AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first plasma. Best Buy had a deal i could not pass up. The salesman told me it was a rebranded samsung 530. I looked up the manual for both and it looks like the only difference is the settings in the menu. I have only 2 questions, one is the film mode the same as cine smooth and two are there and recommendations for picture settings. I know plasma picture can be a little different, but i am looking for a general starting point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is my first Plasma set also. I'm blown away by how great this thing looks. I had purchased an RCA 46" LCD (46LA45RQ) set for $529 and was a bit unimpressed with the color accuracy on it and lack of control over color in its controls. I took it back and got the Insignia for only $120 more and WOW what a difference. When I got home and set it up I couldn't step away from the thing - it was just gorgeous. I tweaked a few obvious settings like sharpness and brought down the contrast and brightness, but the color accuracy of this set is very impressive and I do color correction and detail work for a living so I don't fool easily when it comes to colors and detail. I continue to be blown away that this set only cost me $650.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For those who may not know, this set basically a re-badged Samsung PN51D530 which is supposedly using the same panel as the PN51D550 only with fewer bells and whistles (fewer inputs, no 3D, etc). In another thread I posted this in an attempt to see if there was a way to access the service menu for tighter calibration:

"Can anyone out there confirm that these methods of calibration work on the PN51D530 which is supposed to be essentially the same panel as the D550 only without 3D and fewer inputs. Furthermore also hoping if this is true then they will also work on the Insignia NS-51P680A12 which is supposedly just a re-badged PN51D530."

I haven't tried anything with it yet, but when I do, I will post back here.

This is the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD /forum/post/20774569

Ok, I would be very interested to know, i am a little "iffy" about messing arround in service menu.

Well if your set looks as good as mine does then there shouldn't be much need for it. I'm still smiling... ear to ear baby!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first plasma as well, so far so good, I was really scared to buy it se)eing as I'm using it primarily for gaming, it has some image retention issues but doesn't burn in thankfully, it's just more of an annoyance. also my set flickers whenever the systems (xboxand ps3) are changing resolutions (for example during netflix, switching from a game to the dash board). Any how my picture looks amazing, after using the break-in dvd for a couple of days, here's what I did:

(I started in standard mode if it makes any difference)

Cell Light:10

Contrast:65

Brightness:60

Sharpness:35

Color:80

Tint: G50/R50

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has better settings and lets please talk about this tv, theres no reviews or anything and I'm still on the return clock lol

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeyz /forum/post/20773590

For those who may not know, this set basically a re-badged Samsung PN51D530 which is supposedly using the same panel as the PN51D550 only with fewer bells and whistles (fewer inputs, no 3D, etc). In another thread I posted this in an attempt to see if there was a way to access the service menu for tighter calibration:

"Can anyone out there confirm that these methods of calibration work on the PN51D530 which is supposed to be essentially the same panel as the D550 only without 3D and fewer inputs. Furthermore also hoping if this is true then they will also work on the Insignia NS-51P680A12 which is supposedly just a re-badged PN51D530."

This is the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743

Did you see this thread for the D530?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1342314

There's confirmation in the very first post that the service menu access and calibration options are identical or nearly identical to the D550.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmck /forum/post/20589723

I've done a lot of searching online and haven't found a whole lot of information about this TV. I recently bought the PN51D530 model and absolutely love it and want to hear from others that have it too.

Some things I'm looking for:

-Calibration: There's nothing on calibration that I could find so I looked at a couple of similar model's calibration numbers over at televisioninfo.com and found what I think are some decent settings.

--PN51D450: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

--PN51D550: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

The calibration options are virtually the same for these two models so I figure they should translate decently over to the 530.

-Model Comparison / Reviews: Any kind of model comparison or review would be great. I think this model looks great but this is my first plasma.

Also, the advanced calibration mode (Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power) works on this model. I'm not sure if there is anything in there worth changing but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether this Insignia set has the same features as the Samsung PN51D530? In particular, I'm wondering whether it has "CinemaSmooth" enabled, Samsung's name for 4:4 frame display with 24Hz sources.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought this TV two days ago and with everyone watching SDTV, I now have noticeable lines on each side, because of the black border lines. Is there an easy way to remove them? Should I go through the break-in process to help eliminate this? I thought this was a thing of the past and no longer an issue!

Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
107 Posts
You have to be very careful with burn in during the first 200 or so hours. Only watch full screen material. About the only thing you can do is avoid 4:3 material and hope you have a case of image retention and not burn in. If possible switch your bars to gray instead of black.

Here's a article from cnet posted within the last week.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-in-a-problem/

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeyz /forum/post/20773590

This is the thread:
(I'm too new to reply with a URL)

I'm very interested to see what you find out on this. I'm gonna buy one of these TVs today. My friend just bought a Samsung D8000, but I don't have that kind of money, but I'd love to be able to tweak my settings like the D8000.

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenser /forum/post/20835936

I bought this TV two days ago and with everyone watching SDTV, I now have noticeable lines on each side, because of the black border lines. Is there an easy way to remove them? Should I go through the break-in process to help eliminate this? I thought this was a thing of the past and no longer an issue!

Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Sam

Post this in the Master Burn-in Sticky to get more response on this issue!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I just bought this set and am very disappointed
. I returned an Lg LCD to buy this, because the blacks on that TV were very lacking, and to my suprise, this tv's black are actually worse and the colors look very washed out. I don't know if I got a single faulty tv or if all tvs of the same model have similar problems.

So are your sets better? If so, do you think i should exchange this one and try my luck with another one or should i pay extra and get a smaller Panasonic one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluisev /forum/post/20876130

. I returned an Lg LCD to buy this, because the blacks on that TV were very lacking, and to my suprise, this tv's black are actually worse and the colors look very washed out. I don't know if I got a single faulty tv or if all tvs of the same model have similar problems.

So are your sets better? If so, do you think i should exchange this one and try my luck with another one or should i pay extra and get a smaller Panasonic one? Thanks in advance.

Get a smaller Panasonic.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluisev /forum/post/20876130

I just got one, and I'm experiencing the same thing. White's come up as Grey, and the Black level isn't very impressive.

Also, the menu let's you change the model number, but you can't change it to the 7000 series to get all the cool calibration features.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Same problem as the above 2 posters...any advice?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.