AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This appears to be a revision of the tv mentioned in last year's model (thread 1162365) of the same set. The biggest difference I've seen is that the 120Hz has 4 steps now, [Off, Low, Medium, High]. Low is barely perceptible and is almost watchable. High is full-on soap-opera mode and makes me want to pluck out my eyeballs. Medium is the default and catches me at odd moments going "hmm, nice picture" and at other moments going "gah, how do i turn off this 120hz thing?"

I got the TV as a PSP replacement of my venerated Westinghouse TX-42F430S... which was a PSP replacement of the very first Westy 42" 1080p monitor (no tuner built-in). So i've had a good run in the 42" bracket over the last 4-5 years or so. I had to talk the salesman *up* from a $630 40" Toshiba (might have been either an on-sale 40RV525U or a cheaper model in the same chassis; I'm thinking it was the latter) he tried to foist on me as an "equivalent" model, but I argued him up to the Insignia due to screen size (42 vs 40), 2 more HDMI ports (Westy had 4), and the need for some side-mount HDMI and PC ports like my Westy had.

In any case, it cost me all of $5.10 to take the Insignia home (tax basis difference between 2 years ago and today) and so far I'm a happy camper. It's got a decent pic that I'm still tweaking. Was hoping for some help here as all I've got at home for calibration right now is old DVDs with THX Opti-Mode stuff (and I don't even have the color glasses
).

Has anyone done an ISF on one of these panels?

Any guidance as to what the near-optimum settings are via the user-accessible controls are?

Any tips on accessing the service menu for finer control?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I really hope we are not the only two people on AVS who have this TV. Google only reports this thread. Either way I have come to a few settings after the last 20hours or so that I have owned this TV, but nothing concrete. I also own the westy tv that you traded for yours. My westy still works great and is pulling living room duty now. The Westy certainly had more control available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,

Well hopefully we can make it 3 on this Forum. I am looking at it, but I am also looking at a few Vizios.

Can you tell me if this has a built in QAM Tuner? Also, is the paint a glossy black or just regular black?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paint (if you can call it that) is a glossy black finish.

I haven't tried pulling QAM with it, but it seems to have a built in ATSC at the least.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My settings for cable TV are/

Brightness-52

Contrast-57

Color_50

Tint-R1

sharpness+5

Advanced settings

Color Temp-warm

Noise reduction-off

DCM plus-low

Advanced contrast-off

Backlight-10

Advanced Light control-off

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lets see i went through the AVSHD basic setup on my PS3 and came up with these settings:

i don't have color filters to run through the color setup but looking at the clipping color screen (A7 - RGB high clipping) the color seems to be off no matter what setup i've used red and blue clip way before green and green never clips (maybe thats normal i don't know) i set it up so red and blue clip off at the marker.

I've scoured the internet looking for a way into the service menu to no avail. I think these newer models may need a special remote or perhaps a jumper setting on the remote (there are jumper pins in the battery compartment)

Brightness 87

Contrast 15

Color 56

Tint 0

sharpness -3 (I might up this to 0)

Advanced settings

Color Temp- normal

Noise reduction-off

DCM plus-low

Advanced contrast-off

Backlight-30

Advanced Light control-off

Also on the insignia forums people have reported having problems with direct tv and using 1080p at 24 hz and the offical reply is

Quote:
Hello all,

The fix for this issue is currently undergoing testing and is expected to be delivered in mid-March. We're grateful for your continued patience.

Thank you,

Gonza

Insignia Support Team

Edit: Thats mid-march 2010 (since who knows when you're reading this post)

so i wonder if they will actually release a firmware update for this model and if so i'm thinking you will have to get it serviced by a tech?? has anyone ever heard of a tv company releasing a firmware update to the masses?

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edetweil /forum/post/18294412

Also on the insignia forums people have reported having problems with direct tv and using 1080p at 24 hz and the offical reply is

Edit: Thats mid-march 2010 (since who knows when you're reading this post)

so i wonder if they will actually release a firmware update for this model and if so i'm thinking you will have to get it serviced by a tech?? has anyone ever heard of a tv company releasing a firmware update to the masses?

I brought this to their attention months ago and I was supposed to hear a reply in a week...LOL. Currently, I have had some success by just using the TV's built in 5:5 pull down setting for 24Hz material. That keeps everything jitter free. That is the DCM plus on the low setting by the way. The higher settings are frame interpolation and that is not my thing. I don't think they originally intended for this TV to ever use 24Hz. I think they advertised it that way so now they are trying to fix it. Even though the result is identical to what you get from 5:5.

Your settings look funny to me. Why so much brightness and back light? My back light is set at 10 for my cable box and 15 for my PC. Mine is very bright. I would expect your settings to be more close to the mid ranges. It suggests to me, that maybe there is something wrong with the signal it's being fed or that the TV has some kind of fault.

Yes, TVs have firmware updates all the time. I have flashed my Westinghouse twice since I have had it. With an ordinary 1gb usb flash drive. This TV has some kind of port back there but I haven't inspected it to see what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Your settings look funny to me. Why so much brightness and back light? My back light is set at 10 for my cable box and 15 for my PC. Mine is very bright. I would expect your settings to be more close to the mid ranges. It suggests to me, that maybe there is something wrong with the signal it's being fed or that the TV has some kind of fault.

Yea i'm not sure about those settings now but thats what came out the best from running the setup dvd i.e. at what points i could see the right bars flashing. I'm wondering if something isn't setup right with my PS3 which is what i used to run the AVSDVD, because when i watch TIVO it doesn't look right and i have switched the settings to one of the preprogrammed ones i think set it to vivid. I'm using HDMI for both the TIVO and PS3.

With those setting it wasn't very bright despite the high brightness and back-light settings i think because the contrast was so low. But it is defiantly a lot brighter with the vivid setting which i think lowers the brightness and increases the contrast to more mid ranges like you say.

i've basically given up on trying to tweak it i don't have and color filters to work with and don't really know enough about what i'm doing anyway.

Quote:
That is the DCM plus on the low setting by the way. The higher settings are frame interpolation and that is not my thing.

So if DCM low uses 5:5 what does off do? and you say med and higher settings are when frame interpolation starts. I assume thats what causes the "soap opera" effect which i do kinda like for some reason but even on med in high motion scenes it seems to not be able to handle it and everything breaks up and kinda gets i donno choppy? i guess is a good word for it; it looks horrible which is why i turned that setting all the way off in the first place, since i didn't know low was something else? if i read your comment right.

·
Registered
401 Posts
From what I can tell, off is 3:2. I haven't had whole lot of time to really check it out because I use a PC. I can't really be 100% sure that if I see something jitter that it is not the computer. I have a gen1 BlueRay player here. I had planned to get it hooked up with separates for audio because it has analog out. I have not tried it with this TV yet.

I know the PS3 has a setting for movies and one for games. One mode will be 0-255 and the other will be 16-235. It has been forever since I set it. Have a look around and see if that setting makes a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
One mode will be 0-255 and the other will be 16-235.

After digging around the settings on the PS3 there is one called "RGB Full Range (HDMI)" with options limited or Full

does that sound like what your talking about (it was set to limited so i changed it to full)

there is also a setting called "Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)" which has settings of off or on It was set to off so i changed it to on

i think maybe with these 2 settings setup the way they were might be why i ended up with such screwy settings when i have time i'll run through the setup DVD again and see what happens.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edetweil /forum/post/18342947

After digging around the settings on the PS3 there is one called "RGB Full Range (HDMI)" with options limited or Full

does that sound like what your talking about (it was set to limited so i changed it to full)

there is also a setting called "Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)" which has settings of off or on It was set to off so i changed it to on

i think maybe with these 2 settings setup the way they were might be why i ended up with such screwy settings when i have time i'll run through the setup DVD again and see what happens.

Hmm, I have a TV here that says that HDMI-1 is for PCs and thus should be expecting a full 0-255 signal(this TV by the way
). You say yours was set to limited. Maybe your TV is expecting a 0-255 gray scale on that HDMI input. Which really is perfect for the PS3. If you set it to full and calibrate for 0-255 with just an image file of a scale, then video black should look gray but the games and photos will be perfect. If you can, setup a separate preset on your TV and calibrate with the Disk, then you can just switch presets when you go to watch a video and your life will be a lot easier. As a matter of fact, I think that is how I have mine setup on the living room TV. So, I guess I should recommend that you set it to full and have two settings on the TV.

Get that back light down lower. Increase the brightness setting if you must. With a lower back light you will get much better black representation. Don't crank the contrast up high just because you can still see the difference in the white boxes. As long as the whitest one still looks white you can go down some. You will find that the closer you can get the picture to resemble a picture on the wall, in terms of brightness and contrast, the better your picture will look, and you will be able to see more detail. That is the only way I know how to explain it in terms of what you should see. Also, you really should have your brightness setting to where you just can see the difference in 15 to 16. Most instructions say to make 15 disappear entirely. They weren't written for LCDs, where a change of seating position can mean seeing the texture on a black sweater, or not.

I also just realized that this TV wont let you make more than one custom preset. Perhaps one of the other modes will work with the game levels. My test pattern says the Standard and Vivid modes pass full 0-255. I would say to use the Standard or Vivid preset for games, internet, and photo viewing. Use the Custom mode for video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just updated my TV today. I ran into some problems with the update the progress bar got stuck at 99% and after waiting about 10 min i pulled the usb drive and restarted the tv. Everything seems to be working correctly i tested the 24hz with the PS3 and it now works which it did not before. I'm wondering if i should try the update again since it got stuck at 99% or if i should just leave it be? If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Been going through and resetting all the settings since they all get reset with the firmware update so i would suggest writing down all your settings before you do the update. I knew beforehand that my settings would get erased and somehow i still didn't think to do this and now i need to go through the process of figuring out the settings again.

In case anyone is wondering what the firmware update changes:

1) Improvement to Game Mode time response

2) Support for 1080P @ 24HZ video resolution

3) Improvement on channel audio stability when signal is weak

1 - 18 of 18 Posts