

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts