AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing my first CRT projector, and have the opportunity to check out a Barco 808s (+Iris) that is selling for a very reasonable price. It apparently was used in a University for displaying both a computer desktop and movies. I believe it has about 5000 hours on the unit.

What should I look for? What's an iris? I assume wear on the CRTs should be first (burn-in and any sign of crud). I guess my first step will be downloading the manual and giving it a read.

If there are any other thoughts on what I should look for, please send them my way. This is the first CRT projector I have had the opportunity to really take a good look at.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Tubes Tubes Tubes!

Check the tubes, and compare them against the rating scale at curtpalme.com Plan on taking the lenses off.
http://www.curtpalme.com/TubeCondition.htm

Very basically, the less wear the better. Less basically, you want to see large, even wear over as much of the phosphor as possible. A small, wedge shaped burn, for example, is indication that the pj was set up poorly (#4 and #2 on the above site.)

Reason being, if the wear is large and even you can set up your image within the wear, and have reasonably good picture quality (a burned tube will show color variations if the projected image falls outside of the burned area, resulting in a very clear line between white and yellowish white, for instance.)

I believe (heresay, as I have no direct experience with the bigger Barcos) that the 808s uses a tube no longer in production or is otherwise difficult to find, limiting the usefullness of such a PJ should the tubes be toast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Barco Graphics 808s have Sony 8" 07MFP2 tubes.

And the Barco Data 808s have MEC 8" 180DVB22 tubes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
All you need to use MEC (180DVB or P16) tubes in Barco Graphics 808s is a set of neckboards and RGB amplifiers from a Barco 808, Barco Data 808s, Barco 1208 or Barco 1208/2.

Then you can swap the MEC tubes directly into it.

Of course you need the magnetics from the MEC tubes as well...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Iris is hardware that will setup the projector to within 90% of optimal conditions. It will do the convergence and other setups. It uses a camera that looks at a series of lines that are flashed on the screens and then automatically adjusts the picture. It will allow you to setup a projector within less than an hour, even an a half hour.

Now many people on the forum here will be striving for the extra 10% of doing the convergence themselves. It will get better, but at diminishing gains, in terms of time spent.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701s
Barco Graphics 808s have Sony 8" 07MFP2 tubes.

And the Barco Data 808s have MEC 8" 180DVB22 tubes.
The important thing to know here is that generally speaking the tubes in the Barco Graphics 808s are not rebuildable, meaning that you have to buy new ones for $1200USD/each. The Barco Data 808s tubes are rebuildable for $550USD/each.

Given that the PJ has 5000 hours on it and was used to display a computer desktop some of the time, my guess that at least the B and G tubes will need replacing.

If you're very lucky, then the B and G wear will be large and even, with only windows taskbar burn at the bottom of the screen, and because they most likely used a 4x3 screen and you will most likely be using a 16x9 screen, that burnt area of the tubes won't be used by you.

If you're incredibly, stupidly lucky, then all 3 tubes are minty. Highly unlikely. Probably a 2% chance of this happening given what you've said. The only way this will be possible is if most of the 5000 hours was done in standby.

Kal

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
The important thing to know here is that generally speaking the tubes in the Barco Graphics 808s are not rebuildable, meaning that you have to buy new ones for $1200USD/each. The Barco Data 808s tubes are rebuildable for $550USD/each.
THATS what I read before! Thanks for the reminder, Kal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
If you're incredibly, stupidly lucky, then all 3 tubes are minty. Highly unlikely. Probably a 2% chance of this happening given what you've said. The only way this will be possible is if most of the 5000 hours was done in standby.

Kal
Would a blind eBay purchase of a BG801 that turned out to have 42000 chassis hours but brand new tubes (all three) qualify as "incredibly, stupidly lucky"??? My first CRT PJ ever, purchased in January this year! :D

How about being handed an identical BG801 with less than 8000, hours three weeks later... along with cables, spare parts, and a couple of Extron RGB boxes "incredibly, stupidly lucky"???? :D :D :D

I guess it's true that Fate Favors the Foolish and Ships named Enterprise.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Yup. That definitely falls under the category of 'stupidly lucky'!

It usually only happens when the buyer doesn't realize the risk they're taking (ie: their first purchase done before they know better). :)

Once you KNOW the risks involved, you're never as lucky. :)

Kal

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies, unfortunately someone apparently got to the projector before me... Or, more likely, the guy selling realized that he was selling it way too cheaply (almost regardless of condition). I've saved most of the replies here though, so someday when I finally do find a projector to check-out i'll have them in-hand,

-Josh

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I used to know where their excess inventory / surplus wearhouse was... I may need to find it again!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you find out, let us know -- I'm sure if they just took down this 808 for a microdisplay, they must have more.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
An old friend was a material handler/loading dock worker there. While there, tractor trailer loads of SUN and SGI workstations would just show up... "Sales must have been a little slow, SUN needs to write these ones off." Yikes.

I was into UNIX geekery at the time, and was looking for toys in that area... all the good stuff was grabbed by a local e-goodies salvor and resold right up the street.

I definately think a trip to the PRC is in order... I wonder what are the odds of lots of surplus stuff appearing in that warehouse in late august? Room renovations, etc... Hmmmmmmm

--edit: PRC=Peoples Republic of Cambridge, for those members reading this who are unfamiliar with that particular Boston euphamism!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Shhhhh! Let's keep this between us!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.