AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has bought this? For $40 more you can get a Panasonic or Samsung but this one is easier to find in store.

Also plus is an extra year warranty (though you can get that with a credit card) plus Panny lacks pc input.

Update: price has been lowered since originally posted so now the Panny and Sammy are $90 more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For this year its once again a rebranded Samsung... Not just a samsung panel but completely inside and out the same... This years I believe it the panel is from a 42B400 model from last year...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Maybe I'll go with it. I am covered under extended warranty of a 2008 Insignia 32" Plasma (which I believe is an LG panel) for almost the full price of this one)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow if you go to Amazon and look at the back of this Samsung, then go to the product page for Insignia - they are exactly the same - even the part number...

Too bad this thing doesnt have PC input - kind of need that.

Has this model been out long? Cant find any info on the website.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My mom has the A400 sammy. She's had it for over a year and a half, no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I actually bought this a week ago at BB and returned this plasma to get the Samsung since it had VGA input and 3x hdmi 42" Model: PN42C450B1D compare to Insignia which only had 2x HDMI input and no VGA, it was only $40 more. It also didnt have many options for image adjustment compare to the Samsung. The Insignia only picked up OTA channels, the Samsung picked up OTA and digital with just the basic coax cable. The menu also had a slightly different look so I wouldn't say its a completely rebranded Samsung but it's pretty damn close.

I would say this is closer to the PN42C340 if anything. PN42C340 is almost the same as the one I have. Go with the Samsung if you need the extra inputs and more imagine adjustment options.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLEST x BEAST /forum/post/18625773

I actually bought this a week ago at BB and returned this plasma to get the Samsung since it had VGA input and 3x hdmi 42" Model: PN42C450B1D compare to Insignia which only had 2x HDMI input and no VGA, it was only $40 more. It also didnt have many options for image adjustment compare to the Samsung. The Insignia only picked up OTA channels, the Samsung picked up OTA and digital with just the basic coax cable. The menu also had a slightly different look so I wouldn't say its a completely rebranded Samsung but it's pretty damn close.

I would say this is closer to the PN42C340 if anything. PN42C340 is almost the same as the one I have. Go with the Samsung if you need the extra inputs and more imagine adjustment options.

Thanks. But Samsung is tough to find in store and it seems like they tack on another $70 for shipping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, so it doesn't have a pc input but I don't think it will matter since both my pc and laptop have HDMI. Will I get the same result or better w/ HDMI vs pc input? In order to get pc input, I'd have to spend at least another $90

Warranty Terms - Parts 2 years

Warranty Terms - Labor 2 years

Product Width 40-5/8"

Product Weight 43 lbs. with stand (39.7 lbs. without)

Plasma Flat-Panel

Screen Size Class 42"

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 42"

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Maximum Resolution 1024 x 768

Vertical Resolution 720p

Screen Refresh Rate 600Hz

Native Contrast Ratio 30,000:1

Dynamic Contrast Ratio 1,000,000:1

Internet Connectable No

USB Port No

Media Card Slot No

HDMI Inputs 2

DVI Inputs 0

Component Video Inputs 2

Composite Inputs 1

Audio Outputs 2

Speaker Output Power 20W

Speakers 2

ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes

Language Options English, French, Spanish

V-Chip Yes

Sleep Timer Yes

Channel Labeling Yes

Remote Control Type Standard

Power Consumption (watts) Power On 200

Brightness 500 cd/m²

Headphone Jacks No

Watts/Channel 10

Simulated Surround Yes

Sound Leveler Yes

USB Input No

Ethernet Port No

iPod Dock No

Product Height (with stand) 27-1/2"

Product Depth (with stand) 11-7/8"

Product Depth (without stand) 2-3/4"

Product Height (without stand) 24-7/8"

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HDMI of course is better. Hopefully your pc can run sound through your hdmi out. I have had issues with running separate audio with HDMI on my previous Insignia and I have read that people have also had issues doing this with Sony. I believe my previous Insignia was not a Samsung like this one so hopefully the Samsung does not have that issue, I went with the $539 Samsung PN42C450B1D and it is being delivered today
At the time the Insignia was $499 so for $40 it was worth the Samsung name and the extra inputs. For $90 difference and the extra year warranty, the Insignia is a nice purchase if you do not need the pc input.

Next tv purchase may be the Panasonic 50" 720p plasma from Costco.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I noticed it is now on sale for $449.00

As the menu and looks of the TV look exactly like a Samsung

Funny thing..I was messing around with one in the store and it didn't respond to a Samsung remote

I then used the Insignia remote and it worked fine...the Insignia remote also controlled a Dynex LCD that was nearby

Samsung remotes have controlled all the TV's for several years..even the new ones ...they haven't changed codes

Seems odd that this Insignia would work from a different code

The remote looks just like last years "basic" Samsung TV remote with an Insignia brand name on it

It did not control any of the Samsung TV's

I know the code that these Insignia/Dynex products has been the same for a while also..in fact the same codes will work for older( more than 3 years) LG products also

Warren

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My old Insignia 32" plasma was made by LG - at least the screen. I never knew what the remote code was, I got it by scanning but the remote code just covered the basics.

So I guess this tells you that this Insignia probably uses parts from LG in addition the Samsung board.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Picked one up last night. $450 very well spent. For anyone thinking of transporting one in their car, the Box (packaging) Dimensions are 51" W x 8.6" D x 29.33" H

·
Registered
2,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV68 /forum/post/18690322

Ok, so it doesn't have a pc input but I don't think it will matter since both my pc and laptop have HDMI. Will I get the same result or better w/ HDMI vs pc input? In order to get pc input, I'd have to spend at least another $90

You can use hdmi, but you may lose part of the screen if you can't control the overscan. The tv probably only takes 480/720/1080 through hdmi, but with a pc input, you could send 1024x768, it's native resolution.

I use hdmi with my Panasonic, it has the same res. The tv has no overscan control, so I do it via the video card (ati). My Hitachi Plasma has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode, so it can be run without overscan from the video card.

Also HDMI does not seem to be able to shut down a display, so your screen saver won't be able to shut off the monitor. It goes to a blue screen.

You probably won't want to be on the pc much with a display that's this low res.

Greg

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess I may be SOL in playing videos thru HDMI off my PC. Since I knew the TV did not have a PC input, and decided to buy it anyways, I'm keeping it. That's the honorable thing to do. Had I been mislead, that'd be another story.

I'm quite pleased with the quality of the picture thus far. I've seen a few oddities though. The aspect ratio thru the TV input doesn't always automatically adjust. It's also the same thru Component Cables when watching DVD's. i.e. I'll set it to 16x9 and the trailers which apparently are 4x3, play in 16x9. Another thing is that when accessing Picture Options, it will sometimes freeze. When I initially scanned channels in, it changed the Color Tone from Cool to Warm 2.

Hopefully these glitches will be fixed with a firmware update. I've never owned a Insignia product. Do they actually offer updates like the major manufacturer's do? The USB port says Service and the manual does mention it. Also, since technically this is a Samsung TV, has anyone found a way to access the service menu?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV68 /forum/post/18727214

I guess I may be SOL in playing videos thru HDMI off my PC. Since I knew the TV did not have a PC input, and decided to buy it anyways, I'm keeping it. That's the honorable thing to do. Had I been mislead, that'd be another story.

I'm quite pleased with the quality of the picture thus far. I've seen a few oddities though. The aspect ratio thru the TV input doesn't always automatically adjust. It's also the same thru Component Cables when watching DVD's. i.e. I'll set it to 16x9 and the trailers which apparently are 4x3, play in 16x9. Another thing is that when accessing Picture Options, it will sometimes freeze. When I initially scanned channels in, it changed the Color Tone from Cool to Warm 2.

Hopefully these glitches will be fixed with a firmware update. I've never owned a Insignia product. Do they actually offer updates like the major manufacturer's do? The USB port says Service and the manual does mention it. Also, since technically this is a Samsung TV, has anyone found a way to access the service menu?

What is the issue with playing videos through hdmi?

Overall are you happy with the purchase?

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc /forum/post/18728167

What is the issue with playing videos through hdmi?

None that I know of, as I don't have any HDMI cables to try out. I have some on order. I guess I shouldn't assume I will also have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc /forum/post/18728167

Overall are you happy with the purchase?

I am very happy with the purchase. It's the best $450 I ever spent....and it has a 2yr warranty. Incredible deal for the price.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For a bedroom TV, either will be great. Sh!t. Growing up I had a hand-me down Zenith B&W 19" TV on a mobile cart; and no remote! The Panasonic does have more inputs, and a AR screen. If it's worth $80 more to you, then go with the Panny. I did notice that the Insignia is about 12lbs lighter than the Panny though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Alright I picked this up today and have it hooked to my pc via HDMI, it works pretty well with my onboard ATI graphics. Just not really great for web browsing up close obviously with the lack of pixels.

Funny this is my ATI control panel has it labeled as "Samsung" and I didn't even catch that for a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 335 Posts