AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Vic, if your around, I can't wait to hear your comments about the so called back up plan if E's merger bid does not go thru. I don't know how to bring over a url on here, so I will try and steer you in the right direction.

Seems a Sat49 group (consisting of ABC (disney), CBS (Viacom), NBC (GE) and FOX (News Corp) formed a new group to consider a bid for Direct. Allegedly this group would allow the public to receive national network programming free of charge, "with fees assessed only for customary fee for watching channels," (whatever that means?) which would spur the saturation of High "Density"Television transmissions. AND this will deliver HDTV "expeditiously and inexpensively." "It will revolutionize the way Americans receive their tv signals, and watch tv".

If you have not seen or heard this, I thought you might enjoy it. Care to comment?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think the Insight/PBS deal is great. I was completely surprised by the duration of the negotiations - 12 months! Wow. Amazing.

Hopefully, future negotiations will be much quicker. Can you imagine if we have to wait this long for Discovery-HD?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PTS
Vic, if your around, I can't wait to hear your comments about the so called back up plan if E's merger bid does not go thru. I don't know how to bring over a url on here, so I will try and steer you in the right direction.

Seems a Sat49 group (consisting of ABC (disney), CBS (Viacom), NBC (GE) and FOX (News Corp) formed a new group to consider a bid for Direct. Allegedly this group would allow the public to receive national network programming free of charge, "with fees assessed only for customary fee for watching channels," (whatever that means?) which would spur the saturation of High "Density"Television transmissions. AND this will deliver HDTV "expeditiously and inexpensively." "It will revolutionize the way Americans receive their tv signals, and watch tv".

If you have not seen or heard this, I thought you might enjoy it. Care to comment?
Where did you read this? To post a link just copy and paste from the address bar on your browser.

·
Registered
568 Posts
insight is really starting to making this hdtv-starved kentuckian happy. :eek:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Regardless, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for this. Not only for me, but for everyone interesting in HDTV programming that isn't willing to deal with OTA reception or Sattellite dishes..

I really believe the key to HDTV's success is through cable provider's support.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
In my opinion it will be a combination of cable and satellite suppor that will make HDTV a success. Alot of people(at least in my area) are moving away from cable to satellite.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The SAT49 idea sounds great. If they had this at the start of the year, I would have signed up for it in a heartbeat.

Big question: With the big four networks behind this, would it change anything on the requirements to get local station approval/waivers for viewing network feeds from satellite? I wanted CBS HDTV from Dish, but word from others in my area is that the local CBS (if 70 miles could be considered local) wouldn't grant waivers. To top it off, they did get on the air with a DTV channel, but its too low power to reach anywhere near, AND they don't have capability to pass the HDTV feed from CBS, anyway. So, is this situation going to chance?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RickRS
With the big four networks behind this....
What makes you think the big four networks are even in favor of this? Read the article again. It reads more like an idea pitch than a likely proposal.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm not 100% familiar with the history of this, but I thought that affilliates would howl in protest at this? This sounds like a dream come true for the big 4 networks; direct broadcasting to consumers.

Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.