AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christopher Nolans' followup to the brilliant "Memento" is Insomnia, an outstanding thiller featuring the most harried performance by Al Pacino I've ever seen. Foregoing the time fractured structure of Memento, Insomnia is the story of 2 homicide detectives from L.A. assisting on a murder investigation in Alaska during the time of the midnight sun. Robin Williams, playing against type, and Hillary Swank give very good turns but it is Pacinos' show and he simply revels in it. Suffering from lack of sleep and disorientation as well as other factors I won't give away here, Pacinos' performance draws the viewer into his mind set without the scenery chewing, over the top performances he occasionally falls victim to. Morally ambiguous and never apologetic, the movie works as a psychological thriller and as a character study in guilt. Nolans' direction is confident, stylish but never heavy-handed. While Insomnia doesn't quite approach Memento in terms of originality and audacity, its' style, pacing and narrative should have broader appeal. Nolan succeeds in creating a good, old fashioned character-driven thriller that is always engaging and never dull.

I give it 3 1/2 stars out of four. See it soon!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
FYI, Insomnia is based on a Swedish (?) film of the same name starring Stellan Skarsgard. It is available in the US as an anamorphic DVD from the Criterion Collection. Highly recommended. I look forward to seeing the remake.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Gets the Dogfood Kibbles n' Bits award for niftiest mystery in a while. Great performances from all. Al can knaw the scenery, but he's still a fine actor and full of surprises; Robin surprises by creating a character without schtick, both weak and overwhelmingly dangerous, and this was Food's first exposure to Hillary Swank- what a performance, and easy on the eyes as well. And we all know about the direction.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood
....and this was Food's first exposure to Hillary Swank- what a performance, and easy on the eyes as well.
You mean you missed the legendary "Next Karate Kid"?! ;)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Well, I saw it Saturday night and enjoyed it. Nolan have proved (at least to me) he is not a one hit wonder. INSOMIA is a very good film and I am glad it is opening big.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Matt did you like Memento? If so, do you think that Insomnia is better than Memento?

BTW, I just watched the HBO First Look Special on it, and it does look like a pretty good movie.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Loved MEMENTO. One of the best films I have seen in the last few years. INSOMNIA is nowhere near as good, but few films are. I'd rate MEMENTO an A+ and INSOMNIA a B+ to an A-.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just returned from seeing Insomnia, and while it was a good film, the Norwegian original is infinitely superior.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
:) Amazing. Some say exactly the opposite.

I will say this, I watched VANILLA SKY (or whatever it's called) last night and HATED IT! The original, OPEN YOUR EYES, is vastly superior.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I haven't seen this, but I enjoyed the original and I agree that remakes are almost always inferior to the originals.

But there are a couple of exceptions I can think of:

- Alfred Hitchcock's remake of his own "Man who knew too much."

- Scorese's remake of "Cape Fear." The remake is much more character driven. I'm sure some will disagree, but I thought it was a lot better.

Michael Bate

·
Registered
977 Posts
As a fan of Chris Nolan's work this was a must see film. I agree that this is no where near as good a picture as Memento, although this film is so different it's not really fair to compare the two.

Not a happy story...I was glad the sun was still shinning when I left the theatre...I rate this a solid B.

Howie

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
This remake definitely had different pacing than the original--Insomnia (2002) had much more conventional American pacing, IIRC. Each stands on its own because of this.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Isn't there already a pretty long, existing thread on this film? Probably should just add this one to that one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.