AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered one a few days ago and picked it up yesterday.

I figured for the price, I can always return it if I do not like it. Looks like I may do just that.

First, 55" oh my, sitting at 7.5', that is big. And now, yes dear, I really can EASILY see the difference between 420 and 720+. No, not just easily, more like its just a total disaster. My 42" upstairs is nothing quite like this in terms of size, and I also sit at 10-12' from it.

So thoughts on this thing. It has flashlights in the 4 corners. The flashlighting is 8 to 12"s in on each corner. Fairly significant. Sure you can only see in the corners, but yes I picked up on it in about 6 scenes during an hour of movie last night. Its glaringly obvious on ESPN with the black bar across the bottom.

I worked on the calibration some. I am sure I have to do it again as I haven't calibrated in quite sometime, but I think I am close and that didnt help at all.

I have read LED's (edge light) are much worse about doing this than the CFL LCD panels. I would imagine if I spent 2x the money I could get a better 55" LED. I would guess that is so, as I have never noticed it on the LG 42,32 and panny 32 that I have.

Really for the 799 price, the question becomes can I put up with it or go back to a 46" size TV unless there is another screaming deal out there.

Rant, over.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Don't live with it and put that $850 with tax into a much better screen, I bought this same TV today and what a waste of time this has turned out to be, I guess you get what you pay for, I screwed around with it for about 2 hours, No 1 the sound is just plain out horrible! I was going to try and live with that but the screen doesn't even work as a good computer monitor, Just a horrible mess in that regard as well. Its already in my car for a trip back to Best Buy tomorrow. I didn't realize that my 4 year old Westinghouse would blow this insignia out of the water! I want a good LED LCD that plays as a TV and a monitor for my computer that is 55", and this surely isn't it!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Picked up an LG LW5600 3D TV when I went back with this one and what a night and day difference. Great PC monitor and a great picture with decent sound. Totally happy now although a good bit more lighter in the wallet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts