AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to convert my existing media room(MR) to Atmos ready by adding 4 ceiling speakers. Not really a DIY guy, never did anything like this before, but after watching some YT videos, realized it's not that hard except the fishing wire through the attic part. That's where the challenge is. It's '99 built house, no inbuilt speaker wiring or a dedicated media room, I am using one of the bedrooms upstairs as MR.

Got all excited watching the ceiling speaker install videos in YT, but it didn't last long once I climbed up my attic. Found out I have a slanting roof above the media room. To make it worse, the entrance to the MR area is blocked by HVAC unit and a bunch of really wide ducts running all over the place. So it's really hard to access the ceiling let alone the wall port which is on the farthest corner of the wall(diagonal) from the entrance door. So the only way to access the MR ceiling space is around the HVAC unit, which is directly above the foyer. (High ceiling 15 ft drop down to the entrance door- tile floor:eek:).

I am attaching the MR layout as well as some pics of the attic space above. The sitting position will be the Recliner and the ceiling speakers need to be mounted in front and behind the recliner. I would really appreciate if I could get some tips from the experts here who knows what they are doing (obviously not me lol) to address my situation. My initial thought was to add another speaker wiring outlet behind ther TV, but now that I realized how difficult to access that area, I am thinking about the rear left or right wall next to the exit door for the outlet as shown in the layout. I could pull the wire around the carpet corner all the way to the other side of the room.

Is there a better suggestion? :unsure:Or you guys think the attic space is accessible on the other end of the room behind the TV? I am not sure how the previous owner installed that wall outlet? Once I tried walking over the ceiling space and accidentally stepped on the drywall, and cracked the sheetrock. I really don't want to do that over the foyer space.:(

Attachments:
Interior room layout - layout.jpg
2 .
Pic 1, 2, 3 - Attic view towards the desired wall outlet space on the corner behind the TV
HVAC - Shows the hvac ducts running across the MR ceiling area
Back wall right - Back wall surround right-side port outlet wiring on the drywall
Back wall left: Back wall surround left port outlet on the drywall

Back wall surround right port seems to have multiple layer of 2x4 stacked up for some reason and it would be hard to drill through it to access the area behind the wall(compared to the left side where the sheet rock is exposed).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Electricians are really good at wire fishing,...some of them ......... :D

You can use boards or plywood to make a path over to the wall, they make right angle drills and adapters to drill the main run down the wall..........it might be easier to cut a fish hole in the drywall below and a do whats called a hot patch on the drywall.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response unretarded.
Yeah, creating a walkway will be an option but not sure how easy that would be especially moving around the plywood through that tiny space in between the ducts. I dont really care where the outlet is, backwall is just fine with me if it works.

Also, I am a newbie with these stuffs. So could you please explain(in laymans term. lol) the below statements to me? I have no idea what you talking about. :confused:
They make right angle drills and adapters to drill the main run down the wall..........it might be easier to cut a fish hole in the drywall below and a do whats called a hot patch on the drywall.
I think I need to cut the drywall on the backwall and drill the wires through the 2x4 on the attic. Am I correct?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar issue with a slanted roof above part of the room, and then the rest of the ceiling with in floor radiant heat piping. And then the joists were perpendicular and the ceiling vintage plaster and so difficult to patch. I ended up surface mounting Focal Dome Speakers. I hid the wires behind crown molding, running the wires from the receiver up one corner of the room through plastic channel that I then painted room color. I used a smaller plastic channel to run out to the speakers away from the walls, although I considered the expensive flat cable and painting it but it didn’t seem worth the hassle and it would still have been visible. It’s considerably less obtrusive than I figured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar issue with a slanted roof above part of the room, and then the rest of the ceiling with in floor radiant heat piping. And then the joists were perpendicular and the ceiling vintage plaster and so difficult to patch. I ended up surface mounting Focal Dome Speakers. I hid the wires behind crown molding, running the wires from the receiver up one corner of the room through plastic channel that I then painted room color. I used a smaller plastic channel to run out to the speakers away from the walls, although I considered the expensive flat cable and painting it but it didn’t seem worth the hassle and it would still have been visible. It’s considerably less obtrusive than I figured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an alternative to height speakers I guess and better performance for sure.

I think I may have figured it out. My height speakers will be somewhere in the middle of the room and towards the rear. So I could use a wire fish to run the wire from the speakers to the rear wall and down. Thereafter I will hide it under the carpet or use plastic channels as you suggested. Reaching up/wiring to the other end of the room seems like a pain. This is a lot less work.

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Thanks for the response unretarded.
Yeah, creating a walkway will be an option but not sure how easy that would be especially moving around the plywood through that tiny space in between the ducts. I dont really care where the outlet is, backwall is just fine with me if it works.

Also, I am a newbie with these stuffs. So could you please explain(in laymans term. lol) the below statements to me? I have no idea what you talking about. :confused:

I think I need to cut the drywall on the backwall and drill the wires through the 2x4 on the attic. Am I correct?

Yes, you cut outlet size holes and drill from the room/bottom up, then you can cut a piece of drywall the size of the hole,..like 3 inches wide, 5 inches tall, you score the drywall to leave extra of the paper face, put drywall mud round the hole, inset the "hot patch", then smooth it out........

You can youtube it.........

If you have fancy paint texture you are not able to recreate, that option becomes less appealing.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts