AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey:

I saw this advertised today at Best Buy and wanted your thoughts on it. I have a Best Buy gift card and I'm looking for a receiver for my bedroom. This is just something basic that will decode the HD audio codecs on a 5.1 setup. Here's the link:

http://insigniaproducts.com/products...S-R5101HD.html

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it decodes the audio over HDMI without a separate connection. It's supposedly comes with a 1 year warranty, but Best Buy's site says 90 days.

I'm thinking I'd be better off with a refurbished Onkyo 507, but I'd like the experts opinion on it before buying anything. Thanks!

EDIT:

I've edited the title to now reflect that this is the "general" thread for the receiver. It makes sense now with people asking questions to those that wn it.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My guess is that they skimp on the power supply given the price. Power consumption is listed as 3.8A which is not horrible though. That would indicate it can draw 450 watts from your wall outlet. That's about what some of the budget Yamaha receivers consume.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6 /forum/post/17008826

Per the users' manual:

http://insigniaproducts.com/cms/docu...%20UM%20EN.pdf

Ah, they finally posted it. When I originally made this thread the manual wasn't online yet. Judging from the statements here, this may seem to be a good value after all. Also it looks like Best Buy updated their site to reflect the 1 year warranty. If I purchase on an American Express or similar card, the warranty is doubled.

I think I'm going to jump on this item after all. Thanks everyone!

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
I bought my son an Insignia 2 channel 'open box' on ebay for $50 for Christmas...It isn't a bad receiver...Sound quality is acceptable and actually pretty darn nice...He uses it in his bedroom for a mini system he has including VCR Xbox 360 HD DVD A3 player and radio...Works well...Not quite as nice as my Denon obviously but certainly nothing to be ashamed of...I imagine this one is of at least the same quality in which case well worth the price of admission...

·
Registered
16,822 Posts
Just picked up an open box Insignia NS-R5101 for next to nothing (last years model without the HD decoding) and honestly for what I paid I was not expecting much. I got what I expected... not much. I grabbed this for a bedroom set-up that I have been gathering gear for and there is no way this unit provides 100w x 5. I don't know how similar the new 'HD' model is but if the amp section is basically the same I would not expect much out of it. If moderate volume is all you require then it might be an ok fit. Hopefully the amp section in the 'HD' model is improved...?

Best of Luck,

Jason

·
Registered
377 Posts
$179 this week at BB. This is a good value product compared to other units with similar features. I will probably pick one up for a family member that wouldn't notice the difference otherwise........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was hoping to connect my PS3 to this receiver and then to my HDTV.

The Best Buy website said that this receiver is NOT HDTV ready.

Does anyone know what this means? Does this mean the receiver is unable to let the full HD 1080P go from the Blu-Ray player to the HDTV?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydain7 /forum/post/17585274

I was hoping to connect my PS3 to this receiver and then to my HDTV.

The Best Buy website said that this receiver is NOT HDTV ready.

Does anyone know what this means? Does this mean the receiver is unable to let the full HD 1080P go from the Blu-Ray player to the HDTV?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I was wondering this same thing my self. I was in best buy today and saw this receiver on sale for 179. Best buy guy said they been selling lots at that price. Does anyone know what the receiver specs means by not HD ready? Obviously if it's using HDMI isn't it able to pass HD video? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the step of faith and purchased this receiver.

I am happy to report that the full 1080p works through this receiver. I connected my PS3 to this receiver and then to my HDTV. The HDTV said the signal it was receiving was 1080P.

I am not sure about the 1080p/60 etc.../24... but the picture looked great.

I bought this with the insignia speakers because it gave me $80 dollars off! So I got the receiver and the speakers for $280... which is a great deal.

By the way, I also called Insignia and Best Buy; after a long wait, they told me that the HDTV compatible-NO is a mistake...

Right now, the receiver and speakers work great. The only thing I miss is the ipod/iphone adapter, but I can get one of those for about $12 on ebay.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydain7 /forum/post/17597391

I am happy to report that the full 1080p works through this receiver. I connected my PS3 to this receiver and then to my HDTV. The HDTV said the signal it was receiving was 1080P.

I bought this with the insignia speakers because it gave me $80 dollars off! So I got the receiver and the speakers for $280... which is a great deal.

By the way, I also called Insignia and Best Buy; after a long wait, they told me that the HDTV compatible-NO is a mistake...

Right now, the receiver and speakers work great. The only thing I miss is the ipod/iphone adapter, but I can get one of those for about $12 on ebay.

How did you get the 80.00 off?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydain7 /forum/post/17597391

Is it passing audio over HDMI too? Or are you having to run seperate audio cable?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought this receiver today before the sale expires. So far experience is positive and the sound is good. It has both HDMI pass-thru and AMP mode, and in AMP mode it decodes DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD from HDMI so no additional audio connection is needed. The only annoying thing that I've found so far (perhaps there is a way to fix) is when it decodes DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD you will have to set the receiver to AUTO mode, but in AUTO mode there is no way to tell exactly what format it is decoding, so you will have to have the blind faith that it is decoding the right thing :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
This today from Insignia:

Thanks for contacting Insignia about your Home Theater Receiver. I'm Federico

and I'll do my best to provide you with an accurate resolution for your issue!

For what I've read on your E-mail you are looking for some specs on this

device.

In this case, this home theatre will be compatible with 1080p and 60 Hz.

Federico Guillemi and the Insignia Products Customer Care Team

----------------------------------------------------

>

> The question was:

>

> Does this product allow 1080p/24 sources to be output to the TV? Or only

> 1080p/60?

>

>

EDIT:

This sucks. I was really looking forward to a good deal on this thing.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.